SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

54 PIM in 18 games!!! That is pretty high for a forward. I wonder if its a temper issue or an artifact of his focus on offense first......

There have been a few players to come out of DL and have decent WCHA careers, but I don't know of any recently that have received offers straight out of HS, most had to play in juniors for a bit.

I've played against the kid and he does have problems controling himself, he is one of those players that can't take a hit without throwing a slash back which is a major reason for his penalty minutes.. He likes to talk a lot on the ice and thinks he should get all the calls and isn't afraid to let the refs know that. I know that Mankato has been looking at him for a while now as well. If this kid can learn not to retaliate to everything and improve on the mental aspect of the game he could be a good player.

I've played against the kid and he does have problems controling himself, he is one of those players that can't take a hit without throwing a slash back which is a major reason for his penalty minutes.. He likes to talk a lot on the ice and thinks he should get all the calls and isn't afraid to let the refs know that. I know that Mankato has been looking at him for a while now as well. If this kid can learn not to retaliate to everything and improve on the mental aspect of the game he could be a good player.

well he will fit right in with the Gophers...lol

He sounds like a proto typical Gophers hack.

So, if I remember correctly, there was one if not more recruits that were probably at the game last night and maybe Friday. How does the Sioux performance affect their decisions? How was the crowd? Was it vocal enough to impress? What might a kid think after seeing what transpired?

So, if I remember correctly, there was one if not more recruits that were probably at the game last night and maybe Friday. How does the Sioux performance affect their decisions? How was the crowd? Was it vocal enough to impress? What might a kid think after seeing what transpired?

His thought would be....what a great arena, look at all the fans and boy...these guys can't finish at the net. We were not sharp at all. Denver was the better team this weekend without a doubt in m opinion. Plus and maybe most importantly their goalie is a stud!

Also..heard Useldinger from EGF is getting looked at by St. Cloud and Mankato a little. They've shown up at a few games. Great for him!

Also..heard Useldinger from EGF is getting looked at by St. Cloud and Mankato a little. They've shown up at a few games. Great for him!

Thanks for the heads up. I imagine he's one of those "okay-we're-watching-you-now-impress-us" type of prospects. In other words, he'll have to prove himself in juniors before he gets an offer.

Speaking of types of prospects, I imagine you could file them into a handful of categories...

- Scholarship offer extended

- Walk-on offer extended

- Official visit (often comes AFTER commitment)

- Unofficial visit with invite

- Direct contact (if old enough)

- Indirect contact (if not old enough)

- Unofficial visit without invite

- Watching (Useldinger, second largest group of prospects)

- Mailing (cheap way to make kids think you're watching them, crazed hockey parents believe this is equivelant to being "recruited")

Thanks for the heads up. I imagine he's one of those "okay-we're-watching-you-now-impress-us" type of prospects. In other words, he'll have to prove himself in juniors before he gets an offer.

Speaking of types of prospects, I imagine you could file them into a handful of categories...

- Scholarship offer extended

- Walk-on offer extended

- Official visit (often comes AFTER commitment)

- Unofficial visit with invite

- Direct contact (if old enough)

- Indirect contact (if not old enough)

- Unofficial visit without invite

- Watching (Useldinger, second largest group of prospects)

- Mailing (cheap way to make kids think you're watching them, crazed hockey parents believe this is equivelant to being "recruited")

I'm not sure where he'll fall into. His issue will be weight. He's lanky but needs to eat allot of meat then lift weight's to put that into muscle. I like the fact that a local boy is getting at least a look. I don't understand how the local GF (EGF) kids don't do much after hs? Maybe it's the games or playing against Williston and other non hockey teams. However, I've noticed that GF is now doing more MN tournaments. I hope SCSU or Mankota get him and he actually plays.

I'm not sure where he'll fall into. His issue will be weight. He's lanky but needs to eat allot of meat then lift weight's to put that into muscle. I like the fact that a local boy is getting at least a look. I don't understand how the local GF (EGF) kids don't do much after hs? Maybe it's the games or playing against Williston and other non hockey teams. However, I've noticed that GF is now doing more MN tournaments. I hope SCSU or Mankota get him and he actually plays.

The GF schools have played tournaments in the past in MN, as both Roseau and Warroad were holiday tourney hosts of GF schools in the early 90's. Not sure about more recently. Maybe they got away from that.

