SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

Evidently it is still over the top.....Overruns on new ND college president homes debated

Legislators say they won't endorse a $1.5 million cost overrun for building a new home for the president of North Dakota State University.

However, lawmakers did approve a smaller overrun for building a new home for the president of the University of North Dakota. The excess was almost $363,000.....

...But legislators said they didn't want to approve the overspending at NDSU. Wahpeton Rep. Clark Williams says the overrun upset people across North Dakota, and he wasn't going to endorse it.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, it was an honest mistake that won't happen again. Live and learn.

Honest mistake? BS.

They intentionally spent money belonging to a state institution in a way that was specifically prohibited by state law.

They should be prosecuted and face the appropriate penalties.

Honest mistake? BS.

They intentionally spent money belonging to a state institution in a way that was specifically prohibited by state law.

They should be prosecuted and face the appropriate penalties.

WOW!! I am totally in a much, much lower tax bracket than a couple of posters from down south. An honest mistake? That amount of overspending is an honest mistake?? An honest mistake is paying for extra flooring because the measurements were wrong a few inches not because more square footage was added and the most expensive flooring in the world was bought instead of what was budgeted.

I'm with you on this one Whistler, to the slammer with them!!!

WOW!! I am totally in a much, much lower tax bracket than a couple of posters from down south. An honest mistake? That amount of overspending is an honest mistake?? An honest mistake is paying for extra flooring because the measurements were wrong a few inches not because more square footage was added and the most expensive flooring in the world was bought instead of what was budgeted.

I'm with you on this one Whistler, to the slammer with them!!!

I'm relying on the intentional part from a story that I think was linked from this thread. They said that they knew they were over on the original design but figured they'd get some in-kind donations. Whether they did or didn't (they didn't and apparently had NO idea where these donations would come from) it doesn't affect the true cost of the building.

Then they went ahead and added in a room.

They also assumed that landscaping doesn't count, which I don't agree with, but apparently there is some precedent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Accountability!?! Joe don't need no stinkin' accountability!!

Tuey's Blog on Cleaning up after the olde Chapman administration

So the State Board of Higher Education's finance committee convened a meeting to get a briefing on the financial situation from interim President Dick Hanson. Evidently, the board had heard rumors of some sort of massive deficit and seemed relieved to hear it was only $2.5 million -- it was $1.8 million in mid-December -- and that Dr. Hanson thinks he could find enough savings to erase it.

What it looks like is the new guy wants to do some full disclosure so he can start with a blank slate instead of having to explain all the things done by his predecessor. In fact, there seemed to be an awful lot of things said today that seemed to subtly place the blame on Dr. Chapman. That's just an observation, not an indictment of anyone.

* First, the words "transparency" and "accountability" was used a lot, and not just by Dr. Hanson.

I asked him after the meeting if he was saying in some way that the previous guy wasn't so transparent or accountable.

Dr. Hanson answered this way: "People are different. People are different in the way they lead. People are different in the way they communicate. I prefer a system that is accessible by people. They understand why we make decisions the way we make them. I just don't make them."

* Second, Dr. Hanson said this to the finance committee, without really any prompting: "As you know, I slowed down a lot of the processes on campus intentionally. Had I not done we could've avoided publicity and things like that. But I'm glad I did because I think we'd be in a worse mess if I hadn't done what I did. The problems would've been repeated next fiscal year and I’m not going to let that happen."

Dr. Chapman, of course, was known and loved for his damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-head attitude. The slow-down-so-we-don't-blow-up-the-engine approach, as exemplified by the quote above, is a major change in policy.

* Third, in response to questions about whether it's necessary, as some observers say, to bring outside auditors in to clean up NDSU's books, Dr. Hanson said it's not necessary because he's got a handle on the situation. "I'm very experienced at this kind of forensic auditing and I think we've uncovered what we need to uncover." My gosh, it's like he's looking at a crime scene....

NDSU seems to have more than a normal share of forensic accountants. ;)

NDSU seems to have more than a normal share of forensic accountants. ;)

But where are they now? :huh:

I'm sure the Chapman faithful will somehow blame this on UND and others that hated NDSU's success. It looks to me like Chapman ran NDSU like the federal government is run, just keep spending without consequence.

But where are they now? ;)

I'm sure the Chapman faithful will somehow blame this on UND and others that hated NDSU's success. It looks to me like Chapman ran NDSU like the federal government is run, just keep spending without consequence.

