SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Non-UND FCS Thread

The Sicatoka

3 hours ago, zonadub said:

WOW! Only 2 teams not from either the MVFC or Big Sky.

10. Central Arkansas

9. Sacramento State

8. Southern Illinois

7. Idaho

6. Villanova 

5. South Dakota

4. Montana State

3. Montana

2. North Dakota State

1. South Dakota State

Not sure what to make of this. SIU? 

57 minutes ago, Goon said:

10. Central Arkansas

9. Sacramento State

8. Southern Illinois

7. Idaho

6. Villanova 

5. South Dakota

4. Montana State

3. Montana

2. North Dakota State

1. South Dakota State

Not sure what to make of this. SIU? 

SIU might be the new UNI? Big, fast athletes that look like dudes....and knock off FBS teams therefore get a high ranking....but can't put it all together for a full season. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Larson's theory has been around for a long time, and it looks like it's more than possible. My question is, what are the theories around what's considered the "upper echelon" of the FCS? Would it be current G5 conferences inviting a handful of FCS programs? Current FCS conferences moving up (ex: MVFC & Big Sky)? New FBS conference forming (Top of MVFC & Big Sky)? 

So does the Missouri Valley try to grab one of Oral Roberts, Omaha, or Kansas City? If one leaves, maybe there is something to the UNC and Utah school rumors, with the Summit creating a Mountain Time Zone block, that would give you two broadcast windows and more content, but also more schools splitting the pie.  UNC and S. Utah would give 6 Summit football schools even without St. Thomas, giving them some time to ramp up.  In the current environment, FBS makes no sense and would be creating a further money pit. 

2 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

So does the Missouri Valley try to grab one of Oral Roberts, Omaha, or Kansas City? If one leaves, maybe there is something to the UNC and Utah school rumors, with the Summit creating a Mountain Time Zone block, that would give you two broadcast windows and more content, but also more schools splitting the pie.  UNC and S. Utah would give 6 Summit football schools even without St. Thomas, giving them some time to ramp up.  In the current environment, FBS makes no sense and would be creating a further money pit. 

The rumor is Northern Colorado right now joining both the Summit and MVFC

15 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Based on a comment or two it appears that some in the Big Sky would like to show UNC the door (like they felt about UND). 

15 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

What an exciting addition that would be …

People can talk crap about Missouri State all they want, but in my opinion that program and location is superior to Northern Colorado and Greeley. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Why not add St Thomas?

they are taking baby steps.....moving from d3 to d1 is a process.......getting their basketball/hockey facility finished is top priority...they can park football in pioneer for as long as they want.

The above article was written by Tanner Castora and needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  He used to work as a sports reporter for KELO TV, a Sioux Falls station, and was a decent at his job, but in my red colored glasses view was too much of a SDSU fan boy.  I saw several pictures on social media of him hanging out with a lot of the SDSU FB team.  He was fired by KELO right before the FCS championship game in January, 2023, with no explanation ever disclosed to the public.  My speculation was that he crossed the line between being a reporter and a fan boy. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting read.

A peek behind the curtains of how and why Mark Gronowski stuck with the Jackrabbits

The 2024 Jackrabbits will look to climb to heights few have ever seen. Only three programs— NDSU, Appalachian State and Minnesota — have ever won three consecutive national championships in Division I college football; and South Dakota State has plans to become the fourth.

With trips to Cedar Falls, Fargo and Grand Forks on the schedule, it certainly won’t be easy.

But with Captain 11 back in the saddle, you’d be a fool to bet against the boys from Brookings.

21 hours ago, UND1983 said:

The Summit/MVFC is full of these guys.  They work for the local paper-radio so are considered professional journalists yet are openly cheering for their teams, buddy buddy with the players on social media etc.  Miller doesn't do anything close to that - straight reporting.  

Miller has a lot of personal and professional integrity in my book. It seems to be a thing of the past in most media circles now.

I recently attended a very high profile event in St. Paul. I read several newspaper accounts of the event. Was I even at the same event as those reporters? Just a sign of the times….

• Upvote 2