SiouxSports.com Forum

crowd chant

darell1976

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a popular, former athletic director of the University. He's well known and has a little power around there, which is why he was able to pull off the cheers so easily with his signs.

Our old people like to sit on their hands....it's a social status thing in GF for them to say they were at the games.

For all the people that are complaining about vulgar cheers, why don't you try and do something to change that when you go to the Ralph next time.

Can the vulgar chant issue be compared to the Sioux nickname issue (there's a vocal minority against it)?

I'm pretty sure it's a very vocal minority that are in favor of using the vulgar chant.

I wonder if the frequency of the chant correlates to the limited nature of the number of chants collectively the students have in their repertoire and are able to use without some sort of risk. I know, what risk since the chant in question has an expletive in it. The risk is that no one else will know the chant and you will be singled out if it is a vulgar one and removed.

Diggler and I commented on it right after the new Ralph opened. Who knows all the old chants?

I mean, can anyone in the student section nowadays say what the Mickey Mouse chant is? The Black Hole Chant? The Cheerleader Spell Out chants (though these are somewhat edgy in content :))? and the list goes on.

I see this with young children in an analogous way. When a child learns a new word, they use the word over and over, sometimes incorrectly. They will do this until they get tired of using the word, forget the word entirely, or learn another word that they are interested in learning. The more words they learn, the less frequently the initial word is used because the child has more options.

It's the same thing here folks.

So, the solution to this dilemma is simply put and difficultly implemented: Come up with several new (or reintroduce old) chants and get the students to use them in games.

It won't eliminate the chant, but it will decrease its frequency.

Our old people like to sit on their hands....it's a social status thing in GF for them to say they were at the games.

For all the people that are complaining about vulgar cheers, why don't you try and do something to change that when you go to the Ralph next time.

Can the vulgar chant issue be compared to the Sioux nickname issue (there's a vocal minority against it)?

i would qualify as one of your "old people", and am a very active supporter at the games. love to cheer and be loud, no hand sitting involved. in fact i think the last couple of seasons the crowd has been alot better. i might have agreed with you a few seasons ago, but i think the atmosphere at the ralph has significantly improved, and i think the coaches and players would agree. another thing with hockey is that there is down time, tv timeouts, etc. which make it hard for it to be loud the entire game, but i think our crowd as a whole has been pretty good the last season or two.

i love our student section, i think they are loud and get the crowd going, but i do agree with the vulgarity issue. im not one who is going to complain to someone to stop it, as student section cheers have included vulgarity since the begining of time, and that probably won't change, but i don't think that swearing adds anything to a cheer that otherwise wouldn't be there. luckily we sit across the rink from the student section, so my kids usually can't hear the explitives clearly and i can lie to them when they ask... "what are they saying daddy?"

no, as someone else stated, i think the vocal minority are those shouting the explitives.

as i said before, the game wouldn't be the same without the students being so into the game, i love it, just not sure all the cheers need explitives to be effective.

The non-students get involved at Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Wisconsin, yes, Minnesota, no. Wisconsin has had the best fans I have seen for participation in the WCHA. Minnesota is burdened by old season ticket holders that RARELY stand up, and will get loud when the Gophers score more than once a period and maybe on a 5x3 pp. However, Minnesota does have a good set of cheers and a good band. Wisconsin has the whole fan package, imho. Mariucci can often be like a morgue even when the Gophers are in the lead.

As for the original question of the thread, haven't you been to a college hockey game in the last decade? They say that EVERYWHERE.

I enjoyed the dance the student section was doing to one of the band's songs. How did that get started? I noticed that by Saturday a lot of other people were doing it as well.

The band has been doing it for the last couple of years. Towards the end of last year, some students started doing it as well. And now this year, everyone seems to be doing it. Some gopher fans sitting next to us remarked "I didn't know we were in Madison."

The new Ralph is finally getting a good atmosphere, it took quite a long time. I think it also helps that people like Tom Behring are no longer in charge of REA and Charles "Let's dissolve the student section" Kupchella is no longer President.

This, however, has raised the ire of the anti-student, pro "family atmosphere" crowd. The whiny, crying puff piece written by Mike Jacobs in the Heraldo this week encapsulated the views of this group. If this crowd had it's way, everyone would politely clap for both teams instead of supporting one and harrassing the other. Every game would feel and sound like "Disney Stars on Ice".

As for profanity in the student section, I think it was much worse during the 1980's than it is now. If we aren't hosting the Gophers or Badgers, you don't hear it all that much. I went to games in the 1980's as a grade schooler and it was rampant in almost every home game.

The bottom line is, I didn't grow up talking like a drunken sailor because I went to the Old Ralph as a kid and today's kids won't either. Let's keep the good times rolling at The Ralph.

I mean, can anyone in the student section nowadays say what the Mickey Mouse chant is? The Black Hole Chant? The Cheerleader Spell Out chants (though these are somewhat edgy in content :))? and the list goes on.

