SiouxSports.com Forum

Genoway

jloos

It sounds like Marvin is not playing tonight, so any direct retaliation will not be happening. I think this is good, gives the Sioux players a reason to focus on putting pucks in the net, and it discipline's Marvin while also protecting him from a potential injury. I think his cheap shot is despicable and discipline is certainly in order, but I hate to see any player take an injury from a retaliatory hit. Although the next time they play I'm sure he'll be wondering "when" and "who".

Brad said in an email that Marvin didn't get a game disqualification, has something changed?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those saying we would have seen a fight with Marvin, or will see fighting anyways....guess again.

The players know better than to take themselves out of a Friday night game against Denver, especially with Genoway already potentially out. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of big hits, some jawing, and a few facewashes, but I doubt anyone would try and drop the gloves.

Very true, DU is too big of a series to be without 2 starters.

Maybe they'll just knock Roe around the whole game, that would be satisfying.

Brad said in an email that Marvin didn't get a game disqualification, has something changed?

Mea culpa...

Hmm...sounds like your info is better than my info. I was going off this post from last night:

"Marvin is suspended for tomorrow's game if there is any confusion about that. It was announced on the radio."

However, Brad would know (as would you).

Throughtout this season the crapsack teams of the WCHA have been headhunting Genoway, the MTU coach admitted that he wanted his players to nail him at every opportunity. We are talking about a potential Hobey winner, but the league accomodates it and their one game suspension is obviously not effective. If this is the way it is going to be, Hak should put someone in the lineup tonight that won't play against Denver and when the opportunity presents itself he should end Lasch's season. When fans get tired enough of their star players being on the sidelines maybe McClown will be forced to do something about it.

Throughtout this season the crapsack teams of the WCHA have been headhunting Genoway, the MTU coach admitted that he wanted his players to nail him at every opportunity. We are talking about a potential Hobey winner, but the league accomodates it and their one game suspension is obviously not effective. If this is the way it is going to be, Hak should put someone in the lineup tonight that won't play against Denver and when the opportunity presents itself he should end Lasch's season. When fans get tired enough of their star players being on the sidelines maybe McClown will be forced to do something about it.

It was really obvious against MTU, he took a lot of shots in that series.

We don't need to resort to thug tactics. We are elite. We are not the "Gopher Practice Squad" like Jan Brady U.

We should not go out looking for revenge, but depending on Chay's likely status for next weekend; we could certainly be prepared to order the code red (drop 'em).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Davidson and/or Bruneteau in the lineup just in case.

I hope Hextall can keep it together...he is too valuable to us to be out next weekend. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will back away though, even if coah has ordered...

Best response is to skate hard to every puck, finish checks hard, but clean, and score on every power play you get. If you get a 4 goal lead, make it 8.

That is hard to do when all of your talent is sidelined from injury. Some of the top Sioux players shouldn't have been in the lineup when the Sioux lost to New Hampshire last year. Hak had no choice but to play them.

Here is PCM's take on losing Genoway from his USCHO article "UND appeared disorganized after losing its top defenseman"

Mea culpa...

Hmm...sounds like your info is better than my info. I was going off this post from last night:

"Marvin is suspended for tomorrow's game if there is any confusion about that. It was announced on the radio."

However, Brad would know (as would you).

I wouldn't know anymore than you. I am hoping the punk is suspended for tonight's game.

Then please Mr Rocket Scientist tell us all how we stop other teams from running Genoway. I would really like to hear a plausible solution given the bush league environment of the WCHA.

I am going to agree withyou here, the s#!t bag teams of the WCHA have been taking runs at Chay all season long, I don't have a problem with legal hits but Marvin's bush league hit last night was brutal and if it was the NHL he would be sitting at least another game or two. I also think a response is warranted.

You don't take cheap shots and try end a guys season, especially another skill player; who, by the way, HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HIT ON CHAY!

