SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

Hey last time I checked the Ralph doesn't have nearly enough parking! What should we do! Why is this being discussed?

There are sidestreets around the cemetery where people could park (including me since I grew up around that neighborhood), at the Alerus you can't just park on I-29, 42nd St, or DeMers and walk. Its either park at the Alerus, take a shuttle or have someone drop you off.

Some of that traffic is going to stay at those new hotels. I don't see parking at the Alerus being a problem. Only way it becomes one is if tailgating continues to grow and they expand that area.

I guess that would be a problem we all would like to see is if the Alerus runs out of spots due to sold out games. It was that article about the concert that said parking is very limited that got me thinking what happens if UND football gets on track where we start winning and we get 12-13k in the seats. Expansion is good with hotels, stores and eating places as long as there is room to expand parking if needed.

I guess that would be a problem we all would like to see is if the Alerus runs out of spots due to sold out games. It was that article about the concert that said parking is very limited that got me thinking what happens if UND football gets on track where we start winning and we get 12-13k in the seats. Expansion is good with hotels, stores and eating places as long as there is room to expand parking if needed.

I would rather there be multiple options of places to eat and stay around the Alerus and have a parking crunch a few times a year rather than have an over abundance of spots that sit empty for 360 days a year and no place for other businesses. You can't have both. Space is limited and having a private business in those spaces is much more beneficial than a parking spot. 4,200 parking spots for a building the size of the Alerus is sufficient. I don't believe that takes into account the Canad or the Sleep Inn parking as well. There are multiple shuttles that run from campus on game days and I would assume concerts/other events as well. As for parking around the Alerus Center, the streets to the east are already being used, so it can be done, very similar to how it is done at the Ralph, though on a more limited basis.

Any idea how much it would cost for the Alerus to build a new indoor football field attached to the building? They could renovate the existing field and use it for something else, possibly a fitness and recreation center for the community. I realize that something like that is not likely to happen anytime soon if at all.

Any idea how much it would cost for the Alerus to build a new indoor football field attached to the building? They could renovate the existing field and use it for something else, possibly a fitness and recreation center for the community. I realize that something like that is not likely to happen anytime soon if at all.

UND will build an on campus football stadium before this idea would ever happen...

• Upvote 1

Do you have a link to that article?

Concerts can hold a lot more people than UND football.

Why is Darrell going off about Alerus Parking all of a sudden? Never heard anyone complain the lots were full.

In Darrell's world the glass is always half empty. He also expects everyone else to step up to the plate and fund a IPF, a new football stadium or parking ramps. Last year he couldn't wait for the football season and was telling everyone to get out and buy tickets and fill the Alerus because we were now in D1. Then, when it came time to step up to the plate and buy tickets to support the team, he purchased Montana and the Potato Bowl tickets. During the season he couldn't understand why there wasn't better attendence. I suspect the reason is that there were too many people like him who were only willing to support the team for a "big" game or two.

• Upvote 1

In Darrell's world the glass is always half empty. He also expects everyone else to step up to the plate and fund a IPF, a new football stadium or parking ramps. Last year he couldn't wait for the football season and was telling everyone to get out and buy tickets and fill the Alerus because we were now in D1. Then, when it came time to step up to the plate and buy tickets to support the team, he purchased Montana and the Potato Bowl tickets. During the season he couldn't understand why there wasn't better attendence. I suspect the reason is that there were too many people like him who were only willing to support the team for a "big" game or two.

I work overnights in Fargo and I work every weekend plus with 3 kids and limited vacation time I cannot attend all the UND games or else I would. So who !@#$ in your oatmeal this morning?

I work overnights in Fargo and I work every weekend plus with 3 kids and limited vacation time I cannot attend all the UND games or else I would. So who !@#$ in your oatmeal this morning?

I think what Rick is saying, is that there are many others in your same position that have to make those decisions...or something along the lines of practice what you preach... I believe both would apply.

