SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

USA Connelly commits terrible major; Canada scores three on the power play. 5-3 Canada. Five to play.

Was the major a legit call?

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

100%

Could have called head contact or charge or boarding.

And that's a kid that many questioned being on the team.  

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12534528-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-scouting-reports-from-the-world-u18-championship

Chris Peters draft scouting report from the U18 champs includes this bit on Emery:

EJ Emery, D, USA

I’ve made no secret about how much I’ve liked Emery this season and this tournament only enhanced my belief in this player. He does not have a first-round point total, but I think he’s going to play a long time in the NHL. He’s big, he can skate and as he showed in this tournament, he can really defend against high-end players. He played big minutes and thrived in the role Team USA needed him to play. It’s been two years of growing into his game and while the offensive elements are not developed as much, his defensive game, mobility, ability to close and defend the rush are all traits that I feel will make him a solid No. 4 at the NHL level. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

First Force game I attended in a while. When I first seen Swanson on the ice I thought he was too young to be playing. He fooled me, carried the mail and finished the play. He had a couple of hits that really rattled the boards. He will fit right in.

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

First Force game I attended in a while. When I first seen Swanson on the ice I thought he was too young to be playing. He fooled me, carried the mail and finished the play. He had a couple of hits that really rattled the boards. He will fit right in.

I'm hoping he's another Ryan Duncan or Evan Trupp.

image.png.86d52fc1b8f82d99185d3336e5608108.png

It’s not easy to score 30 goals in the USHL in your draft year, let alone 35-plus, and this year’s Muskegon team has had two players do that in Boisvert and Matvei Gridin. It’s even harder to do as a center who is counted upon and keyed in on. But as one rival USHL coach put it to me: "Sacha Boisvert is a really good player.” Boisvert, a top prospect in Quebec growing up who was a first-round pick into the QMJHL even after he’d gone to the U.S. for the final two years of his minor hockey, is a North Dakota commit who was named to the USHL’s All-Rookie Second Team last year after he finished third on the Lumberjacks in scoring as a 16-year-old. As a 17-year-old, he was named an alternate captain for Muskegon and has played big minutes, often playing 20-24 in the second half of the season before finishing fifth in the league in goals (36) and 11th in points (68 in 61).

Boisvert’s got desired height and position on his side, room to fill out his once-wiry frame (which he already added a bunch of muscle to last summer; he still looks lean with further growth to come), and NHL skill and competitiveness. Intangibles come up a lot when you speak to people about him (he even dropped the gloves a few times this year, including in the playoffs). The skill includes a quick and accurate NHL-level release, good instincts on and off the puck, above-average feet (he's a decent skater, even if a little upright in his stance), a developing power game and great feel with the puck on his stick both at speed and in slowing the game down (though a high grip and long stick can occasionally limit him with the puck so far out in front of his body). Add in his impressive work ethic and a two-way commitment and there’s a lot to like. He’s got to put some more weight on and improve in the faceoff circle (which will come with more strength) but there’s a projectable game there with the right development/refinement and I’m confident the staff at North Dakota will do a good job with him. He’s got middle-six upside and there was some top-15 chatter about him late in the year, but after struggling to be a game-changer in tighter playoff games, I wonder if that has softened.

• Upvote 2

image.png.fe45cb6d1ad620c3db4c3bfe77285bc2.png

Emery is a plus-level skater with athletic genes (he's the son of former CFL linebacker Eric Emery) and a projectable makeup given his size, handedness and two-way quality.

His offense isn’t natural but he has taken enough steps in the way he sees the ice and moves pucks to complement his other two-way pro qualities. Emery is capable of owning his ice defensively (though there are times when scouts would like to see him be a little meaner/harder), continues to show growth handling and transporting pucks (especially in transition) and has major steps that he can continue to take in his development because of a very wiry frame that has clear room for significant gains (it’s my understanding that he has worked very hard at it, eating a ton and training a ton, but his metabolism just burns right through it). He was the best pure defender at the program this year and I think his man-to-man D in the defensive zone (which is a strength!) could still be polished even more and use a little urgency at times. He’s got a beautiful glide to his skating and can quickly jump into/gallop into his stride when he needs to pull away. He's got a good, disruptive stick and feet defending the rush and breaks up a lot of plays in zone and in transition with his timing and reads. He has become more poised and has shown at times that he can be physically imposing (despite how slight he looks, he’s quite strong, which is exciting for what could still be ahead). He’ll block shots. And while his skill level isn’t a strength, he has shown good instincts on when to jump into the play, he was owed a little more in terms of counting stats this season, and because of how he defends and skates, he projects as an effective five-on-five defender and potential penalty killer. Though Emery was raised and developed in British Columbia and his mom is Canadian, his dad is American and he chose the NTDP-to-college route and has committed to the University of North Dakota, where he’ll be in good hands. He’s going to need time and patience to develop the finer qualities of his game and learn to impose himself more consistently on both sides of the puck, but he’s a late-first/early second-round pick all day for me and stamped his draft season with an excellent showing at U18 worlds. I debated ranking him higher here. The improved offense opens up all sorts of potential, even if it's still not fully confident.

Hopefully E.J. Emery is here for two plus seasons, a lot will depend on who drafts him.  Late first round/early second from the looks of it, but if you're a team that needs help on the back end taking a 6-4 kid that is a defensive defenseman is never the wrong choice.

A lot of those teams in the top 10 would get a gift to get a top ten kid and then him early in round 2.   

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hopefully E.J. Emery is here for two plus seasons, a lot will depend on who drafts him.  Late first round/early second from the looks of it, but if you're a team that needs help on the back end taking a 6-4 kid that is a defensive defenseman is never the wrong choice.

A lot of those teams in the top 10 would get a gift to get a top ten kid and then him early in round 2.   

He’s going to be a good one. I would assume he’s more of a 3 yr player at least to work on his O game. Bad as you alluded, a lot will depend on who drafts him. 

• Upvote 3

This guy is a Brandon MB native who's played in the Brandon or Winkler system since 2014. Seems to like to stay close to home. But what is Acadia U that UND "stole" him from per Elite Prospects? 
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/416924/dalton-andrew 

My guess: he's a project forward; likely the F14/15 this fall and see if he can develop. Guessing he has a hole in his game* that needs fixing at the NCAA level. And you can't teach 6'5" so there's that. 

*That's not an insult; when Mike Commodore got here he needed double-runner skates. But that got fixed. 

Exactly what I was hoping for with one of the last two F spots. Slot him in as the 14F, long term development. Won't take minutes from the other FR.