SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

NDSU has programs in engineering, architecture, construction management, and business so NDSU Administration must be familiar with these concepts.

And yet no one in NDSU Administration stepped up and questioned the lack of planning on a million dollar expenditure?

Like I said, the mistakes will be fixed. This will not happen again.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question of the day is: "Who the hell was in charge at NDSU if it wasn't Chapman?" You seem to think that it is a perfectly acceptable excuse that absolutely no one was in charge, that no one had a clue about a major construction project on the NDSU campus, and that the President's wife and assistant were on the committee and he knew nothing. Plain and simple it was Chapman's responsibility to know and to manage what takes place on campus. It is quite possible that no crime was committed, but that fact does not make it morally and ethically proper.

I don't think it was acceptable that no one was in charge. I think that is a huge problem and a huge mistake!

It needs to be fixed and it will be. It won't happen again, you can bet your bottom dollar.

What I absolutely do not accept is the horsecrap attitude of this board to blame Chapman personally, as if he intended to steal money from the school like a thief, when the correct response is the blame the lack of defined oversight protocol. Blame the system, not the person. :angry:

It's not about talking with him: he's a charmer. It's about working with him.

Seems more like you perceive statements in this thread as an emotional attack on things you hold dear to you. Because of what occurred during Chapman's reign, Bison fans, including yourself, seem to have elevated him to god-like cult status. Any perceived statement that breaks apart the "Chapman is god" as a fallacy, is perceived as hate speech to people within the Chapman cult.

Bison fans for years have attacked people like Roger Thomas or Kupchella with visciousness never ever seen on Siouxsports.com with Chapman, but that behavior was always seen as acceptable to most Bison fans, including yourself. Now, simple statements like Chapman's actions are corrupt,or that he lies to the press, or that he is a backstabber (see Potts epidsode) seem to send those same bison fans into a tizzy.

You should know better than the lump me in with a bunch of mouth-breathing Bisonville-blowhards like lakes, et al. I did not attack Thomas or Kupchella that I recall. If you can find posts to the contrary, I will retract that.

It is an emotional based attack for you, though. I don't see why you can't admit it.

The problem was with the (lack of a) system. The problem was not with the person.

What I absolutely do not accept is the horsecrap attitude of this board to blame Chapman personally, as if he intended to steal money from the school like a thief, when the correct response is the blame the lack of defined oversight protocol. Blame the system, not the person. :angry:

I'llsay this again, a big financial booster at NDSU used the terms "delusional" and "corrupt" this AM when discussing Joe and this preceived oversight. If he has these feelings about Joe, I don't think for a minute he's in the minority of NDSU suppoters/boosters with these thoughts.

I don't think it was acceptable that no one was in charge. I think that is a huge problem and a huge mistake!

It needs to be fixed and it will be. It won't happen again, you can bet your bottom dollar.

Ultimately, in the end, someone is responsible for the system and how it functions. And in this particular case, it was Chapman.

Ultimately, in the end, someone is responsible for the system and how it functions. And in this particular case, it was Chapman.

Question: Who was the beneficiary of the mismanaged funds? Whose family benefited from those mismanaged funds?

Answer: Slippery Fingers Tongue Joe, :angry:

I did not attack Thomas or Kupchella that I recall. If you can find posts to the contrary, I will retract that.

You're right. Because you didn't bash, Bisonville bashed you. Sorry.

But with regards to Chapman, don't you see that you have a personal attachment to him because he was the one that brought NDSU to the DI promised land? That's not a bad thing at all, but many things that Chapman did outside NDSU - and now evidence is showing within NDSU - were ethically reprehensible. That article is prime evidence: denial of any responsibility.

Yes. Absolutely. And maybe he still should've lost his job over it anyway...I don't know.

But that's not the attitude I'm referring to. I'm referring to the tacit suggestion I'm seeing here that Chapman did this on purpose. That a man who loved NDSU with all his heart would steal money from its donors and students for his own personal gain.

I think it's dispicable sans any evidence....any evidence! How about a taped conversation or an email...something, before you sink that low?!

You're right. Because you didn't bash, Bisonville bashed you. Sorry.

But with regards to Chapman, don't you see that you have a personal attachment to him because he was the one that brought NDSU to the DI promised land? That's not a bad thing at all, but many things that Chapman did outside NDSU - and now evidence is showing within NDSU - were ethically reprehensible. That article is prime evidence: denial of any responsibility.

I take it to mean exactly what I'm trying to explain to you all...that he denies any wrongdoing.

Sure, he indirectly responsible for the lack of controls in place that would've prevented this situation. But that is a system problem and it can be corrected.

Fact is the issue is moot...Chapman has retired. Yet you still try to bash him.