I couldn't agree more that there is some serious riff-raff in the league and a lot of it that goes uncalled. Especially when it is a bottom tier team vs a top tier team. Not that SCSU is bottom tier. They are more mid-tier.

How do we fix it? It starts with the league and the schools, they have to enforce major punishments both related to the team and being on campus.

The obvious other way is what's been done in Canada and the NHL for years. You make fighting a five minute major. If the refs don't take care of things, the players can. In order to prevent total goon thuggery we could make it that (arbitrary number here) fighting majors in one season equals x game(s) suspension.

You don't take cheap shots and try end a guys season, especially another skill player; who, by the way, HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HIT ON CHAY!

I am not sure I understand that statement, Genoway didn't have the puck, was hit from behind with an elbow and left the game. That isn't clean.

Just wondering.

First off, I still don't think Don Adam made the call. I think it was Walsh, that's why it took so long. That's why they got the wrong player. Walsh wasn't in position to make the call but knew that the hit was illegal. But Walsh is junior to Adam, so he held his arm down because Adam was there. After the play, when Adam DID call Hextall for the double minor, Walsh stepped in and convinced Adam to call the hit on Genoway as illegal and erred with the player number.

Second, Greg Shepherd was in attendence, but that's going to be no help. He loves the "I wanna be the good guy because being the bad guy could get me fired." approach (otherwise known as eunich administration). Brad brought it up on his blog, and he's right. SCSU will be put to suspending Marvin, if they do. Greg won't. So, since they enjoy this approach, I think Motzko takes a page out of Gwoz's book and simply sits Marvin down and has a"long talk" with him. Maybe he'll send an apology and a get well card to Genoway. No suspension and Greg (and the league) will buy it. If/When this does happen, I'm not going to point fingers at Motzko. Nope. This is an example of off-ice rule manipulation, much like Roe and diving is on-ice. You can't blame a coach for not wanting to shorten his bench when there's a "perfectly legal" way to get around the rules and not be held accountable for it by the league. If Marvin was a Sioux, I'd not be surprised if Hakstol did the same thing. I'd like to think (much like most fans of other teams) that their program would be moral and ethical enough to do the right thing and not stand for such behavior, but there is no incentive to do so. McLeod and Shepherd are such poor administrators that they are afraid of pissing off certain head coaches in the WCHA because it could lead to their (warranted) dismissal. If that hit were in the NHL's domain, Marvin's suspension would have hit the press before the Saturday paper was printed.

Third, who says no fight? I'd sit Knight for this game and put Davidson in the lineup. Marvin is about 6'3" tall. I say Davidson goes after Marvin in the 3rd period and coaxes him into dropping the gloves. The players I'd expect to drop the gloves (Zajac, Malone, Hextall, maybe MacWilliam, and perhaps Mario) can't be missing DU. I think Bruneteau could step in nicely, but I just don't think the tradeoff is good enough to take yet.

First off, I still don't think Don Adam made the call. I think it was Walsh, that's why it took so long. That's why they got the wrong player. Walsh wasn't in position to make the call but knew that the hit was illegal. But Walsh is junior to Adam, so he held his arm down because Adam was there. After the play, when Adam DID call Hextall for the double minor, Walsh stepped in and convinced Adam to call the hit on Genoway as illegal and erred with the player number.

Again from what I was told last night, neither of those two made the call at all, Poppa Shep did from the press box. But that is just what I was told.

You don't have to watch the entire game at fightingsioux.com. Once the video starts, just click and hold, then move your cursor to the right until you get to the right spot...it will fast forward. (don't click the FF button) Then you cn back it up and watch over and over if you wish to.

Or from Bob's link above:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

Yep. Looks like Hepp had Genoway all taken care of. Marvin even had to go AROUND Hepp to hit Genoway. What more does the league need to see in order to make the attempt to injure call?

And from the way Genoway acted when he tried to get to his feet, it reminded me of Jonny Toews after the Willie Mitchell hit. Armchair diagnosis is concussion. Genoway is out tonight... probably out for DU as well.