The anti-NDSU/anti-UND shtick is old and tired.

The best way forward for the state of ND and the NDUS is for NDSU and UND to forge a strong partnership.

The anti-NDSU/anti-UND shtick is old and tired.

The best way forward for the state of ND and the NDUS is for NDSU and UND to forge a strong partnership.

So let's just pretend there aren't any issues. ;)

At times, confrontation is not only healthy but necessary. The NDUS system allowed itself to be bullied for too long: they are as responsible as Chapman is.

So let's just pretend there aren't any issues. ;)

At times, confrontation is not only healthy but necessary. The NDUS system allowed itself to be bullied for too long: they are as responsible as Chapman is.

You're obviously very bitter and angry at something you perceive to be wrong. Fine.

Why not correct those mistakes and move forward in a new direction?

Are you capable of moving on or will you dwell on a negative past?

You're obviously very bitter and angry at something you perceive to be wrong. Fine.

Nice ad hominem attack.

So evidently the Forum, the Grand Forks Herald, the Bismarck Tribune, and the NDUS are all very bitter insititutions too: as they have a concern with the situation. ;)

Seems that you and your cohorts remain in denial that Chapman was a bully and created major issues within NDSU and within the NDUS. Because it gets brought up on a UND message board, any poster here must be attacked and discredited.

And repeat the mistakes of the past? Either learn from mistakes or correct them. That's the difference. You seem to have no interest in correcting errors so that don't get repeated, nor do you appear to care about justice.

Nice ad hominem attack.

So evidently the Forum, the Grand Forks Herald, the Bismarck Tribune, and the NDUS are all very bitter insititutions too: as they have a concern with the situation. ;)

Seems that you and your cohorts remain in denial that Chapman was a bully and created major issues within NDSU and within the NDUS. Because it gets brought up on a UND message board, any poster here must be attacked and discredited.

And repeat the mistakes of the past? Either learn from mistakes or correct them. That's the difference. You seem to have no interest in correcting errors so that don't get repeated, nor do you appear to care about justice.

There are errors in the process that need to be corrected, surely. Otherwise we wouldn't be in the deficit. Those will be corrected and we will move on.

But you're trying to pretend that Chapman committed some sort of crime, willingly. There is no evidence of that or charges would've been filed.

And that's what I'm talking about.

You're so hateful and bitter toward NDSU that you have to personify that hatred onto our former president.

This is the crap I want to see stop.

I want NDSU and UND to forge a solid, working relationship. The old rivalry is a relic of the past that should die. The new rivalry should be a partnership for the future.

Correct the mistakes in the process. Move on. Leave the hatred behind you!

Kupchella tried partnership regarding some doctorate programs. (Save the duplication, allowing NDSU to put the money into new areas.)

Chapman told him competition is good and started duplicate programs.

So, partnership or competition.

There are errors in the process that need to be corrected, surely. Otherwise we wouldn't be in the deficit. Those will be corrected and we will move on.

But you're trying to pretend that Chapman committed some sort of crime, willingly. There is no evidence of that or charges would've been filed.

And that's what I'm talking about.

You're so hateful and bitter toward NDSU that you have to personify that hatred onto our former president.

This is the crap I want to see stop.

I want NDSU and UND to forge a solid, working relationship. The old rivalry is a relic of the past that should die. The new rivalry should be a partnership for the future.

I agree with you on a strong Partnership with NDSU and UND. Wouldn't forgetting about the past and openly being willing to Play each other in sports (Football) be a great way to start that?

I agree with you on a strong Partnership with NDSU and UND. Wouldn't forgetting about the past and openly being willing to Play each other in sports (Football) be a great way to start that?

100% agree!

They should be on each other's schedules every year in all sports they both play.

NDSU supporters are still looking thru rose colored glasses when it comes to the mishandling of finances at NDSU by Chapman. They just won't accept what is right in front of their eyes. Their is a black cloud hanging over Fargo and everyone in the state can see it except Bison backers. It is no wonder Chapman left his administration and the state with his tail between his legs. Even with all the corruption NDSU gave him a boatload of money as he was leaving. The whole fiasco is really sad.

Why not correct those mistakes and move forward in a new direction?

I find it interesting that you tell us to let it go and your a Bison fan but if this was UND you'd be ripping us to hell and back for the stuff that's going on there. If your going to call an apple then it has to be an apple..not an orange this time vs. an apple that time.