SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

So does anyone know how much money they have raised so far for the IPF? Wondering how much of the 20 miiion they want raised before they start building.

According to Ira's post, $15.6 million has been pledged. Is that what your asking?

I believe it is accurate to say Altru has come through with a sizable donation and UND has about $15.6 million pledged thus far. This facility project should start picking up speed.

According to Ira's post, $15.6 million has been pledged. Is that what your asking?

II was just wondering if they are going to wait until they get the entire 20 million before they put a shovel in the ground. I guess I am just anxious for an announcement from UND that construction will begin. :)

II was just wondering if they are going to wait until they get the entire 20 million before they put a shovel in the ground. I guess I am just anxious for an announcement from UND that construction will begin. :)

I believe they are required to have the funds committed before they can start. A lot of changes were made to the rules regarding capital projects after the NDSU President's House Presidential Mansion fiasco...

I've move on passed the anxious phase to the "I will believe it when I see dirt being moved" phase. ???

• Upvote 3

Seems like North Dakota's Indoor Practice Facility is on about the same timeline as NDSU's new basketball arena............................. :sad:

Not to be a jerk, but i clicked this thread on accident the other day and it took me to page one. Without realizing that I was reading something 6 years old I almost spit out my coffee when a guarantee was made that UND's IPF would be done before NDSU raised the money for the BSA. Seems like at this point they are on about the same level. Wouldn't be shocked one way or the other on which one gets done first.

I believe they are required to have the funds committed before they can start. A lot of changes were made to the rules regarding capital projects after the NDSU President's House Presidential Mansion fiasco...

Actually that rule was in place before both UND and NDSU's Presidents houses went over budget.

• 1 month later...

Nothing to do with UND's master plan, but this came out in today's PNJ regarding UWF's master plan...

The long term plan at UWF is Division I.

What happens at UWF impacts me, as the outlet shown to the left on the plan doesn't currently exist, but when it is built, it will put the campus within a 1/2 mile walk from my house.

UWF is embarking on a very ambitious athletics facilitiies plan.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6L6_9VINjs

I'm sure, like UND, the plan will take years and years to build.

• 1 month later...

was biking by the old rea/eerc area saturday...is it just me or does that new eerc building make it really tight to fit what is proposed in some the the drawings you see online for the ipf? that building overlaps about a quarter of the way into the old rea's footprint?

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong or if you've heard something different, but I've heard from an architect that he helped design plans for a new UND football stadium a couple years ago and that they're just waiting until the Alerus can't hold the demand for UND football anymore. He said when they made the plans for UND that it was expected they would build the new stadium some time around 2020-2022 but could be sooner if needed. I can't remember specifics but he said they were going to build a stadium where Memorial is right now and that they would incorporate the current west side of Memorial into the new stadium. I believe he also said it would be built for a capacity around 20k-25k and that they actually had plans for a retractable roof on it.

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but this is what I was told by the architect.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong or if you've heard something different, but I've heard from an architect that he helped design plans for a new UND football stadium a couple years ago and that they're just waiting until the Alerus can't hold the demand for UND football anymore. He said when they made the plans for UND that it was expected they would build the new stadium some time around 2020-2022 but could be sooner if needed. I can't remember specifics but he said they were going to build a stadium where Memorial is right now and that they would incorporate the current west side of Memorial into the new stadium. I believe he also said it would be built for a capacity around 20k-25k and that they actually had plans for a retractable roof on it.

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but this is what I was told by the architect.

The cost of that would be beyond insane. I don't think many folks on here are holding their breath waiting for that.

The cost of that would be beyond insane. I don't think many folks on here are holding their breath waiting for that.

A lot, yes. Insane, no. I'd have to guess it would probably be anywhere between the 50-70 million dollars MAX.

A lot, yes. Insane, no. I'd have to guess it would probably be anywhere between the 50-70 million dollars MAX.

The number would probably be 3 to 4 times that, at least. Probably between $2-300,000,000. The retractable roof they are looking at for the Vikings stadium is expected to cost more than $100,000,000 for just the roof. There is an entire conversation about the topic in this thread. Some preliminary plans were drawn up as a part of a master plan. A couple of different versions were included in this thread. Some potential donors have been discussed. None of this is planned for sure, and much of the stadium plan is basically a dream at this point. But the point of the master plan was to have something available in case the dream has a chance of coming true in the future.

