SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Brad E. Schlossman @SchlossmanGF 58m58 minutes ago

Brad E. Schlossman Retweeted Casey Johnson

UND lands former Grand Forks Central star Casey Johnson https://twitter.com/Casey13Johnson/status/679728611952308224 

Casey Johnson @Casey13Johnson 

Honored and excited to announce my commitment to play for @UNDmhockey thank you to everyone who helped me get here #DreamComeTrue

Could arrive on campus next season or 17.

5 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Brad E. Schlossman @SchlossmanGF 58m58 minutes ago

Brad E. Schlossman Retweeted Casey Johnson

UND lands former Grand Forks Central star Casey Johnson https://twitter.com/Casey13Johnson/status/679728611952308224 

Casey Johnson @Casey13Johnson 

Honored and excited to announce my commitment to play for @UNDmhockey thank you to everyone who helped me get here #DreamComeTrue

Could arrive on campus next season or 17.

Is he related to the former Sioux Johnsons?  Luke and Ladue?

Edit: Question answered, Dennis Johnson's kid,not related to the others.

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He was basically a one man show at Central. Kind of like Marto when he played.

Must have watched him on TV in a state tournament.  His dad Dennis was a good player on some not so good Bjorkman teams in the 70s.

7 minutes ago, sprig said:

Must have watched him on TV in a state tournament.  His dad Dennis was a good player on some not so good Bjorkman teams in the 70s.

You're right.  I remember watching Dennis play for those teams.   Not good years for Rube.  Funny thing is, they had a JV team in the early 70s and Gino coached them, I think.  I knew some players who did not think much of Gino.   They may have been recruited by Rube but pushed by Gino at a time when he was aspiring for more than the team was delivering--I don't know.  Rube had been a hell of a coach, and Gino obviously turned out to be one.   Big difference between the drought of those years and the last 10 -15 years, though.  The Sioux have consistently been one of the top programs in the country.   In those days, they just got beat a lot.  

4 hours ago, burd said:

You're right.  I remember watching Dennis play for those teams.   Not good years for Rube.  Funny thing is, they had a JV team in the early 70s and Gino coached them, I think.  I knew some players who did not think much of Gino.   They may have been recruited by Rube but pushed by Gino at a time when he was aspiring for more than the team was delivering--I don't know.  Rube had been a hell of a coach, and Gino obviously turned out to be one.   Big difference between the drought of those years and the last 10 -15 years, though.  The Sioux have consistently been one of the top programs in the country.   In those days, they just got beat a lot.  

Wonder now if those poor teams had too many poor players, or poor coaching. They were instantly good when Gino took over as the HC, so the cupboard was not bare when Rube was fired.

43 minutes ago, sprig said:

Wonder now if those poor teams had too many poor players, or poor coaching. They were instantly good when Gino took over as the HC, so the cupboard was not bare when Rube was fired.

I really thought at the time that Bjorkman destroyed the program, and that it would never be the same. Gino was exactly what the program needed.

6 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I really thought at the time that Bjorkman destroyed the program, and that it would never be the same. Gino was exactly what the program needed.

I think Rube was kind of like Jeff Sauer but more so.  He was a very good coach at one time, but he stayed too long.  Sauer's teams never got as bad as Rube's later teams, but he faded too.

You are correct that those were not very good years for Rube.  He certainly should have gotten better results with the talent he had such as Earl Anderson, Jim Cahoon, Hangsleben.  Dennis Johnson was one of my favorite players to watch.  There were very dark days at the end of Rube's tenure.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

25 points in 14 games 

That's not exactly lighting the world on fire in high school hockey for a possible first round pick. Tufte is 22 goals 15 assists for 37 in 12 games played for comparisons sake. Again I haven't seen him play just have heard from a few people that have.

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Surprised to see Mattson jump up. I have heard he hasn't had the greatest high school season so far and has been very inconsistent.

I watched him play against Edina several weeks back.  The talent level and reach is definitely there.  He's good.  He needs to get much bigger and he must improve his motor.  A decent amount of coasting.  GR has been playing some pretty tough teams but as a previous poster noted Tufte is going bonkers right now.  Mattson should be doing the same.  I'm guessing the scouts see Mattson's skillset which is very real.

Mattson has good size at his age and will get stronger no doubt. This draft will be dominated by USA and fins early on. Jost could be one first few candiens taken anywhere from 8 on or so it seems. Down year for Canada which is rare for top top end guys as of now. Then throw in Tufte (umd) and bellows (BU) there could be a few nchc/NCAA guys taken in first round. 

2 hours ago, AZSIOUX said:

Mattson has good size at his age and will get stronger no doubt. This draft will be dominated by USA and fins early on. Jost could be one first few candiens taken anywhere from 8 on or so it seems. Down year for Canada which is rare for top top end guys as of now. Then throw in Tufte (umd) and bellows (BU) there could be a few nchc/NCAA guys taken in first round. 

Tufte has really jumped up - both he and Michael Graham were B rated when they were with the Force this Fall (both supposed to come back after their HS season is over).

On 1/6/2016 at 10:18 AM, I Ranger said:

Surprised to see Mattson jump up. I have heard he hasn't had the greatest high school season so far and has been very inconsistent.

I don't think it's a jump. ISS has had him that high all year and uh.....must not have seen him play recently.