There has been a recent slow-down for GF recruits, but that should pick up again in the next couple years with some young GFC kids getting the opportunity to play at the next level.

maybe you don't follow ndhs hockey, or maybe you have been instilled with the east side superiority to go along with your ignorance, or maybe you just spew what pops into that head of yours... reguardless, there are many falcities in your elequently stated post. first, as to the gf or other nd kids not doing anything after hs... have you been to a sioux game this season? arguably our best and most consistent player all season hails from grand forks, and robbie bina is now playing in a european pro league after a wonderful college career. i could go on, but wont, you have the internet, you could check on it if so inclined. north dakota hs hockey is not mn hs hockey, never has been and never will be, but don't bang on the entire league (other than gf of course) because your most formidable skill is posting incorrect statements on message boards. and a quick fyi... im not sure how many times any gf team has played williston (other than the state tourney) in the past decade, but its not many if any at all. oh, and williston is in first in the west, with the states leading scorer (and most likely the best player, and most likely to succeed at the college level), and 3 in the top 11... more than red river or central. also i believe williston has made state the past 5 years or so, so im sure you could have chosen a patsy from the east to rag on, or is that not kosher? so i anxiously await your well though out response to this :D if you are going to spit out idiotic statements, you should do some fact checking first. end rant.

maybe you don't follow ndhs hockey, or maybe you have been instilled with the east side superiority to go along with your ignorance, or maybe you just spew what pops into that head of yours... reguardless, there are many falcities in your elequently stated post. first, as to the gf or other nd kids not doing anything after hs... have you been to a sioux game this season? arguably our best and most consistent player all season hails from grand forks, and robbie bina is now playing in a european pro league after a wonderful college career. i could go on, but wont, you have the internet, you could check on it if so inclined. north dakota hs hockey is not mn hs hockey, never has been and never will be, but don't bang on the entire league (other than gf of course) because your most formidable skill is posting incorrect statements on message boards. and a quick fyi... im not sure how many times any gf team has played williston (other than the state tourney) in the past decade, but its not many if any at all. oh, and williston is in first in the west, with the states leading scorer (and most likely the best player, and most likely to succeed at the college level), and 3 in the top 11... more than red river or central. also i believe williston has made state the past 5 years or so, so im sure you could have chosen a patsy from the east to rag on, or is that not kosher? so i anxiously await your well though out response to this :D if you are going to spit out idiotic statements, you should do some fact checking first. end rant.

Did your teacher just let you out of class after detention? You are imature and as an fyi...I have friends with kids on all 3 hs teams around here and Williston was an example. Now...go back and finish your homework. If I recall were you the one spewing after Grafton won state?

I know for Central there are a number of kids that might get looks, Casey Purpur, Justin Moody, Luke Johnson, Seth Lang, Paul LaDue, Danny Ray etc. I am sure I missed a few but these were the ones that I could remember off the top of my head.

I know for Central there are a number of kids that might get looks, Casey Purpur, Justin Moody, Luke Johnson, Seth Lang, Paul LaDue, Danny Ray etc. I am sure I missed a few but these were the ones that I could remember off the top of my head.

Ray had an offer to play USHL in Omaha (I think it was Omaha) but chose to come back to win it all and get this....golf. The kid in an awesome golfer for Central and that could actually be his ticket to higher things. He'll be top 10 this year in state.

Did your teacher just let you out of class after detention? You are imature and as an fyi...I have friends with kids on all 3 hs teams around here and Williston was an example. Now...go back and finish your homework. If I recall were you the one spewing after Grafton won state?

i am long past school and done for the day so sorry to dissappoint, but no homework to finish :D but about the response i expected based on your original post. i don't believe i have ever posted about grafton or anyone winning state for that matter, so i think you're barking up the wrong tree there. not sure i asked if you knew anyone who had kids on area teams, so not sure what the relevence is there?? does that mean you are an expert on all things high school hockey, thus validating your original post? if you didn't want someone responding to your post, you shouldn't have posted it. i was responding and setting some of your misinformation straight, sorry if that got your panites in a bunch, but i stick to my statement.

Ray had an offer to play USHL in Omaha (I think it was Omaha) but chose to come back to win it all and get this....golf. The kid in an awesome golfer for Central and that could actually be his ticket to higher things. He'll be top 10 this year in state.

Justin Moody is a really good golfer as well for Central.

Justin Moody is a really good golfer as well for Central.

Yes, he is along with O'keefe and Kennedy who might play varsity hockey in a year or two. As for my previous post it doesn't seem to many kids from GF move on to the next level. We may have Lammy and a Bina here or there but it would be nice to see more boys play at a higher level. That was my thought with the Useldinger comment.

I am, but not the NE Pats. The school I teach at are the Patriots. Sorry.

I still like your signia....means Go Pats!! Are you in MA? Wondering because we're doing a project out there and last year was the first time in that area. Lots to like about it. Even took my son with me on one trip and drove to the new Yankee stadium vs. the Bo Sox. Fun time!

Hey Sodbuster....are you a Pats fan? Do you live in Boston or just like the Pats? I'm a Pats fan myself along with the Red Sox but sorry Goon not the Bruins.

Based on how the bruins have played this season, I am losing interest as well.

I still like your signia....means Go Pats!! Are you in MA? Wondering because we're doing a project out there and last year was the first time in that area. Lots to like about it. Even took my son with me on one trip and drove to the new Yankee stadium vs. the Bo Sox. Fun time!

Nope, I'm in good old ND. Spent a week in Boston 20 years ago. Loved the city and area. So much history. Saw Red Sox/Twins game. (Twins won in 10)