SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just spitballing but it looks like Iowa has a 2021 opening. Though with the AD and AAD there, I'm not sold that is the one.

The AAD of which you refer is AD at K-State now, isn't he? 

Michigan and Michigan State have openings, but not Wisconsin (thinking "hockey schools"). 

34 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We want Ohio State. Lol!! Actually I would love to play Nebraska. SDSU played them pretty tough a few years back. 

I saw a game at Nebraska - it should be near the top of every college football fan's list. I hope the Hawks play there someday.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why not? We would have a solid chance of beating them. And an FBS win is an FBS win.

Agree completely. We need to schedule games with the mindset that we will go there and win. Enough of this "let's play there because it's scenic" crap. That was the argument for folks who think the Big Sky Conference is better than the MVFC and Summit for UND - despicable if you ask me. 

UND football - including the followers - needs to adopt the mindset of winners. Want a blueprint? Look 70 miles south; hate to say it but it's the damn truth. Right now very few expect UND football to consistently win. This season hasn't help that.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

The MVFC issue is settled so there is no reason to kick that dead horse. I agree we need to have the mindset that we win.   I believe most of our fans understand that. I wouldn't look 70 miles south.  They have a very different community and support system.  They are a community of almost 200,000 people.  They receive tremendous financial support from local and regional businesses who often times are not Alumni.  Three of their most generous contributors are UND grads. (Mercil, Barry, Ingstad).  UND's support strength is our alumni.  We have a number of area businesses who are also very generous supporters but their aren't enough of them. We need to be evaluating every possibility for our programs including level of play and conference affiliation  on a regular basis.  Hopefully Kennedy has that in mind.  He does have an affinity for what the AC is doing. I believe we need to pay attention but that wouldn't be my blueprint.  We need to do it better.  We need to consider the cost and options of moving up in FB. That wouldn't be possible right now and maybe not in the future but if we aren't positioning ourselves for that possibility we will be left flogging the dolphin like we were when  UNI, Montana, Montana State moved up , then later the Su's.  We need a vision and long term strategy that includes better support and sustainable support from out Alumni association.  There is no reason we don't have the Phase 2 part of the Sports facility going.  It will also take a commitment from our present donors to maintain and hopefully increase our present support.  We need to put the name and logo crap to rest.  That ship has not only sailed it has sunk.  One of the reasons it won't ever come back is that no one in their right mind wants to deal with tribal governments.  They can completely change over night.  Happens with our own government elections.  We also need to stop the crap about hockey vs other sports.  There are many fans of neighboring schools in other sports who are loyal UND hockey fans and we need them.    We also need to make sure the transition of the Engelstad arena to UND goes smoothly and we  remain sensitive to the Engelstad family and are respectful of their opinions and input. Lots of work to do but lots of opportunities for success.

1.  Don't you have to look 70 miles to the south to try and protect your interests? But if we're honest with ourselves the decisions been made and there is only room in ND for 1 D1 team and it's not in GF.

2. The process with the removal of the Sioux nickname was seriously flaud. And there are  people  still  trying to as they see it righting a wwrong. Talked to one not long ago. Natives are like anybody else you can deal with them. The problem is in politics in Bismarck or Fort Yates the leaders don't listen to the people's will. I'm assuming Fort Yates votes to OK the use of the nickname.

3.Engelstad arena to the state? Smells bad to me your giving it to Fargo and other anti UND and GF haters.

• Downvote 3

They'll take all the profit out of the Engelstad send the $ who knows where. Not keep up on the maintenance. Kelley leaves town and we find out  500 million deferred maintenance. They will not keep up the building like these guys so do. 

In most cases cities want tax payers to pay for the maintenance  of buildings in there community.  The way the state  has treated  buildings at UND I think I'd take my chances keeping it in the hands of the private sector.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, moser53 said:

They'll take all the profit out of the Engelstad send the $ who knows where. Not keep up on the maintenance. Kelley leaves town and we find out  500 million deferred maintenance. They will not keep up the building like these guys so do. 

In most cases cities want tax payers to pay for the maintenance  of buildings in there community.  The way the state  has treated  buildings at UND I think I'd take my chances keeping it in the hands of the private sector.

f89087eb5f94089a6631be4c271f3e302d51ed3b3f156f6cde83944a1658ba42.jpg

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

1.  Don't you have to look 70 miles to the south to try and protect your interests? But if we're honest with ourselves the decisions been made and there is only room in ND for 1 D1 team and it's not in GF.

2. The process with the removal of the Sioux nickname was seriously flaud. And there are  people  still  trying to as they see it righting a wwrong. Talked to one not long ago. Natives are like anybody else you can deal with them. The problem is in politics in Bismarck or Fort Yates the leaders don't listen to the people's will. I'm assuming Fort Yates votes to OK the use of the nickname.

3.Engelstad arena to the state? Smells bad to me your giving it to Fargo and other anti UND and GF haters.

If you really think UND is going back to Division II and into the arms of the NSIC, then you guys are way more arrogant and self-absorbed than I thought you were. Here are some facts for you:

1) Fargo is not Minneapolis.

2) UND is not going away.

Now go on back to Bisonville and keep dreaming about the Big 12 and/or Big 10.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If you really think UND is going back to Division II and into the arms of the NSIC, then you guys are way more arrogant and self-absorbed than I thought you were. Here are some facts for you:

1) Fargo is not Minneapolis.

2) UND is not going away.

Now go on back to Bisonville and keep dreaming about the Big 12 and/or Big 10.

I don't think he's a bison fan.  Just a crazy person.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, homer said:

There is a difference?  

If we made a Venn diagram, I believe the "bison fan" circle would be entirely within the "crazy person" circle, but the "crazy person" circle would be larger than the "bison fan" circle, as not all crazy people are bison fans.

;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, moser53 said:

What goes on at the AC doesn't threaten what's in the best interest of the University but we must not ignore the success and failures of our friends to the south. Your one school comment is something only an ignorant moron would say.  UND isn't going to waste anymore time on the old name and logo.  Who cares if some take more time to move on.  We cheer for success of the team and athletes not a nickname or logo. Nothing UND can do about it and there are a whole host of people who can be the scapegoats but it no longer matters.  I believe the contract for the Engelstad arena gives ownership and control to UND with all profits going to support UND athletics .  For some reason I thought it was 20 yrs after it opened but I would have to look it up.  Doesn't involve Fargo.  UND is a state institution and I understand the role of the legislature and SBOHE.  Unfortunately the state could mess with UND funding by redirecting other funds if the arena is providing a large financial bonus to UND but the arena wouldn't be directly run by the legislature, Fargo folks nor UND haters.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What goes on at the AC doesn't threaten what's in the best interest of the University but we must not ignore the success and failures of our friends to the south. Your one school comment is something only an ignorant moron would say.  UND isn't going to waste anymore time on the old name and logo.  Who cares if some take more time to move on.  We cheer for success of the team and athletes not a nickname or logo. Nothing UND can do about it and there are a whole host of people who can be the scapegoats but it no longer matters.  I believe the contract for the Engelstad arena gives ownership and control to UND with all profits going to support UND athletics .  For some reason I thought it was 20 yrs after it opened but I would have to look it up.  Doesn't involve Fargo.  UND is a state institution and I understand the role of the legislature and SBOHE.  Unfortunately the state could mess with UND funding by redirecting other funds if the arena is providing a large financial bonus to UND but the arena wouldn't be directly run by the legislature, Fargo folks nor UND haters.  

REA --> UND after 30 years, which started just after start of this century. UND owns land, REA the improvement thereon.  Thanks Ralph Engelstad and family.