SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

We've done a live chat or two in the past with Brian -- typically in the summers -- and those did pretty strong traffic and seemed to be well received. We will definitely look at doing another one this year, just no guarantees it will happen until closer to spring. As I'm sure you can imagine, things get awfully hectic for everyone around here as playoffs draw closer for various sports.

We've done a live chat or two in the past with Brian -- typically in the summers -- and those did pretty strong traffic and seemed to be well received. We will definitely look at doing another one this year, just no guarantees it will happen until closer to spring. As I'm sure you can imagine, things get awfully hectic for everyone around here as playoffs draw closer for various sports.

I take it that's on the UND website its done? I think you should advertise it here for us next time. Thanks.

I take it that's on the UND website its done? I think you should advertise it here for us next time. Thanks.

Yes, they were on the website via Cover It Live, much like our game chats. We'll definitely be sure to give advance notice here, as well as on Twitter. Here is a link to the last one we did (crap, it's been three years?), to give you an idea of the topics covered. Brian even broke some news at the end of the chat (MBB scheduling NDSU), if I remember correctly:

http://www.undsports...409&SPSID=58715

I have a question about the banners in the Betty... It has the old Sioux logos on them the geometric Indian head logo, but all the banners on the REA is the most recent Indian head logos. Why the difference?

Because the geometric logo was the one in use when they won all the national championsips. Those banners were hanging in the Hyslop and they just moved them.

Or why no Great West Championship banners for womens basketball and volleyball at the Betty??

I'm pretty sure there are.

Because the geometric logo was the one in use when they won all the national championsips. Those banners were hanging in the Hyslop and they just moved them.

I'm pretty sure there are.

But UND never won a championship with the latest Indian head logo.

But UND never won a championship with the latest Indian head logo.

I'm talking women's basketball. The REA made new ones for the hockey team with the new logo when they opened the new arena in 2001. When the basketball teams moved into the Sioux Center in 2004, they just brought the old ones from the Hyslop.

I'm talking women's basketball. The REA made new ones for the hockey team with the new logo when they opened the new arena in 2001. When the basketball teams moved into the Sioux Center in 2004, they just brought the old ones from the Hyslop.

You mean hockey has been treated differently than other sports at UND

Come on ... I had to. ;)

Football team got new banners when they moved into the Alerus. Not sure why the basketball team doesn't have matching banners. Does it have to do with the historical significance clause with the NCAA? Redone banners would not be allowed to have any of the Sioux head logos on them? I believe things like those were exempt from the settlement.

Darrell is probably asking since the hockey team moved into a new arena they got new banners.

Why didn't the basketball team?

#butthockey?

Exactly.

Buthockey is exactly why. REA was in the process of adorning the new arena with 2,500 of the new Ben Brien logos, and they had new banners made to match. REA doesn't care enough about basketball to do the same when the teams moved into the Sioux Center 3 or 4 years later.

Football team got new banners when they moved into the Alerus. Not sure why the basketball team doesn't have matching banners.

The new football banners were put into the Alerus about 5 years after it opened, and they were paid for by Harold Newman of Newman Signs.

Buthockey is exactly why. REA was in the process of adorning the new arena with 2,500 of the new Ben Brien logos, and they had new banners made to match. REA doesn't care enough about basketball to do the same when the teams moved into the Sioux Center 3 or 4 years later.

The new football banners were put into the Alerus about 5 years after it opened, and they were paid for by Harold Newman of Newman Signs.

I never have been to a game in the Betty but took a tour last summer of the REA which led us into the Betty and the banners stood out to me. So I thought since the REA and the Betty were pretty much connected why they didn't have the same logos.

I don't know anything about Track & Field, so I was wondering if the new IPF would allow UND to host Indoor track & field meets? I assume it would. The Big Sky championship is going on right now in Bozeman, and I was reading about their facility. They have just a 200 meter track. Their website says their arena is one of only 3 sites that ever host the Big Sky championship.