I loved, and still love, the Black hole chant!!!!! You're a vaccum cleaner!!! You're not a vacuum cleaner, you're a black hole!! You're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!!! SIEVE!! SIEVE!! SIEVE!!

We need to find a way to get the old ones back. They are edgy, they take some skill (which our student section lacks now), and its 100 times better than just saying "F the ___". I wish the refs still had the nameson the back, because i loved the "Anderson.......Anderson.....sucks s___"

But we have nothing to call our own..... yet. We need to get something that can go on year after year, and it will catch on more every year. Nothing better than dancing in the stands to Tequila, or a speed up-slow down-seperating wave. That takes skill. We need something along those lines.

[/end rant]

I just read this in the Dakota Student opinion page. For some reason 'chanting sieve, pronounced siv', really tickled my funny bone. I'm still chuckling. :)

<H3>

<H3>Aaron Q. posted 10/22/09 @ 5:06 PM CST

As much as most UND fans are probably hesistant to admit, sportsmanlike etiquette also dictates that taunting another team's goaltender after he lets in a goal (i.e. chanting 'sieve', pronounced 'siv') is not appropriate. If we, as a crowd, can be a bit more civil, maybe karma will grant us another National Championship this year.

</H3></H3>

<H3>Aaron Q. posted 10/22/09 @ 5:06 PM CST

As much as most UND fans are probably hesistant to admit, sportsmanlike etiquette also dictates that taunting another team's goaltender after he lets in a goal (i.e. chanting 'sieve', pronounced 'siv') is not appropriate. If we, as a crowd, can be a bit more civil, maybe karma will grant us another National Championship this year.</H3></H3>

This is the same publication, of course, that wants the Fighting Sioux name and logo gone. I wonder if yelling too loud is also "unsportsmanlike" in the eyes of the DS editorial staff? :)

Calling the opposing goalie a sieve is now deemed unsportsmanlike?

What the heck is the world coming to?

I'm all for getting rid of the F bomb chants and vulgarity in cheers, but that is ridiculous.

These are the little utopians being "molded" through the higher ed system today. Maybe the kid is the next Nick Coleman. :)

I want to take a moment to defend our 'old' fans. The majority of them are not there to socialize but to support Fighting Sioux hockey. I have seen some of these fans at games since the late '70s when I (yeah an old fan) started going to FS hockey games. The ones that sit a couple of rows in front of my seats were 'old fans' back then. I'm guessing that more than a few of them are probaly in their late 70's or early 80's(maybe older!) by now. They don't stand and cheer, high five or do the wave but they're there!! A big accomplishment for some. I remember one senior who I know had terminal cancer that went to the games until just before his death. They could be home watching the game on tv or going to bed early but they choose to watch the game in person. Why? BECAUSE REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE, THEY ARE STILL FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY FANS.

So, my fellow SS.com fans, get the eff off your 'I'm a better fan because I stand and shout' platform and quit picking on our senior fans!!

I want to take a moment to defend our 'old' fans. The majority of them are not there to socialize but to support Fighting Sioux hockey. I have seen some of these fans at games since the late '70s when I (yeah an old fan) started going to FS hockey games. The ones that sit a couple of rows in front of my seats were 'old fans' back then. I'm guessing that more than a few of them are probaly in their late 70's or early 80's(maybe older!) by now. They don't stand and cheer, high five or do the wave but they're there!! A big accomplishment for some. I remember one senior who I know had terminal cancer that went to the games until just before his death. They could be home watching the game on tv or going to bed early but they choose to watch the game in person. Why? BECAUSE REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE, THEY ARE STILL FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY FANS.

So, my fellow SS.com fans, get the eff off your 'I'm a better fan because I stand and shout' platform and quit picking on our senior fans!!

I don't think we are old. :) Well said Sioux-cia.

Speaking of the atmosphere, did I really hear they played "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, and the crowd chanted along with it? I almost puked. I don't know where that started but it makes me think of St. Cloud and Mankato and please, can't we do something a little more unique?

Barf.

Speaking of the atmosphere, did I really hear they played "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, and the crowd chanted along with it? I almost puked. I don't know where that started but it makes me think of St. Cloud and Mankato and please, can't we do something a little more unique?

Barf.

It's no different than copying "Always were" and "That's Debatable" on penalties. Not real creative.....

Barf.

I totally agree!! What's worse, is that it's the damn Boston song (Boston College/Boston University) and as someone who went to some of the more recent Frozen Fours, (especially Milwaukee!) I also have a puking reaction to the song. It definitely should be banned from the Ralph PERMANENTLY!!!

And too bad a Hoogsteen doesn't play for us anymore . . . "Hoogsteen Phooey, #1 Super Guy" was the best ever. The Mickey Mouse chant definitely needs to be brought back as well. (Yes, I remember all the words!) :)

Barf.

I love that song reminds me of the movie fever pitch.