SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Anybody have any info on JT Miller? I know someone started a thread a while back stating a verbal would be coming from him. I believe Grimaldi and Miller visited together and are good friends so I wonder if this impacts Miller's decision.

Ranger, Miller still is saying UND. His parents wanted a face to face with the coaches before committing. Should happen soon.

what is the scoop on Miller, is he good? Does he have a face for TV??

Played on the U17 team with Grimaldi and finished 2nd to Rocco in points on the team.

Rocco had 40pts in 36 games (before being called up to the U18 team), while Miller had 31pts in 46 games.

He must play with more of an edge, as he was also 2nd on the team in PIM.

For the Intl competition, he was also 2nd in points (behind Grimaldi once again), with 17pts in 14 games and a whopping 56 PIM...26 PIM more than the next guy on the team.

Wow wouldn't that be somthing if the Sioux land Schmaltz and Miller to go along with Grimaldi. I would say that is a pretty good trio of players. Lets hope our coaches can seal the deal.

miller and schmaltz would be huge togo along with rocco.

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, and couldn't think of a different place, but here's a Canadian take on the rise of US prominence in amateur hockey, epsecially at the U-17 and U-18 levels.

Linky

i think the most telling part of the article about hockey canada, and how they feel about themselves and the rest of the hockey world, was his quote saying he would like the wjc and u-17 moved to either the begining or end of THEIR season so it doesn't interfere with THEIR club teams. we all know that canada thinks highly of themselves in reguards to hockey, but to have "world" tournaments scheduled around canadas junior hockey schedules seems a bit arrogant. we could probably schedule the winter olympics around any canadian holidays also so we don't cause any conflicts there also :D

A.J. Michaelson has been mentioned here before. i believe he has visited und, um, uw and not sure if hes visited umd or not but he may have already. He and Hudson Fasching (listed at 6'3 190 as a freshman) seem to be top recruits of their classes and big time talents. throw in the two shattucks stars and they could do some damage together ;)

A.J. Michaelson article

A.J. Michaelson has been mentioned here before. i believe he has visited und, um, uw and not sure if hes visited umd or not but he may have already. He and Hudson Fasching (listed at 6'3 190 as a freshman) seem to be top recruits of their classes and big time talents. throw in the two shattucks stars and they could do some damage together ;)

A.J. Michaelson article

I know over on GPL they are speculating that there are two "huge commits" that could possibly be coming and Michaelson was believed to be one of them. I think the speculation was that Skjei was the other. Hopefully Michaelson is still available, so when he and Fasching come up to Grand Forks again this year for the Stastad Tournament, they can have a little fodder to think about. It certainly would be nice to watch them without looking at them through the critical eye as a "gopher recruit". Hopefully the uncertainty of the coaching down in Minneapolis should come into play a bit for a couple NHL top-end prospects, and it certainly doesn't hurt the Sioux with how their coaching staff is looked at in NHL circles. You certainly wouldn't want to use negative recruiting practices, especially on kids from the Cities, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to say we have a good track record of getting guys ready for the next level. I suspect that might not even be necessary, as I am sure many are aware of it anyway. Sometimes kids just want to play for the team they grew up watching, and you can't blame them for that. Don't know if that is the case with the Apple Valley kids, but hopefully they will see all that the Sioux have to offer in the way of development, atmosphere, tradition and facilities.

I know over on GPL they are speculating that there are two "huge commits" that could possibly be coming and Michaelson was believed to be one of them. I think the speculation was that Skjei was the other. Hopefully Michaelson is still available, so when he and Fasching come up to Grand Forks again this year for the Stastad Tournament, they can have a little fodder to think about. It certainly would be nice to watch them without looking at them through the critical eye as a "gopher recruit". Hopefully the uncertainty of the coaching down in Minneapolis should come into play a bit for a couple NHL top-end prospects, and it certainly doesn't hurt the Sioux with how their coaching staff is looked at in NHL circles. You certainly wouldn't want to use negative recruiting practices, especially on kids from the Cities, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to say we have a good track record of getting guys ready for the next level. I suspect that might not even be necessary, as I am sure many are aware of it anyway. Sometimes kids just want to play for the team they grew up watching, and you can't blame them for that. Don't know if that is the case with the Apple Valley kids, but hopefully they will see all that the Sioux have to offer in the way of development, atmosphere, tradition and facilities.

to those who have seen these two play or know their games more than the average joe which one is considered to be better overall? or are they both top notch talent for their respective draft class along with the 2 guys from shattuck?

the size that hudson has at that age is amazing and iunderstand they are still young but seem to be big time talents

to those who have seen these two play or know their games more than the average joe which one is considered to be better overall? or are they both top notch talent for their respective draft class along with the 2 guys from shattuck?

the size that hudson has at that age is amazing and iunderstand they are still young but seem to be big time talents

Who are the 2 Shattuck guys?

I'm assuming we are talking about Taylor Cammarata and Zach Stepan? Those are the only two I know we are pursuing.

yes, i guess i should leave it at cammarata as a elite prospect but stepan seems to be very solid as well

yes, i guess i should leave it at cammarata as a elite prospect but stepan seems to be very solid as well

I think Nathan MacKinnon is considered an elite prospect in the same boat as Cammarata and a 95 birth year as well. I think those are the two Shattuck guys we may be persuing as I think Stepan is Badger bound although that doesn't mean we aren't persuing as well.

I think Nathan MacKinnon is considered an elite prospect in the same boat as Cammarata and a 95 birth year as well. I think those are the two Shattuck guys we may be persuing as I think Stepan is Badger bound although that doesn't mean we aren't persuing as well.

I know for a fact we're pursuing Cammarata and Stepan(I read an article), I don't know much about MacKinnon except that he's from the same hometown as Sidney Crosby and some call him the second coming of Sidney Crosby, but I've never seen the kid play or anything. So I'd guess MacKinnon is bound for the Q. We could very well be pursuing all three. There's a lot of recruits we get that I'm never aware we are pursuing. I also agree that Stepan is likely Badger bound.

Anyone have any new info on J.T. Miller? This was posted over on USCHO in a Michigan St. recruiting forum. Based on this info, he is leaning towards the Boston schools. Not sure where this person got the info though.

Mid-to-long shot:

F J.T. Miller - 6'0 190, ? East Palestine, OH

Pittsburgh Hornets (AAA)

USNTDP U18

Plymouth (OHL 5th round)

In the running: Michigan State, Boston College, Boston University, Denver, North Dakota, Northeastern, Wisconsin

Favors Boston Schools, has offers from BU and Michigan State

Crazy as this sounds ... when are they going to bring in some defensemen.

Before you all jump all over me, hang with me for a second:

Genoway, Marto, and LaPoint are in their last years.

Blood is a pretty big flight risk after this year.

MacWilliam made big strides last year. If he repeats that could he be a flight risk?

That leaves Gleason (now F/D), Hill (who won't see much ice), Forbort, and Simpson, with only Nick Mattson in the defenseman pipeline.

Assume (only) Blood leaves early, that leaves for 2011-12:

MacWilliam, Gleason, Forbort, Simpson, Hill, and Mattson.

That's not enough.