I've never went to a college meet before. That would be fantastic if our facility could host the Big Sky Conference Indoors. I can't remember what size track were they talking about for the new facility? I think a facility like the one that is in the works will not only help a program like football, but nearly all our programs.

I've never went to a college meet before. That would be fantastic if our facility could host the Big Sky Conference Indoors. I can't remember what size track were they talking about for the new facility? I think a facility like the one that is in the works will not only help a program like football, but nearly all our programs.

The new facility would have a 300 m track, unlike older ones (and NDSU's new one) that have 200 m.

To host the meet, a facility needs to have a long jump pit, a high jump, pole vault, and shot put area, as well as a banked 200 m track (300 m doesn't need banking).

The three Big Sky hosts have been MSU fieldhouse (basketball arena with large floor space), Idaho State's dome, and NAU's dome.

http://www.ustfccca....eetno=-36308787

Since an indoor track meet doesn't really need much seating and a 300 m track is actually preferred, UND's IPF might get that meet, but probably not without a lot of travel complaints. Phase 2 probably is needed to provide enough locker room space. None of the ISU, NAU, or MSU locations are actually easy to get to though, and Bozeman's air fares are rather expensive.

The Alerus could technically host it too, but doubt they'd want to make an investment in the kinds of equipment and modifications needed. It wouldn't be a major tourist thing except for the hotel rooms the athletes need.

In the old days, Hyslop used to host the NCC indoor meet. The 200 m track (or maybe then in yards) used to go under each side of the upper level stands with the retractable bench seating on either side of basketball court and of course the court removed. Until some time in the 70's, Hyslop's floor wasn't even concrete, but dirt.

The new facility would have a 300 m track, unlike older ones (and NDSU's new one) that have 200 m.

To host the meet, a facility needs to have a long jump pit, a high jump, pole vault, and shot put area, as well as a banked 200 m track (300 m doesn't need banking).

The three Big Sky hosts have been MSU fieldhouse (basketball arena with large floor space), Idaho State's dome, and NAU's dome.

Since an indoor track meet doesn't really need much seating and a 300 m track is actually preferred, UND's IPF might get that meet, but probably not without a lot of travel complaints. Phase 2 probably is needed to provide enough locker room space. None of the ISU, NAU, or MSU locations are actually easy to get to though, and Bozeman's air fares are rather expensive.

The Alerus could technically host it too, but not sure they'd want to make an investment in the kinds of equipment and modifications needed. It wouldn't be a major tourist thing except for the hotel rooms the athletes need.

In the old days, Hyslop used to host the NCC indoor meet. The 200 m track (of maybe then yard) used to go under each side of the upper level stands with the retractable benches on side of basketball court and of course the court removed.

The curves on the Hyslop track were tight. When I was in high school running a 400m there, I wiped out due to a little bit of sand from the long jump pit getting on the track, and scraped up my hip pretty bad. Not sure if it was just a coincidence or not, but that was either the last, or one of the last times the GF schools had an indoor meet there.

The Alerus could technically host it too, but not sure they'd want to make an investment in the kinds of equipment and modifications needed. It wouldn't be a major tourist thing except for the hotel rooms the athletes need.

In the old days, Hyslop used to host the NCC indoor meet. The 200 m track (of maybe then yard) used to go under each side of the upper level stands with the retractable benches on side of basketball court and of course the court removed.

I think UND would have no problem hosting with only Phase I of the facility complete, Hyslop has enough space and lockers/showers for teams to use if those facilities aren't on site yet. While you are right that an indoor meet doesn't need much seating, I'd guess the BSC has a minimum amount of spectator seating they like to see in a host facility, which judging from the current IPF renderings, UND would have. I just hope that if the project budget gets tight that they don't reduce the size of the building by eliminating the space for seating.

The facility would probably host a number of indoor high school meets as well as college meets. The high school state indoor meets would most likely be held here at least every other year with that facility, which would bring a lot of people to town.

Hyslop did host a number of meets in the past, but it is not even close to 200m. I believe it is something like 160yd around, and it only went under one side of the stands.