SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Grew up in Minneapolis and went to Benilde St. Margaret's in the Twin Cities. Left the team when the coach (mistakenly) chose a different goalie and finished high school in Chicago. Good kid, good family.  athletic and competitive. Needs to keep his emotions in check. I expect him to be a good addition at UND. 

• Upvote 1

Grew up in Minneapolis and went to Benilde St. Margaret's in the Twin Cities. Left the team when the coach (mistakenly) chose a different goalie and finished high school in Chicago. Good kid, good family.  athletic and competitive. Needs to keep his emotions in check. I expect him to be a good addition at UND. 

he has the size, any NHL draft possibilities for him? Think he's 18 now. Thanks for the info 

So what's up with us going after goalies in the NAHL for the last 2? Isn't the NAHL inferior to the USHL? Curious why there are these supposedly great goalies playing in an inferior league. 

Could be many reasons.

Some kids develop later....see Ladue, Paul

Several NHL players and current D1 College Kids went through the NAHL. Some spent there junior  careers there, some moved "up" to USHL.

A lot of kids choose to play there, especially if they are maybe a late developer or realize they are going to spend 2-3 years in Juniors in all likelihood.

A good example would be Taylor Richart who is a senior at Miami.(friends with the family and have know Taylor since he was about 4 or 5). He played at Blaine and was a bit undersized coming out of high school he tried out for the Force his first year out of High School and had the opportunity to stay with them and he would have probably been in the 6th to 8th defensemen role for them that season. He also had tryout with Aberdeen in the NAHL and chose to go that route. He ended up playing on their top D pairing and getting plenty of time on power play and penalty kill. Played a top 4 role for the Force the following season and had a couple offers(Air Force and a couple Eastern Ivy League schools as he is a good student) and was planning on playing a 3rd year of juniors until Miami offered him after a summer showcase.

So what's up with us going after goalies in the NAHL for the last 2? Isn't the NAHL inferior to the USHL? Curious why there are these supposedly great goalies playing in an inferior league. 

With Peter it could be that his USHL team has a pretty good goalie there right now and the backup is an import from Sweden, so not much playing time there. I'm guessing he will be seeing better players in the NAHL, as well as start, and it peeps him for a jump to the USHL better than playing Midgets again. And If I remember right with Tomek it was because he would get to start and play right away. So it's all just a matter of situation. A lot of good goalies come out of the NAHL because they get playing time earlier and more often since there's only one goalie on the ice at a time. 

Doesn't really address your question regarding USHL vs NAHL, but the CHL added some rules to make more goalie be of Canadian nationality.  This is supposed to cause the level of goalie in USHL & NAHL etc to increase. 

Bingo. I don't believe Euro goalies can play in the CHL anymore so if they want to play NA hockey they have to go to the USHL. See Chicagos goalie. He's one of the best prospects in the world. This obviously has a trickle down effect. Tomek could have (and probably should have) played in the ushl but he followed some friends.

Edited by scpa0305

Prior to committing on Sunday afternoon, Peter called his cousin, Andrew, who is now with the Houston Astros’ organization.

“He was all for it,” Peter said. “He was so excited. He was like, ‘I can’t believe my cousin is going to be a Sioux with me.’”

Sioux indeed. 

Mitchell Mattson stayed off the point sheet last night getting 2 PIMs. Here that he isn't really getting the much points but is doing good things in the faceoff circle which we could really look forward too.

Matt Kierstad didn't play but also hear that he is turning heads in Chicago.

Collin Adams stays off the point sheet getting 2 SOG and 2 PIMs in the loss.

Christian Evers stays off the point sheet in the win, 2 SOG.

Jackson Keane stayed off the point sheet in the loss with 1 SOG.

Andrew Peski stays off the point sheet getting a shot on goal and 4 PIMs in the loss.

Peter Thome doesn't play in the loss to Brookings.

Hearing Gabe Bast still wont be back for quite some time for Penticton.

Colton Poolman gets 4 PIMs in the win.

Tyson Jost gets a goal as does Dixon Bowen in the win.

It also sounds like Dixon Bowen is starting to come together up in Penticton as well.  

My god, sprig, you misspelled lutefisk.   Uff-da.  I hope this doesn't mean you're a swede

He is if he takes his lutefisk with cream sauce.

Oh, now I see Sprig's claiming German ancestry.  Same here, Sprig, but it doesn't stop you from eating lutefisk.  I'll be filling up on it this Friday night as a matter of fact.

Oh, now I see Sprig's claiming German ancestry.  Same here, Sprig, but it doesn't stop you from eating lutefisk.  I'll be filling up on it this Friday night as a matter of fact.

you've lost your taste or maybe your sense of smell somewhere along the way:)

Edited by sprig

Well now, dagies, that explains a few things. 

Think Hoff's dad is Geir, who played on the Michigan State team that lost to the Hrkac Circus in the 1987 Natinal Championship game.

Dam, that's interesting.   Good bloodlines. 

Watched that game in a nearly empty bar in Onalaska, WI.   The water bottle incident was still pretty fresh in Wiscovites' minds then, but it was surprising how many had enough respect for the Sioux to root for them.