SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

Jaksen had 18 goals 10 assists in 22 games his freshman season with EGF, while Jace had 4 goals and 13 assists in 31 games.  I know it isn't apples to apples, but those numbers are quite different. 

Jaksen was sophomore age as a freshman (aka couldn't play bantams). Jace started the year playing Bantam AA before HS.

9 hours ago, ChadR said:

Jaksen was sophomore age as a freshman (aka couldn't play bantams). Jace started the year playing Bantam AA before HS.

Then we’ll expect to see Jace committing to a major program soon?

22 hours ago, ChadR said:

Yep I remember his birthdate looking odd. Same with the Moorhead (I.e Fargo ) kid this year. Nothing to take away from their talent. They are/were very old freshman who couldn’t even play bantams by rule.

On 3/15/2024 at 9:19 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Sorry, but no. When he comes to REA as a Beaver, he's no different than anyone else on the visitors bench. I don't wish him ill, but I'm not switching teams either.

i guess it doesn't need to be said that i hope he loses every game he plays against UND and only wins a natty bc we lose a triple ot thriller in a regional (again)

• Upvote 1

Wheeler’s new draft ranking analysis has Zellers coming in next year. Sometimes these guys just guess, by wheeler does his homework and is fairly tapped into what’s going on. I had always heard Zellers is taking a slower approach and wanted to play a full year of juniors. Change of plan? I mean, he most likely going to go in the second, maybe early third.

33 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Updated as of 4/1

• Removed Panzer as a recruit
  • Most of their seasons are either winding down or have already finished
  • Croal finished the season strong, now avg a pt/gm
  • Strathmann will need to cut down on penalties next season...he's gotten 100+ PIM every USHL season
  • Heil got added to the U18 team late season...his save % is much better in the 2 games compared to his season avg with Sioux Falls

USHL (Forwards)

• Croal (Muskegon) - '03: 54gp - 22g/32a
  • Slipec (Chicago) - '05: 49gp - 2g/7a
  • Klee (Muskegon) - '05: 58gp - 13g/23a
  • Swanson (Fargo) - '06: 52gp - 25g/48a
  • Boisvert (Muskegon) - '06: 57gp - 34g/28a
  • O'Neill (NTDP U17) - '07: 50gp - 5g/7a

USHL (Defenseman)

• Jubenvill (Dubuque) - '03: 49gp - 7g/10a
  • Strathmann (Youngstown) - '05: 44gp - 7g/28a
  • Emery (NTDP U18) - '06: 51gp - 0g/11a
  • Laurila (NTDP U18) - '06: 51gp - 2g/7a
  • Lindberg (NTDP U17) - '07: 50gp - 1g/8a

USHL (Goalies)

• Heil (Sioux Falls) - '06: USHL - 19gp - .850/4.32 (6-10-1) /// NTDP U18 - 2gp - .925/3.05 (1-0-0)

Other

• Pilgrim - MN HS - '06: 31gp - 32g/38a
  • Zellers - SSM - '06: 48gp - 48g/47a
  • Schultz - MN HS - '06: 28gp - 23g/34a
  • Littler - BCHL - '04: 24gp - 9g/12a
  • Simpson - MN HS - '07: 27gp - 29g/25a
  • McInnis (AJHL/BCHL) - '06: 24gp - 5g/9a

Zellers' numbers are insane.

• Like 1

Strathmann daren't become Kleven 2.0. If he's getting sat by the USHL the NCAA will reopen Alcatraz for him. 

Zellers, like I said last fall, is likely playing at the wrong level right now. Based on his DOB he should be with Emery, Laurilla, and the U18s. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Strathmann daren't become Kleven 2.0. If he's getting sat by the USHL the NCAA will reopen Alcatraz for him. 

Zellers, like I said last fall, is likely playing at the wrong level right now. Based on his DOB he should be with Emery, Laurilla, and the U18s. 

Bring him in. He will be ready come tournament time.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Zellers' numbers are insane.

They are…but one thing to keep in mind is that SSM is way better than their comp, so they typically put up video game numbers. It is positive he’s leading the team however. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The USHL is way more suspension-happy than the NCAA. They suspend multiple guys with multiple game suspensions on the regular. 

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

They are…but one thing to keep in mind is that SSM is way better than their comp, so they typically put up video game numbers. It is positive he’s leading the team however. 

SSM kids also typically do well at the college level, including a lot of UND players: Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Jonathan Toews, Brady Murray, Ryan Duncan, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, Taylor Chorney. That is why it surprised me when UND wanted Scott Morrow to play a year of juniors after excelling at SSM. He was the 2nd leading scorer on UMass as a Freshman, and has been the leading scorer for UMass as a sophomore and junior and he's a defenseman. 

3 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

SSM kids also typically do well at the college level, including a lot of UND players: Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Jonathan Toews, Brady Murray, Ryan Duncan, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, Taylor Chorney. That is why it surprised me when UND wanted Scott Morrow to play a year of juniors after excelling at SSM. He was the 2nd leading scorer on UMass as a Freshman, and has been the leading scorer for UMass as a sophomore and junior and he's a defenseman. 

Yep morrow is really good.

Just now, skateshattrick said:

How long ago did those guys you mentioned play college hockey? These are different times. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

How long ago did those guys you mentioned play college hockey? These are different times. 

I think what he’s saying is that the skill of their tier 1 league is really good. It’s definitely not as heavy as juniors…but typically every team has a few really skilled guys. So not as tough as junior but def better than mn hs hockey.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Really? How about Scott Morrow, Macklin Celebrini (BU), Cole Eiserman (BU commit), William Whitelaw (UW), Brendan Brisson (Michigan), Jackson LaCombe (Anaheim Ducks). SSM regularly produces college and NHL talent. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Really? How about Scott Morrow, Macklin Celebrini (BU), Cole Eiserman (BU commit), William Whitelaw (UW), Brendan Brisson (Michigan), Jackson LaCombe (Anaheim Ducks). SSM regularly produces college and NHL talent. 

And almost all of those guys ended up in junior hockey AFTER Shattuck. That’s my point. They rarely go straight to the NCAA anymore 

32 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

And almost all of those guys ended up in junior hockey AFTER Shattuck. That’s my point. They rarely go straight to the NCAA anymore 

That is not entirely true. Morrow went straight to UMass from Shattuck, LaCombe played 3 games after finishing at SSM and went straight to Minnesota. Celebrini played a year in the USHL as a 16 year old (he is still only 17) and Eiserman is 17 and is on the the US National U18 team. There are still many SSM alumni that go straight to college, or if they play in the USHL or US National Team, it is because they are underage. The point is that SSM still produces top talent that are capable of going straight to college. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Well celebrini was super good and young…Lacombe didn’t play a full season of juniors. So there is the exception, but you’d have to be really good to not play a year of juniors. Which is basically what you’re implying…I agree.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well celebrini was super good and young…Lacombe didn’t play a full season of juniors. So there is the exception, but you’d have to be really good to not play a year of juniors. Which is basically what you’re implying…I agree.

The elephant in the room is Morrow. Let's not do that again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1