I think what Rick is saying, is that there are many others in your same position that have to make those decisions...or something along the lines of practice what you preach... I believe both would apply.

If I didn't take care of my kids, work overnight or live in Fargo I would have season tickets to UND football, basketball and hockey. But my funds are limited with kids, gas, bills and of course the money spent at each game. My goal is to attend the Potato Bowl game ( the kids love the parade) and one other game. If I do have extra money and get vacation time approved i could try a third game but until the kids get older two games is pretty much the max for me.

• Upvote 1

If I didn't take care of my kids, work overnight or live in Fargo I would have season tickets to UND football, basketball and hockey. But my funds are limited with kids, gas, bills and of course the money spent at each game. My goal is to attend the Potato Bowl game ( the kids love the parade) and one other game. If I do have extra money and get vacation time approved i could try a third game but until the kids get older two games is pretty much the max for me.

Not arguing with anything your saying Darell...just saying that that may be the reason others aren't able to go as well. Everyone needs to decide the best way to spend disposable income, take time off from work etc. Rick was just commenting that you are on here preaching to everyone to show up and support the team and then don't do it yourself. Perhaps you don't need to preach about it so much...just sayin ???

Ok...done with the thread drift. Hopefully we will have some good news on the IPF front as spring approaches.

Not arguing with anything your saying Darell...just saying that that may be the reason others aren't able to go as well. Everyone needs to decide the best way to spend disposable income, take time off from work etc. Rick was just commenting that you are on here preaching to everyone to show up and support the team and then don't do it yourself. Perhaps you don't need to preach about it so much...just sayin ???

Ok...done with the thread drift. Hopefully we will have some good news on the IPF front as spring approaches.

This is the problem with our non-hockey programs right now (and in the past as well): not enough "preaching" (aka "marketing") of our basketball and football programs. Just because some individuals cannot have season tickets to everything doesn't mean they should have to keep their mouths shut about it. The more Darrell and myself and others talk about this, the better. Otherwise, moving up was a mistake.

I understand that people like me cannot attend every game but when students can show up at hockey games and not football games there is a problem. Our fan base for football is finally moving back in the right direction thanks to being in the Big Sky. I hope it continues.

anyone know if the betty was designed to accomodate a center hung scoreboard?? it would be nice to see some upgrades done to the betty like they recently did to the ralph....especially when the volleyball and mens bball teams will be host the big sky post season tourneys next year!!!

anyone know if the betty was designed to accomodate a center hung scoreboard?? it would be nice to see some upgrades done to the betty like they recently did to the ralph....especially when the volleyball and mens bball teams will be host the big sky post season tourneys next year!!!

How about some legit seating at each end? The Betty looks like a joke right now with only legit seating at the side and not the ends. TIme to step it up and invest in basketball and football.

How about some legit seating at each end? The Betty looks like a joke right now with only legit seating at the side and not the ends. TIme to step it up and invest in basketball and football.

I'd like to see a smaller version of the moveable risers that are in the Fargodome put into the North end of the Sioux Center. I don't really think they could do anything different at the South end where the overhead doors are and because they need that space for concessions due to the lack of a concourse. I also think there is room above all 4 restrooms to put a small luxury suite in each corner.

I'd like to see a smaller version of the moveable risers that are in the Fargodome put into the North end of the Sioux Center. I don't really think they could do anything different at the South end where the overhead doors are and because they need that space for concessions due to the lack of a concourse. I also think there is room above all 4 restrooms to put a small luxury suite in each corner.

I'm talking permanent seating that retracts the first 10 or so rows like the rest of the seating is there. You could still have concessions underneath.

A center hung scoreboard would be in the way for volleyball. Same reason the BSA/SHAC will never do BB & VB simultaneously. I suppose the roof on the Betty is high enough that you could fit a short scoreboard that can rise to the rafters and the height might be okay for VB, but would it be worth it? (very reduced advertising space)