SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

MN Hockey Hub has a couple of lists about MN kids getting DI interest. We're listed for a couple of guys.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/117423-top-minnesota-high-school-prospects

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/225438-2009-10-top-uncommitted-division-i-prospects

Michaelson, Schroeder,Tufte, and Knochenmus.

It was my understanding that Michaelson was going to decide on either UND or UMTC after the UND/Bem series. So we should hear either way soon.

I don't know if this has been discussed but is Chad Demers from the Fargo Force been recruited by anyone?

Demers seems to be having a good season with the Force he has like 8 points in 8 games...

The knock on him is he isn't that strong a skater? I have seen him play, seems to skate well enough to always be in the right place at the right time. Had a couple goals on Thursday night which didn't hurt his cause as that was the only USHL game on the schedule that night and there was around 30 scouts/college coaches on hand.

The knock on him is he isn't that strong a skater? I have seen him play, seems to skate well enough to always be in the right place at the right time. Had a couple goals on Thursday night which didn't hurt his cause as that was the only USHL game on the schedule that night and there was around 30 scouts/college coaches on hand.

I would hope that UND is looking at him, because I would hate to see another North Dakota kid ripping up the Sioux.

So in a couple weeks we should know. My guess. UND!

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me if he is holding out to see if Minnesota turns it around a bit. I would think he has all the other information he needs to make an informed decision. If he waits to the end of the year, there also could be talk of new coaches at Minnesota if things aren't going well, so if he wants to go there he might want to see where things are heading. On the positive side if he hasn't deciced before the season, he will get to play at the Ralph a few more times before making his decision in the Jason Statstad tournament.

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me if he is holding out to see if Minnesota turns it around a bit. I would think he has all the other information he needs to make an informed decision. If he waits to the end of the year, there also could be talk of new coaches at Minnesota if things aren't going well, so if he wants to go there he might want to see where things are heading. On the positive side if he hasn't deciced before the season, he will get to play at the Ralph a few more times before making his decision in the Jason Statstad tournament.

That Gopher hockey team has more problems than Don Lucia. I think it's the mix of players, buffoons disguised as assist coaches.

That Gopher hockey team has more problems than Don Lucia. I think it's the mix of players, buffoons disguised as assist coaches.

Lucia is the least of their problems.

Although it actually does go back to him. He doesn't recruit any grit. He doesn't adjust well with the talent he's got. He thinks John Hill can coach...

Lucia is the least of their problems.

Although it actually does go back to him. He doesn't recruit any grit. He doesn't adjust well with the talent he's got. He thinks John Hill can coach...

Completely agree. It does fall on Lucia's shoulders, ultimately. A team needs grinders on the team. They need the 4 year role players. They are starting to switch it up and bringing in older USHL players, which is a start. I am surprised though with so many draft picks that players are hungry every shift to prove theyre worth it.

Hak and Co recruit exactly that way. Its all about strategy in recruiting. You need the Kristos, but the Lamoureux/Davidsons create the toughness needed especially in the WCHA.

So in a couple weeks we should know. My guess. UND!

It seems pretty clear that Michaelson is still unsure. A couple of weeks ago it was down to the Gophers or the Sioux and now Bemidji State is a possibility. Last spring he was wavering on an invite from the NDPT so they gave him an extra week to decide. My guess is that we waits until this high school season is over. If that's the case Apple Valley games are going to be very popular with college coaches and scouts.....as good as AJ is Fasching will be better (IMHO).

It seems pretty clear that Michaelson is still unsure. A couple of weeks ago it was down to the Gophers or the Sioux and now Bemidji State is a possibility. Last spring he was wavering on an invite from the NDPT so they gave him an extra week to decide. My guess is that we waits until this high school season is over. If that's the case Apple Valley games are going to be very popular with college coaches and scouts.....as good as AJ is Fasching will be better (IMHO).

If he is not passionate about UND, why keep recruiting him? We need kids who really, really, want to play here. If he does not decide soon, pull the offer.

• Downvote 4

If he is not passionate about UND, why keep recruiting him? We need kids who really, really, want to play here. If he does not decide soon, pull the offer.

fail...

For all we know he has already committed or decided not to come, we don't always know right away. Further with today's commits we are pretty full until 2013.

You can't rush a kid's decision. Whatever route he chooses, I'm sure he'll be fully committed to that route. There are benefits in going to both UND and Minnesota (yeah, I said it), even though from our point of view there is no better place than UND.

What's going through his head is something like this:

"UND is a great hockey school that has the potential to make me a better hockey player than anywhere else, but it's a bit farther from home. However, Minnesota is closer to home, and I'd likely get a bit more NHL exposure with an NHL team in my backyard, despite the recent failures of the program."

Since we have had some commitments from the NTDP program lately, I would also like to add that we have also shown interest in Nikolas Olsson, Seth Jones, and Jared Rutledge. I would say that Olsson is most likely to go to Denver, Jones is between Denver, Miami-Ohio, and North Dakota, and Rutledge is between North Dakota and Michigan State. Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought I would add it in.

Since we have had some commitments from the NTDP program lately, I would also like to add that we have also shown interest in Nikolas Olsson, Seth Jones, and Jared Rutledge. I would say that Olsson is most likely to go to Denver, Jones is between Denver, Miami-Ohio, and North Dakota, and Rutledge is between North Dakota and Michigan State. Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought I would add it in.

Doesn't Seth Jones' brother go to Denver now? I think I read that he is a freshman this year, but is having issues getting NCAA approval or something, so he hasn't played a game yet.

Thanks for the tips. Added here:

http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/sioux_recruiting

There was a Ryan Jones that played for Miami who was pretty darn good, any relation there?

And speaking of Jones', Matt and Zach have a little bro who is probably still a ways off from the college level age-wise, but just something to think about in the future.