SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Recruit Max Gerlach has signed with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL

http://www.tigershockey.com/article/tigers-sign-gerlach

Never really thought of Gerlach as much of a risk to go the WHL believe when he committed he had said he was a big fan of Sioux hockey and always dreamed of playing for UND. Not sure how true it actually is but seems to me kids outside our traditional recruiting areas are a lot bigger risk of bolting for the CHL. Gerlach from Texas, Miller from Ohio, Koules from California, and Mantha from Michigan to name some.

I'm not very familiar with all the Canadian leagues. Which are the ones that end someone's eligibility, and which ones are they still good to go the NCAA route?

WHL, OHL, and QMJHL end a player eligibility.

BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, MJHL, SIJHL, NOJHL, OJHL, CCHL, QJHL and MHL doesn't end a players eligibility.

The NCAA might as well end the stupid rule against players that play major juniors since players can be paid in the NCAA now.

WHL, OHL, and QMJHL end a player eligibility.

BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, MJHL, SIJHL, NOJHL, OJHL, CCHL, QJHL and MHL doesn't end a players eligibility.

The NCAA might as well end the stupid rule against players that play major juniors since players can be paid in the NCAA now.

Thank you! If you don't follow the Canadian side of it, it's hard to keep track of.

We'll fill gerlach's spot. He is slick but he isn't high end. Somewhat shocked though, he doesn't project to be a first rounder or anything. His parents are probably pushing his "development". Some chl scouts filled their heads with bs. Hopefully this kid has something extra that gets him to the show. Sort of a salty post I know.

We'll fill gerlach's spot. He is slick but he isn't high end. Somewhat shocked though, he doesn't project to be a first rounder or anything. His parents are probably pushing his "development". Some chl scouts filled their heads with bs. Hopefully this kid has something extra that gets him to the show. Sort of a salty post I know.

I don't think it's salty.  And I agree with your points.

I think he would have been a good college player, but not great.  It's not comparable to when we lost Miller to the Canadian Juniors...

Never really thought of Gerlach as much of a risk to go the WHL believe when he committed he had said he was a big fan of Sioux hockey and always dreamed of playing for UND. Not sure how true it actually is but seems to me kids outside our traditional recruiting areas are a lot bigger risk of bolting for the CHL. Gerlach from Texas, Miller from Ohio, Koules from California, and Mantha from Michigan to name some.

Anyone think that it had something to do with Hak leaving? Maybe some dumb CHL scouts filled his and his parents heads that Berry isn't as good of a coach as Hak because he had his shot in the NHL and couldn't handle it. Not saying any of that is true but you never know with those slimy scouts in the CHL...

Anyone think that it had something to do with Hak leaving? Maybe some dumb CHL scouts filled his and his parents heads that Berry isn't as good of a coach as Hak because he had his shot in the NHL and couldn't handle it. Not saying any of that is true but you never know with those slimy scouts in the CHL...

I don't think it had much to do with Hak leaving...Bubs is a very solid coach and is well respected.  This kid is from Dallas, his parents probably got an earful from some CHL scout about the upside of the CHL and that is the route he's taking.  The "fast track". His parents aren't "in the know" I'm guessing.  What is telling is that many former hockey guys push the college route, unless their kids are phenoms early, because they know the business and know how important getting a degree is.  I think the CHL are great leagues however there is a significant amount of risk going there too.  Only the elite should be playing in the CHL.

That wasn't the big issue. The issue was that players can be under NHL contract and be "sent down" to the CHL, which essentially makes it a minor league feeder to the NHL. Basically, it's a poor paying AHL with an upper age limit.

I don't think it had much to do with Hak leaving...Bubs is a very solid coach and is well respected.  This kid is from Dallas, his parents probably got an earful from some CHL scout about the upside of the CHL and that is the route he's taking.  The "fast track". His parents aren't "in the know" I'm guessing.  What is telling is that many former hockey guys push the college route, unless their kids are phenoms early, because they know the business and know how important getting a degree is.  I think the CHL are great leagues however there is a significant amount of risk going there too.  Only the elite should be playing in the CHL.

We know that Hak leaving wasn't going to be a big deal with Bubs as the coach but does a recruits parents? All they see is Hak leaving for the pros and now that might set his development back. Then these CHL scouts come in and play off of that which will get the player and his parents questioning where he should go.

We know that Hak leaving wasn't going to be a big deal with Bubs as the coach but does a recruits parents? All they see is Hak leaving for the pros and now that might set his development back. Then these CHL scouts come in and play off of that which will get the player and his parents questioning where he should go.

Potentially, yes.  Real hockey parents will understand who Bubs is though.  But to your point, you are probably right.

Berry was more involved with recruiting than Hak, the assistants do more of the real recruiting. The parents probably know Berry and Dane Jackson better than they know Hak. One of the other recruits said that Berry getting the job was the main reason for staying committed to UND when Hak left, he was very comfortable with Berry and Dane. I would guess that most of the recruits feel the same way, so the change in coaches probably isn't a factor in his decision to play in Canada.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't read into that much if at all as every few years a kid or two bails. Kid changed his mid big deal. None of us know his situation overall. Not sure why some get so emotionaly invested in kids who aren't even on campus yet or even care and bash them when they choose the dub. Last minute bailing like miller is a different story completely but still oh well. Hak and company(now berry) knew for the most part who could be risks and you have seen the recruiting change at UND drastically the last 3-4 years. Almost local/minny kids will fill the roster this year and the next few.

Some kids never make it to UND because they peak at 16/17 after a commitment and flatten out. UND will put the writing on the wall for said players basically sayiing proably best to open the recruiting again. So it goes both ways to an extent.

Go North Dakota North Stars!!

• Upvote 3

I hope they go with North Stars, Lou Nanne is going to piss and moan even more!

That is possibly the worst one in my opinion. People already think Fargo is in Minnesota, why would we name our flagship program after Minnesota, the North Star State?

• Upvote 3

That is possibly the worst one in my opinion. People already think Fargo is in Minnesota, why would we name our flagship program after Minnesota, the North Star State?

... but maybe we can differentiate by calling ourselves the University of North Dakota Northern North Stars!

I agree that it isn't that great of a name but I just want that boob (Nanne) to get his undies all in a bunch. Just like when Parise spurned him and his little buddy during their visit to Shattuck to try and get Parise to play at the UofM.

I agree that it isn't that great of a name but I just want that boob (Nanne) to get his undies all in a bunch. Just like when Parise spurned him and his little buddy during their visit to Shattuck to try and get Parise to play at the UofM.

Ha. I understand the sentiment, I just don't want a lifetime of being associated with that State for a moment of entertainment.

I have to say, I was not a fan of Nanne for a while, especially with trying to lure Parise away, after committing to UND, but I have warmed up to him a little bit with listening to him talk on KFAN, and if you ever want top notch hockey talk, listen to Nanne and Phil Esposito talk about old time hockey when they are on Barreiro on KFAN. That is fun hockey talk.

• 4 weeks later...