SiouxSports.com Forum

Genoway

jloos

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the linesman can't have made the call, linesmen can't call penalties.

Actually, yes they can.

They're the main callers of Too many men penalties and can call penalties in certain circumstances. They're typically discouraged from doing so.

I've witnessed penalties like interference and roughing being called on Greene by ARs.

Its rare, but it happens.

Actually, yes they can.

They're the main callers of Too many men penalties and can call penalties in certain circumstances. They're typically discouraged from doing so.

I've witnessed penalties like interference and roughing being called on Greene by ARs.

Its rare, but it happens.

Two many men, off-sides, and icing are the calls most commonly made by the linesman. The NCAA rule book states the following for the duties of a linesman and then a ref in regards to penalties.

SECTION 4. The linesman's duties are as follows:

a. Determine infractions of the rules concerning offsides and icing.

b. Conduct faceoffs.

c. Stop play:

1. When the puck goes outside the playing area;

2. For encroachment into the faceoff area;

3. For the puck being played with a high stick or hand pass;

4. For the goal cage becoming dislodged;

5. For premature substitution of a goalkeeper (see 2-5-a);

6. For injured player(s) (see 2-6-a, d) and officials;

7. For too many players on the ice;

8. When a stick, puck or any foreign object is thrown on the ice;

9. To report a goal not observed by the referee;

10. To report an ineligible player playing the puck; and

11. When a player or goalkeeper's helmet becomes dislodged.

d. At the first stoppage of play, the linesman must report to the referee any

incident or conduct calling for a penalty.

REFEREE:

a. Have general supervision of the game and full control of game officials and players from the time the teams exit their dressing rooms, during the

warm-up, during the game, including any stoppages or interruptions of play, and after the game until such time as the teams enter their dressing

rooms.

In case of any dispute, the referee may change the decision or that of any other official, provided the change is made before play is renewed.

The referee decision is final; there is no appeal.

d. Assess such penalties as prescribed by the rules for infractions thereof, to stop play for any other infraction of the rules and to give final decisions

in the matters of disputed goals. The referee may, in matters of disputed goals, consult with other on-ice officials before making a decision.

e. Announce to the official scorer or penalty timekeeper all goals and assists legally scored, as well as penalties, and for what infractions such

penalties are assessed. However, conferences and tournament directors may determine an alternate policy for awarding assists.

The referee shall ensure that the name of the goal scorer and any player entitled to an assist are announced on the public-address system. If a goal is disallowed for

any violation of the rules, the referees shall report the reason for the disallowance to the official scorer, who shall announce the referees' decision over the publicaddress

system.

The infraction of the rules for which each penalty has been assessed shall be announced over the public-address system.

From what I understand from refs that I know, the linesman may make a recommendation to the ref for a penalty, but is not allowed to call it. But I could be wrong.

But aren't the linesmen now AR's? More power, wider jurisdiction?

Looking at the rule book, the AR designation was a semantic change rather than any sort of promotion. The AR position gives them the authority to call Too Many Men penalties and make recommendations to the officials regarding penalties.

This might be what happened last night.

I still maintain it was Walsh who made the call.

I talked to a guy who is very close to the team and Chay suffered a concussion and a bruised sternum.Sounds like he is still messed up in the head.This could linger on for some time I'm afraid.

Bad thing is there is no timetable for recovery from a concussion, it is what it is. My daughter had a horrendous wreck while running hurdles a few years ago, fortunately the CT Scans came back OK but it was about 6 weeks before she got back to full speed, first 3 weeks she was pretty out of it, slept a lot.

Bad thing is there is no timetable for recovery from a concussion, it is what it is. My daughter had a horrendous wreck while running hurdles a few years ago, fortunately the CT Scans came back OK but it was about 6 weeks before she got back to full speed, first 3 weeks she was pretty out of it, slept a lot.
Wasn't it Finley last year who took so long to comeback because of a concussion?

Wasn't it Finley last year who took so long to comeback because of a concussion?

Finley is just one of a long list of athletes that have suffered from concussions and the problems they can cause. Brent Burns of the Minnesota Wild suffered a concussion last year and missed the last portion of the season. Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Petr Sykora are both currently out with the injure, PMB has missed 15 games so far.

Some mild concussions can heal rather quickly. Some athletes have had careers ended by concussion. Contributing factors can include the grade or severity of the injury, whether it is happened before or not and how fast the individual heals. Repetitive injuries seem to multiply the effects in at least some cases. Many football players and boxers are still suffering the effects of concussions they had years ago. Troy Aikman is one example of a football player that retired because of a series of concussions. Muhammed Ali's current condition is thought to be at least in part due to a series of concussions from his boxing days. Eric Lindros' career was shortened by a series of concussions.

The bottom line is that the brain is nothing to fool around with. If Chay has suffered a concussion let's hope that it was mild and that he heals quickly and completely.

Very serious stuff. Hope Chay comes out of it healthy.

Losing Genoway even for a short time hurts--last night was pretty good evidence of that. But if the Sioux can keep winning enough to stay in the NCAA pool, having him out for a time might force others on the blue line and PP to grow their game in ways they might not have otherwise.

Very serious stuff. Hope Chay comes out of it healthy.

Losing Genoway even for a short time hurts--last night was pretty good evidence of that. But if the Sioux can keep winning enough to stay in the NCAA pool, having him out for a time might force others on the blue line and PP to grow their game in ways they might not have otherwise.

Power play looks horrible without him out there.

Power play looks horrible without him out there.

Unreal how noticeable it is to be without him, lugging the puck up the ice into the offensive zone, both on the PP and 5x5. Just before that Marvin cheap shot, Chay once again was carrying the puck up the ice, it was Marvin he left in the dust back in the Sioux end (looked initially like Marvin could catch him on the back-check, but there was no comparison in speed), Marvin was left way behind, then finally showed up to deliver the blow to the head.

If I ever see Kristo out there on the point during a power play again it'll be too soon.

couldn't agree with you more. can anyone tell me the last shorty we gave up that wasn't kristo mishandling the puck?? i love kristo as a forward, but i don't think he is cut out to run the point. the point on the pp has to be able to handle and move the puck with confidence, which i think is what he is lacking back there, plus he just wants to get his shot off ;) he would be more dangerous in duncs old spot. i think saturday was a good example of just how much genoway means to this team... i hope he can make it back with full health this season, i agree with whoever said i'll be surprised if its before the new year. i know that we're just a bunch of sioux fans whining, but we can't be the only school who is concerned about the ineptitude of wcha officiating and the fact that players are getting hurt as a direct result of this :D

If I ever see Kristo out there on the point during a power play again it'll be too soon.

Agree, but what are our options with Genoway out??

Kristo is a big-time talent but is a Fr. who at this point is in a little too deep playing the point on the PP or winging the 1st line. I thought he looked great on Sat. playing on the 4th line. He is a huge mismatch against team's lower lines.

Cichy, Knight and Kristo could be a huge advantage for us if we can find someone to wing the last sopt on the 1st line. Malone clicked with VV and Gregoire late last year...maybe give him a shot. Hextall doesn't cut it there either.