SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Ok. Stop while your ahead. MacWilliam is a full year older than Olsen and there is a lot of development that can happen or will happen in the next 12 months. MacWilliam is actually more effective than I thought he would be, but please don't make him out to be the next coming. It also sounds like Olsen still needs to grow up a bit. Considering that he is a 91, I would expect that.

MacWilliam on the other hand is still very one dimensional and will never play in the NHL unless he improves his offensive skills. Coaches in the NHL want to see intelligent offensive plays from their D once in a while, even from their more defensively oriented ones. Just getting MacWilliam to release behind his own net for a D to D seems to be enough of a hurdle for him, never mind actually getting a shot off once in while in the O-zone. If this coaching staff is able to get MacWilliam to become part of the attack when it is appropriate then I will shut my mouth. Until then, I will just wait.

Have you watched any games this year? You aren't the one that was questioning why the Sioux would be interested in him coming out of juniors and are just trying to cover for that are you? No one is making him out to be the second coming, but he is far more advanced than anyone would have guessed at this juncture and is one of our most dependable defensemen. Dependable and freshman don't always go together well in the same sentence.

Have you watched any games this year? You aren't the one that was questioning why the Sioux would be interested in him coming out of juniors and are just trying to cover for that are you? No one is making him out to be the second coming, but he is far more advanced than anyone would have guessed at this juncture and is one of our most dependable defensemen. Dependable and freshman don't always go together well in the same sentence.

Yes I was the one that questioned his ability to play D1 hockey. And yes I have watched about half a dozen games. He still doesn't really want the puck and would rather hit someone than actually carry the puck. When the Sioux have possession or about to get possession in their own zone they are effectively a man short because he will not jump and make himself available for the outlet. Despite all that he has been quite effective as evidenced by his plus/minus. Go figure?

Will it eventually catch up to the Sioux? I'm not so sure it will. All I know is if I was coaching against him I would be dumping the puck into his partner's corner nearly each and every-time and then I would be forechecking the crap out of the Sioux because I know his D partner is not going to get the outlet support.

Can he play in the NHL with his current skill set? Not a chance, but he has roughly three years left to develop them.

I was just merely defending Olsen who is still a year younger and while not playing up to his potential this year, is still likely to wind up in the NHL. Olsen will be considered a defensive defenceman when and if he gets there and I can assure you his offensive skill set is at another level relative to MacWilliam. By the way, I'm not the only one on this planet that thinks that.

Yes I was the one that questioned his ability to play D1 hockey. And yes I have watched about half a dozen games. He still doesn't really want the puck and would rather hit someone than actually carry the puck. When the Sioux have possession or about to get possession in their own zone they are effectively a man short because he will not jump and make himself available for the outlet. Despite all that he has been quite effective as evidenced by his plus/minus. Go figure?

Will it eventually catch up to the Sioux? I'm not so sure it will. All I know is if I was coaching against him I would be dumping the puck into his partner's corner nearly each and every-time and then I would be forechecking the crap out of the Sioux because I know his D partner is not going to get the outlet support.

Can he play in the NHL with his current skill set? Not a chance, but he has roughly three years left to develop them.

I was just merely defending Olsen who is still a year younger and while not playing up to his potential this year, is still likely to wind up in the NHL. Olsen will be considered a defensive defenceman when and if he gets there and I can assure you his offensive skill set is at another level relative to MacWilliam. By the way, I'm not the only one on this planet that thinks that.

So you're saying Mac, who is a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN and expected to worry about his own end and not expected to put up points at this juncture, will never play in the NHL because he doesn't have any offensive skills, yet you say Olsen will be a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN in the NHL, likely also not expected to put up points and take care of his own end, because he has better offensive skills. Since when do defensive defenseman have concerns about providing offense? I find this to be an odd statement. Please elaborate.

