SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

My biggest issues with yesterday: 

Why run the ball on 3rd and 9 in four down territory only to punt for a touchback? 

Why not throw a Hail Mary at the half?

just sends a horrible message to the players from the HC.. 

IMO Romfo played about the same as Tommy did against FBS opponents despite it being his first game and this year’s Iowa State probably being the best FBS opponent UND has faced. I think the deep balls will come, just seemed like the few times they did try them, the DL had pressure or the coverage was good. 

defense played much better than I thought, but will have a very tough challenge this Saturday and will need to clean up some things at in the secondary and get any sort of pressure on the QB. The Griz have a ton of weapons, not just Bergen. Their defense plays fast, but UNDs running back room should be able to run on them.

Beat the Griz! 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

My biggest issues with yesterday: 

Why run the ball on 3rd and 9 in four down territory only to punt for a touchback? 

Why not throw a Hail Mary at the half?

just sends a horrible message to the players from the HC.. 

IMO Romfo played about the same as Tommy did against FBS opponents despite it being his first game and this year’s Iowa State probably being the best FBS opponent UND has faced. I think the deep balls will come, just seemed like the few times they did try them, the DL had pressure or the coverage was good. 

defense played much better than I thought, but will have a very tough challenge this Saturday and will need to clean up some things at in the secondary and get any sort of pressure on the QB. The Griz have a ton of weapons, not just Bergen. Their defense plays fast, but UNDs running back room should be able to run on them.

Beat the Griz! 

Completely agree. When your game management decisions are conservative and illogical, it sends a message to your players that you’re playing for a moral victory. Been an issue in every single big game that Bubba’s teams play in. So hard to support UND football hardcore with Bubba’s petty leadership. You just simply can’t have grand expectations for this football program until there’s change, and some don’t want to (or can’t) wait forever. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

There were some positives out of yesterday’s game …no doubt .. but the most obvious, glaring negative is without a doubt …bubba.  He holds the team back time and time again.  After a decade of witnessing his sideline demeanor and the results I have come to the conclusion that he is so wrapped with in game fear he doesn't have the capability of making rational decisions.  Because it’s every game …namely big games…and the results are perennially the same.  Feel bad for the players.   It looks like the team wanted to win but bubba constantly put the  brakes on.   Take chances !!! Show confidence !!! Show some balls !!  Yesterday your team was a 28 point dog !  Not like anyone expected you to win.  You show your best when you brought out the punter at the 38 yard line. What was the thinking there ?  If we punt we might in iowa st 5-10 yards from our scrimmage line?  Well the  punter decides to send it to the top row.   Great call ? Then you had the team walk to the locker room with a chance for a Hail Mary before the half with a TO in the pocket and with a chance for an td or pass interference which maybe could of resulted in a fg opportunity. Nope !  Tail between the knees.   Complete wimp out.  4th qtr .  Sending the kicker out for some FGs instead of TDs.  Lol.  It’s Iowa st (p5) at home with the most experienced returning D1 team in the nation.  Fgs ??   Fgs??   Hell…if you didn’t succeed at any of them it at least shows your interested in winning .  But nope !   You continually show the people why you should never be a HC.  How about showing  confidence in your players!  How about showing some balls so the players feel like they matter .  Can almost guarantee that every veteran player yesterday knew exactly what bubba was going to call before he called it.  As deflating it is for us fans I couldn’t imagine being a player. 

year after year 

year after year 

year after year ……same BS 

...but, remember,  the "chart" tells him what to do... 

14 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

There were some positives out of yesterday’s game …no doubt .. but the most obvious, glaring negative is without a doubt …bubba.  He holds the team back time and time again.  After a decade of witnessing his sideline demeanor and the results I have come to the conclusion that he is so wrapped with in game fear he doesn't have the capability of making rational decisions.  Because it’s every game …namely big games…and the results are perennially the same.  Feel bad for the players.   It looks like the team wanted to win but bubba constantly put the  brakes on.   Take chances !!! Show confidence !!! Show some balls !!  Yesterday your team was a 28 point dog !  Not like anyone expected you to win.  You show your best when you brought out the punter at the 38 yard line. What was the thinking there ?  If we punt we might in iowa st 5-10 yards from our scrimmage line?  Well the  punter decides to send it to the top row.   Great call ? Then you had the team walk to the locker room with a chance for a Hail Mary before the half with a TO in the pocket and with a chance for an td or pass interference which maybe could of resulted in a fg opportunity. Nope !  Tail between the knees.   Complete wimp out.  4th qtr .  Sending the kicker out for some FGs instead of TDs.  Lol.  It’s Iowa st (p5) at home with the most experienced returning D1 team in the nation.  Fgs ??   Fgs??   Hell…if you didn’t succeed at any of them it at least shows your interested in winning .  But nope !   You continually show the people why you should never be a HC.  How about showing  confidence in your players!  How about showing some balls so the players feel like they matter .  Can almost guarantee that every veteran player yesterday knew exactly what bubba was going to call before he called it.  As deflating it is for us fans I couldn’t imagine being a player. 

