SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Just now, mksioux said:

UND played Nebraska in 1961, which was in the Big 8 back then, which turned into the Big 12 in 1996.  That could be the reference.  Or it could be TCU.  UND played TCU in 1933.  TCU is in the Big 12 now, but was a member of the Southwest Conference back then.  

Thought it must have been something back a ways.  Thanks!

On 6/11/2013 at 11:58 PM, bincitysioux said:

Anyone know what San Jose and Wyoming are paying? I believe I heard San Jose was $250,00 but I am not certain.

Bowling Green: $350,000

Utah: $450,000

Washington: $500,000

Went back looking for what other FBS payouts have been. Inflation starting to taper off? Maybe accepted lower bid because travel to Kansas St will be cheaper than west coast. 

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hearing that the Big Sky Conference is officially going to a 9 game conference schedule starting in 2020.  Nothing official from the Big Sky, but that is what I am seeing today.

Won't that hurt the BSC teams in national ranking systems?

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hearing that the Big Sky Conference is officially going to a 9 game conference schedule starting in 2020.  Nothing official from the Big Sky, but that is what I am seeing today.

That would make regular scheduling with the other 3 Dakota schools very difficult.  If true, I don't like the change.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is that to accommodate Idaho as a football member?

I am guessing that every other year you get 4 home conference games.  So in an 11 game schedule you would have 2 OOC games.  A strategy I would use would be to always have at least 6 home games.  On the years where you have 5 home conference games, schedule an FBS game and a home OOC game.  On the years where you have only 4 home conference games, schedule 2 OOC home games.

Some years you aren't going to get an FBS game, so scheduling a road or another home OOC FCS game should not be that hard.  Either way, still leaves you plenty of opportunity to schedule the other 3 Dakota schools.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am guessing that every other year you get 4 home conference games.  So in an 11 game schedule you would have 2 OOC games.  A strategy I would use would be to always have at least 6 home games.  On the years where you have 5 home conference games, schedule an FBS game and a home OOC game.  On the years where you have only 4 home conference games, schedule 2 OOC home games.

Some years you aren't going to get an FBS game, so scheduling a road or another home OOC FCS game should not be that hard.  Either way, still leaves you plenty of opportunity to schedule the other 3 Dakota schools.

Scheduling the other Dakota schools has not been easy.  

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Your plan doesn't allow for any non-conference FCS away games. Which FCS schools are going to schedule games at UND without getting return games at their place?

So there are 14 playing BSC FB in 2020 (Idaho in). Nine games. So, is the play to split (N/S? E/W?) into 7 and 7? Schedule would be ... play the 6 in your half (alternating home yearly) and then play three from the other side? How do you pick the three? Rotating? By last year's finish? 

Nine makes sense when you have ten, but 14? Are BSC teams having trouble filling 3 (or 4) non-BSC games every year? 

So many questions ... 

Hopefully, by that time, the change won't affect UND as they'll be a member of the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Whether we like to readily admit it or not, UND should be playing NDSU, South Dakota, and South Dakota State every season -- it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Hopefully, by that time, the change won't affect UND as they'll be a member of the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Whether we like to readily admit it or not, UND should be playing NDSU, South Dakota, and South Dakota State every season -- it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

You are probably right but I do like that UND plays out here every other year! (UNC)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Your plan doesn't allow for any non-conference FCS away games. Which FCS schools are going to schedule games at UND without getting return games at their place?

Sorry, you are right.   That is going to be what happens.  You will have to sign home and home with other FCS schools for OOC games.  Trying to get 6 home games every year should be the goal.  

54 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Just off the top of my head, Drake and Valpo and the Pioneer League in general. 

However, I'm not sure of anyone else outside of that.

Northeast, Patriot, MEAC, Southern?

That is by 2020 they are still running 11 game schedules, it could be 12 by then (there was discussing on FCS going to 12, I don't know how much support it has but its a possibility)

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So there are 14 playing BSC FB in 2020 (Idaho in). Nine games. So, is the play to split (N/S? E/W?) into 7 and 7? Schedule would be ... play the 6 in your half (alternating home yearly) and then play three from the other side? How do you pick the three? Rotating? By last year's finish? 

Nine makes sense when you have ten, but 14? Are BSC teams having trouble filling 3 (or 4) non-BSC games every year? 

So many questions ... 

I would assume rotating.  I would like a permanent cross-over game based on historical and competitive balance (or as close as you can get it) and then rotate the other two.  For example

East              West

Montana        EWU

MSU               Idaho

Weber            SAC

ISU                  PSU

UND                Poly

UNC                Davis

SUU                 NAU

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

East              West

Montana        EWU

MSU               Idaho

UND                Poly

SUU                 NAU

Weber            PSU

UNC                Davis

ISU                 SAC

I switched a couple within each division (up and down), but these would be relatively even from a competitive standpoint.  Nicely done.

Edit:  Ideal scenario, drop the bottom 8 and add the other Dakotas.

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

That is by 2020 they are still running 11 game schedules, it could be 12 by then (there was discussing on FCS going to 12, I don't know how much support it has but its a possibility)

I would assume rotating.  I would like a permanent cross-over game based on historical and competitive balance (or as close as you can get it) and then rotate the other two.  For example

East              West

Montana        EWU

MSU               Idaho

Weber            SAC

ISU                  PSU

UND                Poly

UNC                Davis

SUU                 NAU

Having divisions in FBS makes sense if you are having a conference championship game.  Can't do that in FCS, so not sure why you would do that.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

East              West

Montana        EWU

MSU               Idaho

Weber            SAC

ISU                  PSU

UND                Poly

UNC                Davis

SUU                 NAU

To continue to beat a dead horse with my pipe dream........  Play your division opponents and get ranked 1-7 East and 1-7 West.  Last week of the year, at a neutral venue have the Big Sky Challenge, need a turf field with all the games.  1's, 2's, 3's all the way down play.  That gives you 7 guaranteed games, which is perfect.  

• Upvote 1