SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

What are the supposed advantages of major juniors and the other Canadian leagues over going the college route?

IMO, major juniors is for players who won't play in college very long b/c they are closer to NHL-ready. Physically, they might have the strength to play in the NHL, but need more game action to develop their game. College is for players who maybe need more time in the weight room to develop physically and more practice time to refine their skills. It really does depend on where a player is at if you ask me. FOr some major junior is better, for others college is better. And then there are those special players that would make it to the nhl no matter where they chose to play.

What are the supposed advantages of major juniors and the other Canadian leagues over going the college route?

MJ also doesn't require the player to go to "school" and "classes", although most MJ teams will offer a scholarship program if the player is interested in that. :p

Makes sense for a player that doesn't want to be burdened with learning. :angry:

IMO, major juniors is for players who won't play in college very long b/c they are closer to NHL-ready. Physically, they might have the strength to play in the NHL, but need more game action to develop their game. College is for players who maybe need more time in the weight room to develop physically and more practice time to refine their skills. It really does depend on where a player is at if you ask me. FOr some major junior is better, for others college is better. And then there are those special players that would make it to the nhl no matter where they chose to play.

Don't Canadian MJ players also receive a paycheck/stipend of some kind? I think some people (Canadians) believe there's a level of play advantage across the board vs American college hockey.

Don't Canadian MJ players also receive a paycheck/stipend of some kind? I think some people (Canadians) believe there's a level of play advantage across the board vs American college hockey.

I know you get like one year tuition paid by the league for each year you play in the league for studies if you choose to do that. I'm not sure on financial compensation. I think there's some sort of financial package, but I've heard the opposite as well. It's vague and depends if you ask an American or a Canadian. Canadian's seem to think the USHL and some of those lower tier leagues give athletes compensation also...

I believe that story is from last year.

I linked an article from the site earlier, but if anyone is interested in a pretty good new recruiting site that started up this month: http://collegehockey247.rivals.com/default.asp They get a lot of interviews with NTDP players, and I assume that's because one of the writers is from Michigan. You have to pay in order to read the ticketed articles though. Anyway, if you look at the first article they printed on January 13 you will see Grimaldi has narrowed his choice down to three schools: Denver, Notre Dame, and North Dakota. He indicated he is in contact with all three coaching staffs, and has visited all but North Dakota. However he has scheduled a visit soon. I only bring this up because I think it would be surprising that he has tossed these three schools aside and jumped to the WHL in a span of 2 weeks.

yes crosby i believe had a hell of a deal. i think maybe partial proceeds of their tickets where he played may was a part of his

I linked an article from the site earlier, but if anyone is interested in a pretty good new recruiting site that started up this month: http://collegehockey247.rivals.com/default.asp They get a lot of interviews with NTDP players, and I assume that's because one of the writers is from Michigan. You have to pay in order to read the ticketed articles though. Anyway, if you look at the first article they printed on January 13 you will see Grimaldi has narrowed his choice down to three schools: Denver, Notre Dame, and North Dakota. He indicated he is in contact with all three coaching staffs, and has visited all but North Dakota. However he has scheduled a visit soon. I only bring this up because I think it would be surprising that he has tossed these three schools aside and jumped to the WHL in a span of 2 weeks.

that is a year old, you are right.

I'm still having difficulties letting go of 2009 apparently :angry:

Canadian Major Junior leagues (CHL) is the best proving ground for future NHLers. The schedule is long (60+) and the focus is entirely hockey, making it feel like the pros. Because it is the fastest way for the best of the best to get into the NHL, it tends to harbor the best talent.

So, you play there you: worry about nothing but hockey, play a long season, play against the best competition, and play in front of all the scouts.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy that the best NHLers tend to come out of the CHL and the best 16-17 year olds go that route.

UND stole Toews who went #1 in the bantam draft for the WHL. UND has made a name for itself as the college hockey program to go to to prepare to be a pro.

Is there a kid out of Detroit Lakes that's good? Haven't looked myself but I've heard he's on the radar for DI schools. Not saying us....just that he's being watched and may have a chance. I don't recall but are there any ND kids on being watched for possible DI.

You're probably thinking of this kid: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_player/show/166503

He currently leads the state in scoring, but I have no clue on his potential. It could be similar to Joey Benik from St. Francis (St. Cloud comitt), in which the kid has talent but his stats are inflated due to the competition. But this is all a guess, I really don't have a clue on the potential here.

You're probably thinking of this kid: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_player/show/166503

He currently leads the state in scoring, but I have no clue on his potential. It could be similar to Joey Benik from St. Francis (St. Cloud comitt), in which the kid has talent but his stats are inflated due to the competition. But this is all a guess, I really don't have a clue on the potential here.

He is a tall lanky kid with good hands, speed, and natural goal scoring ability. His team plays a rather weak schedule and I've heard he's not all that committed to the defensive side of the game. I would say he is very similar to someone like a Benik.

He is a tall lanky kid with good hands, speed, and natural goal scoring ability. His team plays a rather weak schedule and I've heard he's not all that committed to the defensive side of the game. I would say he is very similar to someone like a Benik.

54 PIM in 18 games!!! That is pretty high for a forward. I wonder if its a temper issue or an artifact of his focus on offense first......

There have been a few players to come out of DL and have decent WCHA careers, but I don't know of any recently that have received offers straight out of HS, most had to play in juniors for a bit.

WOW!! Can he get the points?! Tough to say how good a kid can be when they can only be judged against the competition they play. Be interesting to see where he has the chance to play. Thanks for the info.

54 PIM in 18 games!!! That is pretty high for a forward. I wonder if its a temper issue or an artifact of his focus on offense first......

There have been a few players to come out of DL and have decent WCHA careers, but I don't know of any recently that have received offers straight out of HS, most had to play in juniors for a bit.

He's also a junior.

Potulny has seen him at least once this year, so he's on the MN radar.

Saw him take a 10 minute misconduct for "talking back" (I'm assuming) in a critical 3rd period earlier this year. Their opponent tied the game with 3 goals while he was in the box watching. He came out to score the OT winner, which was his 3rd goal of the game.

PIM's likely are a maturity issue. That should get straightened out. Might see him move on to the USHL next year. Just my speculating, though.