year after year 

year after year 

Agree completely. Yet we’ve got people around the program (and unfortunately some of them in decision-making capacity) more interested in advancing the individual interests of Bubba (and extending him) rather than doing what’s best for the numerous student-athletes and alumni. Ridiculous. Bubba should run for political office with this level of corruption and self-interest …

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

15 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

year after year 

year after year 

I find it stunning that this has not been addressed by anyone in the Athletic Department.  Clearly a determent to the program.  Bubba is hardwired to do this but it seems like everyone else is just going along including the AD.  Bubba's in game coaching has bitten us many times.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agree completely. Yet we’ve got people around the program (and unfortunately some of them in decision-making capacity) more interested in advancing the individual interests of Bubba (and extending him) rather than doing what’s best for the numerous student-athletes and alumni. Ridiculous. Bubba should run for political office with this level of corruption and self-interest …

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@SIOUX29 @SooToo

The truth hurts … I understand the personal connections are present and make it hard. 

I’d be curious to hear about your proof of corruption. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, homer said:

I’d be curious to hear about your proof of corruption. 

It was hyperbole to get across a point; I’m not making actual corruption claims, but I think there’s plenty of evidence to suggest Bubba is not a good to great division I head football coach and UND could do better. Furthermore, ongoing extensions for the status quo have been beyond frustrating for those who care about winning. Regardless, no way Bubba Schweigert is terminated; he’ll be allowed to leave on his own terms (unfortunately). For the sake of UND football, hopefully it is soon.

• Upvote 1

the probable reason why bubba didn't go for the hail mary is that romfo couldn't throw it that far and he would have had to put in jerry and what happens if his laser beam resulted in a td on his first collegiate throw?

is kosititch still employed?  if so what the f is bubba waiting for....that was embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sometimes i wonder what bubba and the crew does in practice....take the missed td throw.....that play was essentially designed for nate from presnap......nate did his job and turned the guy in...once romfo sees that the ball should have already left his hand...huge drop radius for the easiest (and i think his first) td in nates life but the ball lands in the first row ....how does that happen.....year after year...

against nebraska it was tommy and danny and bubbaa

against ia state it was sion and fruchte and bubba

what's the common denominiotor?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the probable reason why bubba didn't go for the hail mary is that romfo couldn't throw it that far and he would have had to put in jerry and what happens if his laser beam resulted in a td on his first collegiate throw?

is kosititch still employed?  if so what the f is bubba waiting for....that was embarrassing.

So trying to win takes a backseat to "appearances"?

Sounds about right. :angry:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@SIOUX29 @SooToo

The truth hurts … I understand the personal connections are present and make it hard. 

LOL. You understand nothing of the kind.

And "corruption" isn't exaggeration or hyperbole; it's an accusation. Maybe try being a bit more careful with the bs you're throwing against the wall.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Why do people want Kostich fired 

The kicker fumbled the snap, kicked a kickoff out of bounds and missed a field goal

thats on the kicker

i don't think Kostich told him to do those  things 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It was hyperbole to get across a point; I’m not making actual corruption claims, but I think there’s plenty of evidence to suggest Bubba is not a good to great division I head football coach and UND could do better. Furthermore, ongoing extensions for the status quo have been beyond frustrating for those who care about winning. Regardless, no way Bubba Schweigert is terminated; he’ll be allowed to leave on his own terms (unfortunately). For the sake of UND football, hopefully it is soon.

Ok.  It sure sounded like you had proof of corruption within the athletic dept. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SooToo said:

LOL. You understand nothing of the kind.

And "corruption" isn't exaggeration or hyperbole; it's an accusation. Maybe try being a bit more careful with the bs you're throwing against the wall.

I’m good. My opinion is clear. You may not like it, but I’m not going to be threatened by “accusation” rebuttals. Plenty are sick and tired of Bubba’s hollow leadership, so embrace it and come to terms with reality. Oh, and stop throwing accusation threats against the wall. 

42 minutes ago, homer said:

Ok.  It sure sounded like you had proof of corruption within the athletic dept. 

Even if I did, sharing that anonymously on a message board would solve what exactly? No motive to do that whatsoever, unless it would lead to instant solutions via fallout. 

2 hours ago, Kab said:

The kicker fumbled the snap, kicked a kickoff out of bounds and missed a field goal

thats on the kicker

Who recruited the kicker

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We will learn more about this team by watching how they play against Montana than how they played against Iowa St.

what about the coaches and their time management and decision makings...is that gonna change?

we are what we think they are.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kab said:

thats on the kicker

Agreed these individual incidents are on the player - however the special teams coach is in charge of recruiting and coaching his players and so in a way responsible for how they perform.  His recruits, his coaching.