SiouxSports.com Forum

crowd chant

darell1976

After watching the Sioux hockey games on tv the announcer would say Fighting Sioux at full strength...what does the crowd chant back?? I couldn't figure it out. I haven't been to a Sioux game in 2 years. I do like the Thank you at the one minute mark and the announcer says your welcome at the one minute mark of the 3rd.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not much for the "That's Debatable" response, or the time and "thank you" retort, because I think that they may have originated at The John. Therefore, I think, the earlier reference to them being "Gopher chants."

I much prefer the retort, "And they still suck!!" when the PA announces that the opposition has returned to full strength.

If little ears are around, or if people are easily offended, it can be revised to "And they still stink!"

I am not much for the "That's Debatable" response, or the time and "thank you" retort, because I think that they may have originated at The John. Therefore, I think, the earlier reference to them being "Gopher chants."

I much prefer the retort, "And they still suck!!" when the PA announces that the opposition has returned to full strength.

If little ears are around, or if people are easily offended, it can be revised to "And they still stink!"

I don't think suck is bad per se it's the F' the Gophers cheer that is lacking class. The cheer Who he? he sucks Sh.. not real good.

Although my mother in law gets on us when we say that sucks. I like the that's debateable but I think it's a Wisconsin or Minnesota cheer like someone mentioned. So your right it might have started at the John or the Dane.

I don't think suck is bad per se it's the F' the Gophers cheer that is lacking class. The cheer Who he? he sucks Sh.. not real good.

Although my mother in law gets on us when we say that sucks. I like the that's debateable but I think it's a Wisconsin or Minnesota cheer like someone mentioned. So your right it might have started at the John or the Dane.

Never liked the "Who's He He Sucks Sh*&" either. First, because I have never been big on scatological humor or talk, it's for youngsters, but as importantly, because our old Gopher Hole buddy, WPoS, a great guy, proudly claims to have originated this cheer, again, and appropriately, in The John.

I would go, instead, for delirious laughter by the crowd as the opposition is being introduced. I think that that would be both original, and funny, without any hint of poor taste.

Never liked the "Who's He He Sucks Sh*&" either. First, because I have never been big on scatological humor or talk, it's for youngsters, but as importantly, because our old Gopher Hole buddy, WPoS, a great guy, proudly claims to have originated this cheer, again, and appropriately, in The John.

I would go, instead, for delirious laughter by the crowd as the opposition is being introduced. I think that that would be both original, and funny, without any hint of poor taste.

I love it. Add a laugh track, a good laugh track can make anything fresh and fun.

Never understood the need to end with "shxx". Back in the mid-80's when I was in school it was just "Who's he he sucks" and frankly that's more rhythmic anyway. Not sure that originated in the cities, unless adding the shxx did, but that was a poor bastardization.

I'm not gonna argue for or against some of these chants, but I will say one thing.

4 years ago, The Ralph was much quieter as a whole than it is today. Each of the past years since, it has gotten louder and louder, with some of the chants and jeers vulgar, some not. Either way, our home record seems to continually get better each season, with a very long home unbeaten streak still alive.

Coincidence? Maybe...

Food for thought.

I'm not gonna argue for or against some of these chants, but I will say one thing.

4 years ago, The Ralph was much quieter as a whole than it is today. Each of the past years since, it has gotten louder and louder, with some of the chants and jeers vulgar, some not. Either way, our home record seems to continually get better each season, with a very long home unbeaten streak still alive.

Coincidence? Maybe...

Food for thought.

The arena is loud, I think it is aweome. UND hasn't lost in what 17 games or something like that. The F' the Gophers chant reflects badly on all of us. My boss went to her first Sioux and Gophers game and she was not impressed with the chant. So what do we do go tell her, ah they are just college kids. I am not opposed to the whos he, he sucks. I wouldn't want to bring my 2 year old to the games right now.

I love the energy at the Ralph. However, I shudder when I hear the F bomb. Otherwise, I don't care about anything else the students do. So they stand, big whoop. So they come to the game drunk, big whoop!

Also, I love seeing the big hits and goals against on the big screen, that is one of the coolest parts of the Ralph, in my opinion.

Main point: keep chanting, keep getting drunk, keep standing, keep the energy going in the building, just don't drop the F bomb.

The arena is loud, I think it is aweome. UND hasn't lost in what 17 games or something like that. The F' the Gophers chant reflects badly on all of us. My boss went to her first Sioux and Gophers game and she was not impressed with the chant. So what do we do go tell her, ah they are just college kids. I am not opposed to the whos he, he sucks. I wouldn't want to bring my 2 year old to the games right now.

I hope she put your butt on double secret probation for not putting a stop to it. :D

Coincidence? Maybe...

Food for thought.

The students at the last two series were a lot of fun. We need to get the rest of the arena to get involved in the cheers. The non-students get involved at Wisconsin and Minnesota. Some old guy at the Kohl leads some of the cheers. Our band has also been a big past of the atmosphere and does a great job.

We need to dump the F bomb jeers. It shows ignorance and lack of class. You will impress recruits with the support, the noise, the atmosphere. You will not help get one single recruit with the F bomb cheers but you may lose one once in a while.

If anyone thinks the vulgar cheers have in anyway improved our play you have never strapped it on. Players sense the energy and can hear how noisy it is, but they should have better things to do than sort out the cheers and jeers. There are a lot of college venues in hockey, and BB that the students do a great job and use intelligence and humor without the F bomb. Those students are entertaining enough sometimes to warrant the price of admission. I would hope as THE University of North Dakota we can do better than the F bomb. The students make playing at UND one of the best places to play college sports in the country.

The "F the Gophers" chant isn't cool at all. And what made it worse was how many times they did it during the weekend.

Reminds me of that song.....You can't always get what ya waaant..... Big rival, booze and students = a little craziness. It may not be the best thing to say, and that often for the matter, but I could care less. Way more things in life to worry about. There are always places to go to hide and put a pillow over your head to drown out the sounds......

Some old guy at the Kohl leads some of the cheers. \

He's a popular, former athletic director of the University. He's well known and has a little power around there, which is why he was able to pull off the cheers so easily with his signs.

Our old people like to sit on their hands....it's a social status thing in GF for them to say they were at the games.

For all the people that are complaining about vulgar cheers, why don't you try and do something to change that when you go to the Ralph next time.

Can the vulgar chant issue be compared to the Sioux nickname issue (there's a vocal minority against it)?