SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

USA Hockey 18U National Tourney in Vegas. Zellers & SSM in the semifinals today. 

Zellers' number still climbing. 4 tucks 1 apple (announced 2A, but score sheet only has 1) in the quarter finals. 5 points still a pretty good game. 4th goal was a ridiculous unassisted bank shot off the goalie's knee. 

He leads the Tourney in goals & points.

Season total: 52 games 53 goals 52 assists = 105 points.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2024youthtieri18u

Image 4-6-24 at 1.42 PM.jpeg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mygarske said:

USA Hockey 18U National Tourney in Vegas. Zellers & SSM in the semifinals today. 

Zellers' number still climbing. 4 tucks 1 apple (announced 2A, but score sheet only has 1) in the quarter finals. 5 points still a pretty good game. 4th goal was a ridiculous unassisted bank shot off the goalie's knee. 

He leads the Tourney in goals & points.

Season total: 52 games 53 goals 52 assists = 105 points.

Image 4-6-24 at 1.42 PM.jpeg

Looks like they’re in a bit of trouble at the moment 

Since his high school season ended, and he rejoined Tri City, Cooper Simpson has really picked up his scoring, with 2 goals and an assist tonight on 8 shots. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Since his high school season ended, and he rejoined Tri City, Cooper Simpson has really picked up his scoring, with 2 goals and an assist tonight on 8 shots. 

I was going to mention this also. Tri City recently moved him to their top line. I think they moved him there last weekend. I like how much he shoots the puck. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Update: Shattuck won in OT 5-4. Zellers had the game winner - his 4th goal of the game. 

Really interested to see how he does next season when he moves up a level.
The kid dominated this year...can't wait to see him at UND if he can keep up with this level of progress!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Cooper Simpson with 3 and 2 in two games this weekend. Great to see! Games starting to slow a bit for him.

Wonder why Pilgrim isn’t playing 

12 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

I say get him on an intense weight program, and bring him in this fall. 

If he gives the coaching staff an ultimatum that it’s college this fall or he’s going to a different team, you can bet the house they will bring him in. I think our freshman class coming in this year is crazy good and if he came too it would be unreal. The youth and size might be a problem but you have to think they’d be cooking strong by the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe Zellers is headed into his senior year of high school. Not college eligible. 

No, he graduates this spring. Commitment article indicates he will play USHL next season so that is going to be my continued assumption until we hear differently. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:36 PM, dustnyou said:

SSM wins the U18 Natty. Zellers with 14 pts (9 goals) in 6gp. 

Zellers had back to back 4 goal games, including the OT winner mentioned earlier. 

Full article from USA Hockey on the semifinal game: https://nationals.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1306198

"Shattuck-St. Mary’s and William Zellers refused to be denied on Saturday evening.

Shattuck-St. Mary’s scored four unanswered goals to rally for a 5-4 overtime victory Saturday afternoon against the Long Island Gulls. 

William Zellers finished with four goals, including the overtime winner when he capped the come-from-behind victory with an absolute blister of a shot with 14:47 left in the extra frame."

"Zellers has been a force in the Tier I 18U tournament. He leads all players with nine goals and ranks No. 1 in total points (14)."

Image 4-9-24 at 9.43 AM.jpeg

This weekend Mac Swanson has a chance to help the Fargo Force become the first team in USHL history to win 50 or more games in a season. (Des Moines won 48 games in a 56-game season in 1998-99). Fargo is currently 49-9. They've scored the most goals and allowed the fewest goals in the USHL.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I don't know if Mac Swanson's game is like Jackson Blake's, but look at the similarity between Swanson's current season and Blake's 2021-22 season with the Chicago Steel, both of which were the players' age-18 seasons:

• Swanson 53 GP: 25 G, 50 A, 75 points, 1.42 PPG
  • Blake 61 GP: 27 G, 50 A, 77 points, 1.26 PPG

I know it was their age 18 seasons, but I believe blake had already been drafted prior to that second USHL season. Really excited for this Swanson kid. All he does is fill it. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I know it was their age 18 seasons, but I believe blake had already been drafted prior to that second USHL season. Really excited for this Swanson kid. All he does is fill it. 

You are correct: Blake had been drafted prior to his final season in the USHL.

I'm really excited for Swanson too. If there's a silver lining to losing both Gaber (it doesn't feel like we *lost* Gaber, but he could have returned) and Blake, it's that Swanson and Boisvert will probably get to be featured earlier and more often next season than they would have otherwise. Hopefully that will help them acclimate and develop quickly. 

• Upvote 1