SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

• 2 months later...

biked by the old ralph today and didn't see any sign that the ipf was even close to happening?? is und weeks, months, or years away from things happening (first--the old raph being torn down!!!)??? and how many phases are there...one two or three? and how much cash is needed for each phase and how much cash is actually in th banks for each phase???

anyone think that anyone at und hinted at mr chipman (when he was in town last week) that und's contract with the alerus runs out in about nine years and ..........?

just wondering

• 1 month later...

went to the und ndac womens game in fargo yesterday...hadn't been in the bsa in over 15 years...other than some okay scoreboards what has the ndac done to update that building ( i guess it doubles as a storage facility too---large industrial floor cleaners by the north doors really make the place feel classy)? i felt unsafe even visiting the dippin dots area!! that place was obsolete a decade ago and now its just embarressing. Are the pics that ndac puts out of a "new" bsa actually a new buidling or a renovation of the current building?

und should not lose a mens or womens bball recruit to ndac

und>ndac

city of grand forks>city of fargo

betty engelstad sioux center>bsa storage facility

big sky> ncc2.1

coach brew> ndac's new coach next year

now if we could just get that indoor practice facility ground broken....

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

As much as the Alerus Center gets knocked, especially by bizon fans, bet this will never get posted on their forum:

In the end, both Vanyo and Sobolik likened their aspirations for the Fargodome to the Alerus Center in Grand Forks, which has ample connecting exhibition space, restaurants, bars and a hotel.

“It’s very impressive,” Vanyo said of the Alerus Center. “I think of how impressive the Fargodome is, to add something like that would just be really, really nice.”

Once the plans become public, Sobolik said, he expects a call from the Alerus Center’s management.

“ ‘You’re jealous. You want what we have,’ ” he said they might say to him. “To a certain degree, they’re right.”

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/16208/

As much as the Alerus Center gets knocked, especially by bizon fans, bet this will never get posted on their forum:

http://www.wdaz.com/...ticle/id/16208/

But isn't the Alerus losing space by all the building around it. Aren't they going to wonder where do people park? They had lots and lots of land but now you have a hotel to the south (can't remember what its called) eating up parking spots, then you have the Canada Inn to the north VD to the east and the interstate to the west. IMO unless you build a huge parking ramp they are going to run out of room to park. I don't think many people want to drive to the Engelstad, Altru or wherever the shuttles come from (pay them) then wait til after the game, get on a shuttle, and then drive home from the drop off spot. I would rather drive there and drive home (minus the 5 dollar parking fee).

But isn't the Alerus losing space by all the building around it. Aren't they going to wonder where do people park? They had lots and lots of land but now you have a hotel to the south (can't remember what its called) eating up parking spots, then you have the Canada Inn to the north VD to the east and the interstate to the west. IMO unless you build a huge parking ramp they are going to run out of room to park. I don't think many people want to drive to the Engelstad, Altru or wherever the shuttles come from (pay them) then wait til after the game, get on a shuttle, and then drive home from the drop off spot. I would rather drive there and drive home (minus the 5 dollar parking fee).

The hotel to the south didn't take up any parking spots, that area was an empty, unpaved lot. Also, the Alerus added parking to the southwest of that hotel several years ago. IMO, there is ample parking available, people may just need to carpool to the games (which they should be doing anyways to save on the $5 parking charge).

The Sleep Inn wasn't paved for parking, it was a grass area and it was rarely, if ever, used for parking. The Valley Dairy lot was never used for parking. There have been a very few times where the field south of Valley Dairy, or the field across the street north of Valley Dairy were used for parking. The Alerus should be able to handle parking for almost every event except a full house concert. On those rare days people can car pool or take shuttle buses from local establishments.

The Sleep Inn wasn't paved for parking, it was a grass area and it was rarely, if ever, used for parking. The Valley Dairy lot was never used for parking. There have been a very few times where the field south of Valley Dairy, or the field across the street north of Valley Dairy were used for parking. The Alerus should be able to handle parking for almost every event except a full house concert. On those rare days people can car pool or take shuttle buses from local establishments.

I am just saying with all the expansion and building around the Alerus (Sleep INN, VD) they are going to find that people want to park there....not shuttle. Why not build enough parking for the Alerus? You want to stand in line outside the Engelstad (or shuttle point) if its windy, cold, and rainy/snowing to get a bus? Or drive to the Alerus and walk into the building. I have never taken the shuttle but have seen people stand there for busses. I don't know the average wait time, can someone fill me in on that.

It should also be noted that the Sleep in didn't build on land owned by the city/Alerus. That was privately owned land, same with the land to the south of the current Alerus parking lots and on the east side of 42nd St.

Exactly. The Alerus/city isn't going to buy up the private land and turn it into additional parking space that doesn't generate revenue and adds to expenses (maintenance, etc). The Al has enough parking space for 90% of it's events, if not more. The occasional "large" event such as the George Strait concert, doesn't justify adding parking space. Even when/if UND gets to the point of selling out football games, parking isn't too much of an issue. I don't recall it being brought up in the early 2000's when UND was selling out football games...

Exactly. The Alerus/city isn't going to buy up the private land and turn it into additional parking space that doesn't generate revenue and adds to expenses (maintenance, etc). The Al has enough parking space for 90% of it's events, if not more. The occasional "large" event such as the George Strait concert, doesn't justify adding parking space. Even when/if UND gets to the point of selling out football games, parking isn't too much of an issue. I don't recall it being brought up in the early 2000's when UND was selling out football games...

The Canad Inn also wasn't there in the early 2000's.

It was a parking lot. That's where the Marching Band rehearsed before they kicked us out due to the CanadInn. First we got kicked off the field where they built the Hilton Garden Inn, then kicked out of the parking lot where they built the CanadInn.

Huh, well good thing there is no shortage of flat, open ground in North Dakota.... ;)