The number would probably be 3 to 4 times that, at least. Probably between $2-300,000,000. The retractable roof they are looking at for the Vikings stadium is expected to cost more than $100,000,000 for just the roof. There is an entire conversation about the topic in this thread. Some preliminary plans were drawn up as a part of a master plan. A couple of different versions were included in this thread. Some potential donors have been discussed. None of this is planned for sure, and much of the stadium plan is basically a dream at this point. But the point of the master plan was to have something available in case the dream has a chance of coming true in the future.

Aww, good call. I thought the roofs were a little cheaper but it seems like a roof the university would buy woud probably run anywhere between 20 and 40 million. Even with the roof I see absolutely no reason that construction for a stadium like this should surpass $150 million. I'd actually put it around $120 million. It is a lot, but this would still be at least 10 years off I'm sure. With the absurd budget surplus the state of North Dakota will have by that time because of oil, it wouldn't be wrong to think UND might be able to get a pretty fair chunk of cash towards it if everything is planned right.

Aww, good call. I thought the roofs were a little cheaper but it seems like a roof the university would buy woud probably run anywhere between 20 and 40 million. Even with the roof I see absolutely no reason that construction for a stadium like this should surpass $150 million. I'd actually put it around $120 million. It is a lot, but this would still be at least 10 years off I'm sure. With the absurd budget surplus the state of North Dakota will have by that time because of oil, it wouldn't be wrong to think UND might be able to get a pretty fair chunk of cash towards it if everything is planned right.

TCF Bank stadium cost $300,000,000 to build a few years ago. The cost would be another $30-40,000,000 if they started now. It seats just over 50,000. Cut the building in half and it would cost more than $150,000,000 without a roof. Add $100,000,000 for a roof. A college football roof isn't going to cost much less than a pro football roof, the roof still has to operate and hold snow. Maybe cut it in half if it is a regular dome and not retractable.. But it is going to be over $200,000,000 if they started now, and probably over $300,000,000 if they start it in 10-12 years.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to build a partially enclosed stadium like they have in soccer? I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

So it can snow and be bitterly cold in part of the stadium? I say if we can't have a roof bring football back to Memorial Stadium and just upgrade it. You had 10,000 with seats on both sidelines, just add seats north and south, upgrade the scoreboard into a videoboard and you could get a good 20,000 seat stadium.

I'm not sure if a retractable roof is really needed, A new stadium will only happen with a move to FBS. In that case, the latest you will have a non-bowl game is right before Thanksgiving. In general, you would work with your league to ensure your last game of the season is a road game. The truly bad weather games have typically come mid-to-late November or in December for playoff games. That won't be a consideration in FBS. Early November games you are more likely to have bad attendance due to deer hunting than weather. An enclosed stadium would also cut down on wind impact, which was really what made things tough at Memorial Stadium. Add some radiant heat like they have at Target Field and there is no reason to spend on a retractable roof. The most reasonable, cost-effective option would be to add three sides on to Memorial Stadium, switch the existing section to the visiting side, then build nicer seating and a new press box on the east side, along with additional bleacher seating in both end zones.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone been to TCF stadium in the Twin Cities? I have heard they have heaters there that help. Any REAL feedback on that? I assume the Packers have that also...

I heard they have alcohol now at Gopher games....that might help watching them get destroyed.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if a retractable roof is really needed, A new stadium will only happen with a move to FBS. In that case, the latest you will have a non-bowl game is right before Thanksgiving. In general, you would work with your league to ensure your last game of the season is a road game. The truly bad weather games have typically come mid-to-late November or in December for playoff games. That won't be a consideration in FBS. Early November games you are more likely to have bad attendance due to deer hunting than weather. An enclosed stadium would also cut down on wind impact, which was really what made things tough at Memorial Stadium. Add some radiant heat like they have at Target Field and there is no reason to spend on a retractable roof. The most reasonable, cost-effective option would be to add three sides on to Memorial Stadium, switch the existing section to the visiting side, then build nicer seating and a new press box on the east side, along with additional bleacher seating in both end zones.

FBS is not a requirement for a nice new stadium, fans packing the Alerus is. Just like with hockey, people were saying that 12000 seats was too big and they'd never sell out. And that was after some non-visionary piss ants talked Ralph down from 15000 seats. We shouldn't be afraid to dream big, thats what makes UND a special place. World class facilities should be our signature for both the school and athletic program. Retractable roof all the way, we'd be the first.

• Upvote 3