SiouxSports.com Forum

crowd chant

darell1976

Do the students and whichever fans joined in need to say "F-ck the Gophers" multiple times during the game? What's cool or funny about that? It's lame.

I am all for a "Gophers Suck" chant or something like that but there is no need to have thousands of people using a swear word in a chant. Its classless and there a kids throughout the stands. This isn't minor league hockey, its College.

"Gophers Suck" doesn't have a swear word in it? And here, I thought it did! :ohmy: I agree that shouting F- the Gophers multiple times during the game is a little excessive. And that cheer in and of itself is excessive, but there are some people who go and get drunk that you are never going to change..Have you ever tried talking logic with a drunk? It doesn't work.

Yes, there are kids in the stands....there are kids in the stands for Juniors games, Major Junior games, AHL games, ECHL games, NHL games, etc, etc, etc. The kids are going to get exposed to swearing, and shockingly enough they are going to get exposed to hitting and fighting at a hockey game too! You can't always protect your kids and I admire the people who try to do everything possible to keep their kids from things that they don't want them to hear. However, just know that it may not work all of the time and they are going to hear things in the world that may offend them. Part of life is learning how to deal with those things.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Gophers Suck" doesn't have a swear word in it? And here, I thought it did! :ohmy: I agree that shouting F- the Gophers multiple times during the game is a little excessive. And that cheer in and of itself is excessive, but there are some people who go and get drunk that you are never going to change..Have you ever tried talking logic with a drunk? It doesn't work.

Yes, there are kids in the stands....there are kids in the stands for Juniors games, Major Junior games, AHL games, ECHL games, NHL games, etc, etc, etc. The kids are going to get exposed to swearing, and shockingly enough they are going to get exposed to hitting and fighting at a hockey game too! You can't always protect your kids and I admire the people who try to do everything possible to keep their kids from things that they don't want them to hear. However, just know that it may not work all of the time and they are going to hear things in the world that may offend them. Part of life is learning how to deal with those things.

The problem is this wasn't "some people" yelling swear words. It was a large group (thousands) saying it in unison. That is bush league and apparently the UND Administration thinks so too.

The problem is this wasn't "some people" yelling swear words. It was a large group (thousands) saying it in unison. That is bush league and apparently the UND Administration thinks so too.

I wasn't using some people to mean 3 or 4, I know that it was a large group, but how many of them were drunk or following the crowd and going along with it to not feel left out. I am not defending the cheer, I realize that people are offended by it and while I am not, that is ok with me. My point was that people are going to hear swear words while they are in a huge crowd, that is a given. Yes, the thousands of people chanting it in unison needs to be dealt with, but I am not entirely sure what can be done about it and how UND is supposed to control thousands of peoples behavior. They can't tell the student section, "if you say the f-word, you are grounded". Kicking these people out is not going to work until the security at the Ralph starts working on a consistent basis with that....meaning whoever says it no matter what section, no matter how drunk, no matter how "good" they normally are gets kicked out then.

so do you want to go into the student section and one by one tell them to not yell swear words? or one by one kick them out? take your best shot, because i don't know how anyone proposes to change this.

this is not just a few people here. this is thousands of rowdy college students here who are more likely to do the opposite because they know security can't possibly track who started the obscene cheers. common sense here.

this is hockey.... not croquet. its rowdy and the crowd can get heated, meaning obscenities will be involved. if you don't have thick skin, well... we can't do much about that.

I did notice they chanted it quite a bit less on Saturday, we got there when the doors opened Friday and the students were already shouting it before the Gophers even hit the ice, and many times more during the game. Seemed like about half as much Saturday.

Hopefully it will be less now that the hated Goofs are gone, but there's still Denver, Wisconsin....

I remember one cheer from the mid 80's. After chanting a certain opposing players' name three times we would yell:

U! G! L! Y!,

You ain't got no alibi, you're ugly!,

Yeah you're ugly!

M! A! M! A!

We know how you got that way!

Your mama!

Yeah your mama!

I just read this in the Dakota Student opinion page. For some reason 'chanting sieve, pronounced siv', really tickled my funny bone. I'm still chuckling. :D

Aaron Q. posted 10/22/09 @ 5:06 PM CST

As much as most UND fans are probably hesistant to admit, sportsmanlike etiquette also dictates that taunting another team's goaltender after he lets in a goal (i.e. chanting 'sieve', pronounced 'siv') is not appropriate. If we, as a crowd, can be a bit more civil, maybe karma will grant us another National Championship this year.

Maybe there should be some sort of emotional support group (karma included) so visiting hockey players can get over the trama of being taunted at the Ralph. :ohmy:

Oh wait they have coaches to help them. :D

I remember some good chants from my days in the 90's but not using the Fbomb -

Three blind mice when the refs cam out was always solid - the mickey mouse was good but had the fbomb init as well.

AS far as chants borrowed from other theams, I think sieve is the only one we should steal. thats debatable or always were is too goofer-esque for me. And the sweet caroline - totally a redsox thing.

Seriously we should be leading the charge not following the bostons/goofers of the world (puke)

the sieve chant has been hockey-wide for decades. gophers do not get any credit for that one. as far as i'm concerned, lord stanley himself came up with it.

We used to DREAM of living in a corridor! Luxury!

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

You got SUSHI! Man, you really had an uptown life!!

What is the entire Black Hole chant, I remember hearing it in the late 80's and early 90's. That one would be

great to hear again in the Ralph.

I used to like that one but do the students even do that one anymore?