SiouxSports.com Forum

Eades to MSUM?

Vegas_Sioux

As a born-and-raised Fighting Sioux graduate who has lived in Minneapolis for almost 20 years now, I still follow the team heavily--but I don't have any feel for the coaching staff. What's the inside information here? What does everyone think about this? Is this a devastating blow to the team if Eades leaves, or is it no big deal?

A poster on the Herald site made a comment that Cary has hurt the program in more ways than anyone would want to know or hear. What the heck is that about?

Someone that has no clue what they are talking about what-so-ever.

Since Scott Arniel got fired in Columbus and Todd Richards took over, is Brad Berry on firm ground as an assistant there, or once Richards either becomes full-time coach or they pull in somebody new is he most likely to be looking for a new job?

I think he will be great - good recruiter - Intensity no problem - I have liked how the mavericks have had a edge to them some years - Eades will only improve on that - Hope he doubles his salary - You suppose Johnson applied too ?

I think he will be great - good recruiter - Intensity no problem - I have liked how the mavericks have had a edge to them some years - Eades will only improve on that - Hope he doubles his salary - You suppose Johnson applied too ?

I'd be very surprised if he hadn't.

As a born-and-raised Fighting Sioux graduate who has lived in Minneapolis for almost 20 years now, I still follow the team heavily--but I don't have any feel for the coaching staff. What's the inside information here? What does everyone think about this? Is this a devastating blow to the team if Eades leaves, or is it no big deal?

A coaching change is ALWAYS a big deal.

It could hurt the team (for example, in the NFL, Weis leaves for Florida and the KC Chiefs tank the following year), it could greatly benefit the team (example: This year's Minnesota Gopher hockey team. Essentally the same team as last year just with Guentzel's system and they go to the Frozen Four), or it could basically stay close to the same (Hakstol).

If Eades does go, though, it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Eades gets head coach at Mankato... it would not surprise me to see Steve Johnson named Associate under him. Or Steve get the Associate Head Coach at UND.

Other coaches whose names will come up:

For UND: John Marks, Tony Hrkac, Karl Goehring (for assistant with Dane Jackson moving up to Associate), James Patrick (not likely but hey, worth noting), Tom Ward, Jason Herter, Scott Koberinski, and perhaps a few others I'm forgetting.

For MSUM (all assuming Eades is named head coach): Tom Ward, Chad Johnson, Derek Lalonde (who MIGHT end up a head coaching candidate at MSUM), Mike Aikens (Omaha - USHL), or somewhere out of the blue.

As for Eades leaving, it would hurt us and help Mankato. I think Guentzel or Eades would be great choices for Mankato.

A coaching change is ALWAYS a big deal.

It could hurt the team (for example, in the NFL, Weis leaves for Florida and the KC Chiefs tank the following year), it could greatly benefit the team (example: This year's Minnesota Gopher hockey team. Essentally the same team as last year just with Guentzel's system and they go to the Frozen Four), or it could basically stay close to the same (Hakstol).

If Eades does go, though, it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Eades gets head coach at Mankato... it would not surprise me to see Steve Johnson named Associate under him. Or Steve get the Associate Head Coach at UND.

Other coaches whose names will come up:

For UND: John Marks, Tony Hrkac, Karl Goehring (for assistant with Dane Jackson moving up to Associate), James Patrick (not likely but hey, worth noting), Tom Ward, Jason Herter, Scott Koberinski, and perhaps a few others I'm forgetting.

For MSUM (all assuming Eades is named head coach): Tom Ward, Chad Johnson, Derek Lalonde (who MIGHT end up a head coaching candidate at MSUM), Mike Aikens (Omaha - USHL), or somewhere out of the blue.

As for Eades leaving, it would hurt us and help Mankato. I think Guentzel or Eades would be great choices for Mankato.

Did anyone ever figure if asst. need degrees like heads do? If they do Chad and Tony can be crossed off the list.

One thing that will be interesting is to see what happens to Kato's assistant coaches. Blue and I can't recall the other. Blue's contract expired with Juttings next year and the other coaches was this summer. In watching the Press conference I think it was the ad who said whoever the coach is I hope that he keeps the two assistants. Will that be apart of any contract? Perhaps not but could get interesting. From what I understand both are solid coaches.

Eades being publicly vocal about wanting the job at MSUM puts him in the driver's seat for the job. The biggest question mark, will be, with Jutting still being paid through next season, will the University dole out enough money to pay a guy like Eades?

I don't think Jutting continuing to get paid will have any bearing on this. His salary is now spread across the entire athletics budget, not just hockey and the President said he was probably going to hire someone in that position anyway. Also, there is no reason to have made a change if they weren't going to hire a higher level coach if they weren't going to pay him. I'm not saying he'll get Mel Pearson money, but he's going to be well paid (whoever it is).

Eades being publicly vocal about wanting the job at MSUM puts him in the driver's seat for the job. The biggest question mark, will be, with Jutting still being paid through next season, will the University dole out enough money to pay a guy like Eades?

Jutting is under contract and will be paid till next summer. That's why he was re-assigned.

Did anyone ever figure if asst. need degrees like heads do? If they do Chad and Tony can be crossed off the list.

I think it would depend on the University. Colgate is preferring that one of their Women's Assistant Coach has a Masters and one has a 4 year degree. Mankato and Vermont are requiring 4 year degrees for their Head Coach positions. St. Lawrence is requiring a 4 year, but preferring a masters for their assistant coach. I found this info on the NCAA Market's website.

Jutting is under contract and will be paid till next summer. That's why he was re-assigned.

I understand that. But with the Athletic department adding another coach, the question was is Mankato willing to pay for two head coaches, especially when the new salary will be higher? This was answered by Bale, though.

Via Dan Myers on twitter:

Sources have told me Minnesota State contacted Minnesota asst coach Mike Guentzel Monday by telephone to gauge his interest in the HC gig.

Biggest hold-up for Guentzel (to MnSt) is whether he is willing to move family. Been behind 5 diff. benches the last 5 yrs