SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown. 10/26/24

SiouxFan100

Another must win. Youngstown has been in all their fcs games except being routed by sdsu. They played South Dakota tough.

We must win road games and this should be a good test.

Hoping for a good showing. looks like a 5:00 start on Midco

Youngstown State University Logo
5 p.m.
Football at Youngstown State
Youngstown, Ohio

• Upvote 1

This maybe a one score game, dependent on offensive efficiency and if we can get YSU off the field. Their style is similar to ours when relating to time of possession. I think they are one of the leaders in FCS. If we can get up early we should win, if down early not sure how many possessions we get if they control the ball. 

One good thing is this is their 3rd straight top 10 game and they may have some players not at a 100 percent. 

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Time to quiet the nay-sayers. 

Put up or shut up. 

Honestly, need to create consistent toughness on the road, so this one game @ Youngstown won’t do that, but it could be the start. The very next week @ Indiana State is just as important. Bubba can’t motivate his team to play consistent tough, disciplined, confident football on the road (up to this point) and it has completely altered his record and how he is perceived among those in the know. 

Need to change that. As you say, put up or shut up. A simple but fair rule to judge this is this: if Youngstown State, Indiana State and Illinois State were playing at Grand Forks in the Alerus Center, would we expect UND to win? Of course - so start traveling with that capability on the damn road. 

• Upvote 4

Going into the UNI game I felt after getting pummeled by SU and then having a Bye week, I felt we'd come out and play well against UNI and we did. 

This week going on the road against a decent, but not great team...and technically it's not a must win game... it just feels like in the past several years this is the type of game we lose. There was talk after the first few games how.....this Team just feels different.  We'll see if this is true and we can buck our recent trend in this type of game. 

By technically not a must win game, I just mean we could still beat one of the South Dakotas and end up 8-4. In a sense this is a must win game, more just that our backs aren't up against the wall right now. We lose this game though,  and we are backed up against the wall. Need to win the games we should win, and we haven't always done that...especially on the road. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Going into the UNI game I felt after getting pummeled by SU and then having a Bye week, I felt we'd come out and play well against UNI and we did. 

This week going on the road against a decent, but not great team...and technically it's not a must win game... it just feels like in the past several years this is the type of game we lose. There was talk after the first few games how.....this Team just feels different.  We'll see if this is true and we can buck our recent trend in this type of game. 

By technically not a must win game, I just mean we could still beat one of the South Dakotas and end up 8-4. In a sense this is a must win game, more just that our backs aren't up against the wall right now. We lose this game though,  and we are backed up against the wall. Need to win the games we should win, and we haven't always done that...especially on the road. 

In my mind to take a step in the right direction this team can only have 3 loses on the year.   A 4th lose would feel like the same old same old.  Although not a must win, to only have 3 loses and hopefully a 1st round bye we need to win the next 2 games as the last 3 games will be tough.

• Upvote 3

Hey, I have a question on what defines the spot of the ball when a player is tackled. 

1) I always thought that the ball is marked at the point were the ball is at when the knee touches the ground.

or

2) The ball is marked were the knee touches the ground.

I always thought that it was option one.  But, based on the overturned first down in the 2nd Q.  They had the ball closer to the knee.

9 hours ago, FSSD said:

Hey, I have a question on what defines the spot of the ball when a player is tackled. 

1) I always thought that the ball is marked at the point were the ball is at when the knee touches the ground.

or

I always thought that it was option one.  But, based on the overturned first down in the 2nd Q.  They had the ball closer to the knee.

I believe #1 is correct, and I also was surprised by overturned first down call. 

10 hours ago, FSSD said:

or

I think #1 is correct.  One thing they do now is spot the ball on the closest yard marker for first downs if it doesn't make a difference.  Cuts way down on measurements.  

might have been that they decided he was a foot short but on the change of possession moved the ball back to the full yard mark.  guessing here

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I believe #1 is correct, and I also was surprised by overturned first down call. 

I'm curious at what angle the replay officials had that showed anything, as the replays on TV gave no indication that it would be overturned as you couldn't tell anything.  Haven't really heard any complaining anywhere so I'm guessing they got the call right, but I would have loved to see the replay that showed it.

• Upvote 2

Let's look at the Trusty numbers.

Rushing yards given up by YSU defense in last 5 games - 

295 vrs Pitt (total yards of 644)  Now Pitt is pretty good FBS but that's a lot of yards.

141 vrs Mo State. (but gave up over 300 passing yards)

135 vrs Indiana State

405 vrs Jacks!!

213 vrs Coyotes

I project that UND will be able to rush for 200+ on the ground and that makes this a winnable game. 

A big challenge for YSU is they are coming off the Jacks, Coyotes, then the F'n Hawks in consecutive weeks.  That's not an easy stretch of games if we show up.  YSU has 2 wins, Valpo and Indiana State.  A loss at YSU is about as devastating as it can get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Let's look at the Trusty numbers.

Rushing yards given up by YSU defense in last 5 games - 

295 vrs Pitt (total yards of 644)  Now Pitt is pretty good FBS but that's a lot of yards.

141 vrs Mo State. (but gave up over 300 passing yards)

135 vrs Indiana State

405 vrs Jacks!!

213 vrs Coyotes

I project that UND will be able to rush for 200+ on the ground and that makes this a winnable game. 

A big challenge for YSU is they are coming off the Jacks, Coyotes, then the F'n Hawks in consecutive weeks.  That's not an easy stretch of games if we show up.  YSU has 2 wins, Valpo and Indiana State.  A loss at YSU is about as devastating as it can get.

Can't underestimate them. Might have to be a bring your own energy type of game. Defense will be tested with a dual threat QB, strong rushing attack, and pretty good offensive line. They've also got one of the better WRs in the MVFC in Tomczak.