SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a way to lose total respect for a person. Now he just looks like a weasel and a coward. Now I suppose he won't have to answer any of the tough questions. He was quite the representative for the state and NDSU. I wonder if we will eventually hear the rest of the dirty details.

What a way to lose total respect for a person. Now he just looks like a weasel and a coward. Now I suppose he won't have to answer any of the tough questions. He was quite the representative for the state and NDSU. I wonder if we will eventually hear the rest of the dirty details.

"Joe, we're dying! What happened?"

"You wanna know what happened?? Buy the book!!"

From the non zero-sum-game perspective, it's a real shame it had to end this way. He did a lot to improve NDSU, which is a benefit to Fargo, the Red River Valley, and North Dakota.

However, that he could never accept that the rules applied to him made this outcome inevitable. His frequent attempts to make it a zero-sum-game by attempting to improve NDSU at the rest of North Dakota's expense, instead of cooperate as part of the NDUS, ensured that he wouldn't receive much sympathy from any except the NDSU loyals when this inevitable outcome arrived.

Thanks for the good you did for North Dakota, Joe, but it's too bad you never quite learned to be a North Dakotan.

I find it funny that NDSU people are expressing outrage towards the media for Mr. Chapman's resignation. I think the media has only skimmed the surface in regards to the controversies surrounding Chapman. So I won't be surprised if there is more info just waiting to be revealed on Chapman's mishandling of money.

It could very well be that there are multiple correct answers, but I was thinking of the Val Kilmer line from the movie 'Real Genius'--an underrated 80's classic.

Ahh, you're right Kent says it to Val Kilmer's character and Val responds with "Rue the day. Who talks like that." :)

Ten days ago or so, NDSU had Homecoming. That week, as is typical, the directors of the NDSU Foundation met. Apparently the meeting took a confrontational tone.

Mysteriously, within days, the Forum had documents incriminating Chapman.

Chapman was gone within 10 days of the NDSU Foundation meeting.

The media didn't take Chapman down, nor did the SBoHE: seems the NDSU Foundation did.

There's got to be much more not revealed.

Every AM I have coffee and run into a high profile NDSU booster/contributor. Today this guy even said Joe must go! He said if Joe doesn't resign it will create a firestorm that NDSU will have a hard time putting out.

You know when you talk to someone and you kind of have feeling there is something a little more going on that what was actually said!

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Not suprised by this at all!

Ten days ago or so, NDSU had Homecoming. That week, as is typical, the directors of the NDSU Foundation met. Apparently the meeting took a confrontational tone.

Mysteriously, within days, the Forum had documents incriminating Chapman.

Chapman was gone within 10 days of the NDSU Foundation meeting.

The media didn't take Chapman down, nor did the SBoHE: seems the NDSU Foundation did.

There's got to be much more not revealed.

Exactly!

North Dakotans are honest, humble, respect their neighbors, thoughtful stewards of the land, and live the golden rule.

Chapman is none of those. The sooner he's gone, the better.

And I hope the SBOHE and the NDSU Foundation get a full accounting and reimbursement for all his unethical activities. That money is needed, NOW, for real students and employees.

North Dakotans deserve better.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/arti...p/Local%20News/

“Under the circumstances, I think ... (Chapman) has made the right decision,” Goetz said. “I think there was some discretion here that may have been lacking in terms of priorities, and that has led to these issues.”

John Q. Paulsen, former higher education board president and a past president of the NDSU Development Foundation board of trustees, called Chapman’s resignation a “tragedy.”

So John Q. Paulsen, who unquestionably helped set up a relationship so that Chapman and wife could have a free hand in NDSU's Foundation treasury and was Chapman's henchman on the SBoHE, considers this "tragic"?

Mr. John Q. Paulsen, your leadership and character, running an innocent and honorable Potts out of state on a rail: that's what tragic, sir.

“I’m disappointed, angry,” Taylor said, his voice cracking. “We’re a strong institution and we’re strong because of his leadership. I’m sure we’ll get through this, but it has been a tough day.”

Same lines as yesterday, delivered to Patty Viverito, MVFC commissioner. Have another bottle of whine, sir.

Taylor's got to be angry because he knows there is no longer any political ability to prevent the resumption of the UND-NDSU series. Any lead NDSU had through the an earlier transition has all but evaporated.

Chapman gets caught with his hand in many cookie jars. Then he resigns. I sure hope they don't pay him past January 2. That would be a real shame if they did. It would be like a thief stealing your money and then you give him some more to go away. I think the SBOHE would be smarter than that. Chapman obviously has no integrity.

From KFGO's website

Chancellor William Goetz

State Board of Higher Education

10th Floor, State Capitol

600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 215

Bismarck, ND 58505-0230

Dear Chancellor Goetz,

I am writing to tender my resignation as President of North Dakota State University effective January 2, 2010.

Serving as president of North Dakota State University for the past 11 years has been the greatest privilege of my academic career. Together with students, faculty and staff, we have taken this institution to new levels, and I take great pride in all we have accomplished together. Gale and I have made friends and community ties here we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

Controversies in recent days have created distractions that have made it impossible for me to provide the leadership this institution deserves. Students have always been paramount, and I fear these distractions have impaired my ability to serve their interests.

I strongly urge you and the State Board of Higher Education to commission a comprehensive and independent audit of the president

People at least here in Fargo are outraged at the media for showing the "bad side" of Joe. He is like a hero to people of NDSU for taking them to D1, now he is resigning. I listened to Joel Heitkamp yesterday on the radio and he told listeners he was being blasted because he would slam Joe and NDSU but not Kelley and UND (Just look at Bisonville for example on that). So Joel made different points, had Najla Amundson from NDSU on and said repeatedly that Joe was invited but has never been reached (probably playing in the money bin Scrooge McDuck). I want to thank the media for pointing this out to the public. So when the people cry out for a better school and a better basketball arena they can't say there is no money because now they can see why there was no money....Good luck to the new president who gets the $2 million palace and who gets to take a crap in the $50,000 outhouse.

Who started this?

A group of NDSU alumni, namely,
the NDSU Foundation

How?

They closed the open spigot of money during a meeting during NDSU's homecoming week.

Why?

Money is tight and they probably started to question where some of it was going.

Like what?

Say ...

- $1,000,000.00 cost overrun on a new president's house

- $50,000.00 per year (no-show) job for president's wife

- $83,000.00 average annual expenses by the president paid from open NDSU Development Foundation account, and the clincher,

- $22,000.00 (boondoggle?) trip to Washington, DC, taking the whole family on private charter.

But isn't all that NDSU Foundation money private money?

Yes, it is. But they rely on private donors who expect accountability from the Foundation. Lose the accountability, lose the donors.

So why'd they release all of this information to the press? Isn't the NDSU Foundation private? They don't have to do open records.

Ah, there's the key question:
Why *did* the NDSU Foundation willingly put all of this dirty laundry out to the media.

Where was the State Board of Higher Education?

Cowering in the corner! What do you think they were going to do after they let Chapman, almost singlehandedly, run Potts out of the state. Chapman had that whole crew by the stones after that fiasco. The SBoHE enabled Chapman prior to the Potts mess, but after that Big Joe knew he was in charge.

Now he is saying he planned to retire in the spring anyway. He is fielding calls from all kinds of colleges that want him, but he thinks he will turn them down so he can be a consultant to colleges transitioning to D1.

Forum Story

Good self esteem is healthy, narcissism is not.

I heard Vern's School of Appliance Repair is looking for a new president.