SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I'm no expert and things could have changed as well, but many years ago it seemed "conventional wisdom" that the BCHL was an easy league for points.   They hand them out generously because it's good for the league and the players if the stats columns are full

Dixon Bowen isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in that league, and he is older than Cakebread.  That said, some guys are going to be more role players both in the BCHL and at the next level.  That is what I expect Bowen will be.  Remember after the Minnesota High School Hockey tournament a year or so ago how many were imploring the coaches to sign three or four players from EGF? Dominating at the High School level is far different from the BCHL and even more so the USHL.  I think the coaches are wise to hold off in a lot of cases because there are a lot of good players that become available that develop later. Tucker Poolman and Johnny Simonson come to mind. 

Edited by tnt

Dixon Bowen isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in that league, and he is older than Cakebread.  That said, some guys are going to be more role players both in the BCHL and at the next level.  That is what I expect Bowen will be.  Remember after the Minnesota High School Hockey tournament a year or so ago how many were imploring the coaches to sign three or four players from EGF? Dominating at the High School level is far different from the BCHL and even more so the USHL.  I think the coaches are wise to hold off in a lot of cases because there are a lot of good players that become available that develop later. Tucker Poolman and Johnny Simonson come to mind. 

Bowen does have a decent amount of skill however, I actually thought he would be putting up better numbers.  The fact Easton Brodzinski is finding success while Bowen is struggling is shocking to me.  I watched several Blaine games last year and never thought Easton was outstanding, simply a pretty good high school player.  Bowen was dominant.  Now I fully understand the BCHL is much different league than single A MN high school hockey however I was expecting a better start out of Bowen.  Especially given the team he's on.  Here's hoping to him picking it up; I think it would be very wise of him to spend another year up there or in Fargo.  For confidence reasons.

Edited by scpa0305

Bowen does have a decent amount of skill however, I actually thought he would be putting up better numbers.  The fact Easton Brodzinski is finding success while Bowen is struggling is shocking to me.  I watched several Blaine games last year and never thought Easton was outstanding, simply a pretty good high school player.  Bowen was dominant.  Now I fully understand the BCHL is much different league than single A MN high school hockey however I was expecting a better start out of Bowen.  Especially given the team he's on.  Here's hoping to him picking it up; I think it would be very wise of him to spend another year up there or in Fargo.  For confidence reasons.

No doubt they all have some pretty good skill.  Just saying unless you are really elite, it might be better to hold off on projecting someone until they have faced stiffer competition because let's face it, UND can get a lot of recruits that develop later because of their name in the college hockey world and facilities.  Cakebread produced early on in his USHL career, but not so much later. Even though I understand why, most people have written off Cakebread, and he is even younger than Bowen.  I will always be in favor of having a little flexibility to bring in the late developing player, transfer, or mind changers, like Gaudreau, Pecararo, or Conway, even though I don't always like the circumstances involved in them "changing their mind".  

Edited by tnt

I don't remember a lot of people saying for coaches to go sign the EGF guys immediately but more just saying that team had a lot of D1 prospects to keep an eye on. UND has already signed C.Poolman and Bowen off that 1st EGF Championship team now and they are keeping close tabs on guys Tye Ausmus in the USHL and Tweten and G.Loven who will be SRs this year. I'm not sure how many of them will end up at UND but I would be surprised if there isn't 5-6 players off that team that play D1 hockey somewhere.

Edited by SiouxScore

From what I've heard he is one of the fastest players on the team and creates a lot of chances but has been a little snake-bitten and just not able to finish chances which his something he is usually pretty solid at. Numbers may not show it but Bowen is playing very well in the BCHL. 

From what I've heard he is one of the fastest players on the team and creates a lot of chances but has been a little snake-bitten and just not able to finish chances which his something he is usually pretty solid at. Numbers may not show it but Bowen is playing very well in the BCHL. 

I guess I'll have to take you word on that.  A wise man once told me "you're only as good as you are on paper" and that seems to work for most things in life :).  All kidding aside, I hope you are right because even low level grinders playing for some less recognizable schools put up very good numbers in that league.  Here's to a state correction coming soon.  

Edited by scpa0305

A wise man once told me "you're only as good as you are on paper" 

Well, I think i get your main point, but if this was strictly accurate then all that "paper scouting" I've been doing over the last 15 years by reading junior stat lines, etc. is actually worth something.   And typically it's proven to not be (worth anything).

Well, I think i get your main point, but if this was strictly accurate then all that "paper scouting" I've been doing over the last 15 years by reading junior stat lines, etc. is actually worth something.   And typically it's proven to not be (worth anything).

My comment was actually referring to most things in life, not simply hockey or sports.  It was kind of a joke, but but somewhat applies to most things.

As for your comment, you are correct you can't only look at numbers.  However, I too track stats a lot.  Actually from what I have found, many players who put up solid numbers at one level typically find close to similar success at the next level at some point in time.  Now obviously players' stats will most likely decline moving up from level to level until eventually they cannot move up any longer (they are forced to retire or are in the NHL :) ).  On the flip side, there are always those outliers.  Many on this forum constantly bring up Johnny Brodzinski as an outlier, which is correct.  However, where I disagree with you is that looking at stat progression is meaningless, because it is not.  

Edited by scpa0305

Got down to Aberdeen tonight. Peter Thome has a lot of potential. Technically he needs work but lots of raw talent. He makes himself big  and gets a piece of everything though. He's also gritty he's not afraid to make contact with you. Wouldn't be surprised if drops the gloves every now and than. 

Dec iss Jost #13

Wow, if this list came to be, Boston University would have 5 first round picks.  While that is unbelievable, you really have to be able to maneuver your roster in future years not knowing when some of these guys will be leaving.  It is a good problem to have in a way, but with so many teams winning with a good core group of upperclassmen, you have to wonder if this will pan out for them.  

Wow, if this list came to be, Boston University would have 5 first round picks.  While that is unbelievable, you really have to be able to maneuver your roster in future years not knowing when some of these guys will be leaving.  It is a good problem to have in a way, but with so many teams winning with a good core group of upperclassmen, you have to wonder if this will pan out for them.  

Boston is getting who they want these days. 

I'd sat we'really doing pretty darn good, too :)

Agreed.  But what they're doing now is what we were doing in the mid 2000's.  Sometimes we need to take the blinders off and appreciate what other schools are doing as well. :)

Quinn is doing a fine job as a recruiter so far.

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 1