So you're saying Mac, who is a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN and expected to worry about his own end and not expected to put up points at this juncture, will never play in the NHL because he doesn't have any offensive skills, yet you say Olsen will be a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN in the NHL, likely also not expected to put up points and take care of his own end, because he has better offensive skills. Since when do defensive defenseman have concerns about providing offense? I find this to be an odd statement. Please elaborate.

I think his point is that Olsen has better offensive skills, but that would only get him up to "defensive Dman" in the NHL, and Mac needs better puck skills to reach the NHL, even as a defensive Dman. That's a fair point, and I'm still pretty darn pleased with Mac's play as a freshman defenseman.

You haven't been watching as many games toward the end of the season then, because he is much more comfortable jumping into the play, indeed stickhandling around players in the offensive end than he was earlier in the season, which obviously makes sense. Traditionally, that has been the case with even defensemen that had the offensive label coming in. Derrick Lapoint learned the defensive end first, and it has served him well as he now jumps into the play much more often. Another example of that is none other than Ben Blood. In fact, with Blood doing much more rushing than he did last year, it kind of makes sense that MacWilliam needs to stay back and hold down the fort.

I know there has been a lot of speculation on this board that Kyle Rau will not go to a college without his brother. Well they may not be unique in their aspirations because here is an example of another brother combo with one being a very elite talent and another being considered below that level committing together: http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/03/dakot...mits-to-du.html

On a side note it would be a gigantic victory against the OHL if Dakota actually shows up on campus. He is a very big prospect and adds even more flare to Gwoz's already impressive recruit list. Maybe he did it to ensure his brother an education and than bolt to the OHL? Who knows, but I thought it was interesting since it proves brothers can play these games with colleges and succeed.

roseau getting worked by edina. 6-2 mid 3rd

6-3 edina 8 min left

I saw Omdahl was hurt in the 2nd and that really hurt Roseau, but I think Edina had too much speed for them. I don't know if Knochenmus or Omdahl have the size to play right away, I think both will have to play juniors to prove their selves a little more, but I think they will catch on somewhere.

Anyone know anything about A.J. Michaelson (soph) and Hudson Fasching (fresh) from Apple Valley both have good size and have looked pretty good against Blaine.

I saw Omdahl was hurt in the 2nd and that really hurt Roseau, but I think Edina had too much speed for them. I don't know if Knochenmus or Omdahl have the size to play right away, I think both will have to play juniors to prove their selves a little more, but I think they will catch on somewhere.

Anyone know anything about A.J. Michaelson (soph) and Hudson Fasching (fresh) from Apple Valley both have good size and have looked pretty good against Blaine.

Chris Dilks did a ranking of each class today for MN hockey. He does follow MN hockey pretty closely:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/20...ayers#storyjump

I see Lou Nanne's grandson is listed in the Freshmen class. I wonder if Lou will tell him to go to North Dakota like he did with Parise. :glare:

I heard Lou on a couple of years ago and said the only reason he didn't go to North Dakota was because he wanted to be a dentist, which is why he chose UM.

I see Lou Nanne's grandson is listed in the Freshmen class. I wonder if Lou will tell him to go to North Dakota like he did with Parise. :glare:

I heard Lou on a couple of years ago and said the only reason he didn't go to North Dakota was because he wanted to be a dentist, which is why he chose UM.

So I'm sitting there coaching against this team one day and I look over to the other bench and I notice a guy that looks like Lou Nanne. I say to the other coach, "hey doesn't that look like Lou Nanne" and he says "ya it does". Then we look for the Nanne name on the back of a jersey and sure enough we find a kid with that name. Turns out we were coaching against Lou Nanne's son's team and the grandson was playing.

Two things. His grandson is good but I wouldn't regard him as outstanding. He is, however, the grandson of a former NHLer and my guess is that he will continue to develop and remain dedicated to the game... so he should be someone I would keep my eyes on to see if he continues to progress and pass some of his current peer group.

Second side of the story. Nobody on our team with the exception of the coaches knew who Lou Nanne was. Despite that, he was a very nice man and very gracious when he came and spoke to us after the game.