Sorry that some NDSU fans are so brainless and that they turned you so sour against us that you'd look for any way to lash out and get back...but it just don't sit well with me, especially with a lack of evidence.

I take it to mean exactly what I'm trying to explain to you all...that he denies any wrongdoing.

Sure, he indirectly responsible for the lack of controls in place that would've prevented this situation. But that is a system problem and it can be corrected.

Fact is the issue is moot...Chapman has retired. Yet you still try to bash him.

Sorry that some NDSU fans are so brainless and that they turned you so sour against us that you'd look for any way to lash out and get back...but it just don't sit well with me, especially with a lack of evidence.

First of all, if you honestly believe that he didn't have a clue what was going on with his brand new house, that's just plain dumb. IT WAS HIS HOUSE. Would you not want to be kept up to date with what is going on with your custom house?

Secondly, whether he's directly or indirectly responsible for this mess doesn't matter.

The accounting is an NDSU problem. The deficit is an NDSU problem. The President's house is an NDSU problem.

Where do you go when there's a problem? To the top.

He was in charge of the University. Whether he knew or didn't know what was going on, it doesn't matter. He was the president. He was expected to operate the University in a positive way.

And when things like this happen, he should be the one who is fired. It's just business.

First of all, if you honestly believe that he didn't have a clue what was going on with his brand new house, that's just plain dumb. IT WAS HIS HOUSE. Would you not want to be kept up to date with what is going on with your custom house?

Secondly, whether he's directly or indirectly responsible for this mess doesn't matter.

The accounting is an NDSU problem. The deficit is an NDSU problem. The President's house is an NDSU problem.

Where do you go when there's a problem? To the top.

He was in charge of the University. Whether he knew or didn't know what was going on, it doesn't matter. He was the president. He was expected to operate the University in a positive way.

And when things like this happen, he should be the one who is fired. It's just business.

Yes. Absolutely. And maybe he still should've lost his job over it anyway...I don't know.

But that's not the attitude I'm referring to. I'm referring to the tacit suggestion I'm seeing here that Chapman did this on purpose. That a man who loved NDSU with all his heart would steal money from its donors and students for his own personal gain.

I think it's dispicable sans any evidence....any evidence! How about a taped conversation or an email...something, before you sink that low?!

Whether there is evidence or e-mails or not, based on conversations with some in the Bison camp here in Fargo, there are some questions being raised about the "personal gain" issue whether valid or not. So this isn't just a UND mob out to tarnish Joe.

Whether there is evidence or e-mails or not, based on conversations with some in the Bison camp here in Fargo, there are some questions being raised about the "personal gain" issue whether valid or not. So this isn't just a UND mob out to tarnish Joe.

Don't care who it's from. Unless they have something to back it up they should just keep those kind of thoughts to themselves.

Don't fool yourself - Whiskey Joe has never had any room in his heart for anything other than Whiskey Joe.

Apparently Dr. Chapman was a poor steward of NDSU and NDSU Foundation dollars as evidenced by the recent budget and house building problems. His lack of good stewardship cost him the presidency of NDSU.

Did he intentionally take actions for personal fiscal gain? We don't know as the accountants doing the auditing are yet to chime in. On a personal level, I would hope any public steward would be wiser than that.

Did he personally directly benefit from some of his stewardship decisions (see: $22k weekend with the family): Irrefutably.

I minced some words there, but that seems to be the way MplsBison wants to see it.

Apparently Dr. Chapman was a poor steward of NDSU and NDSU Foundation dollars as evidenced by the recent budget and house building problems. His lack of good stewardship cost him the presidency of NDSU.

Did he intentionally take actions for personal fiscal gain? We don't know as the accountants doing the auditing are yet to chime in. On a personal level, I would hope any public steward would be wiser than that.

Did he personally directly benefit from some of his stewardship decisions (see: $22k weekend with the family): Irrefutably.

I minced some words there, but that seems to be the way MplsBison wants to see it.

Yes you did mince words, to satisfy your personal hatred.

The only thing that matters in the discussion is whether he intentionally acted in a way that he knew would a) take money away from the university and b) cause himself to personally benefit.

No one has ever given even a shred of evidence that points to such acts.

Yes you did mince words, to satisfy your personal hatred.

The only thing that matters in the discussion is whether he intentionally acted in a way that he knew would a) take money away from the university and b) cause himself to personally benefit.

No one has ever given even a shred of evidence that points to such acts.

Intentionally brought his family on a vacation taking $22,000 away from the school that could have been used for something else.

Intentionally brought his family on a vacation taking $22,000 away from the school that could have been used for something else.

Did he know he would be taking $22k away from the school (and did the money directly or indirectly (through transfers from other funds) come from a fund that was meant to be spent on the school) prior to making the decision to take his family with on the vacation?

I think this could very easily have been innocent intentions that look very bad out of context.