SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Frozen Four

Dustin

Five All-Americans and BC can’t get it done.  Those always impressed by the high end talent and the thinking that they were practically unbeatable should learn a bit from history.  It is becoming more evident though that the culture that Berry dislikes > the culture that has produced year after year of early tournament losses. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The fact that Denver won- I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.  But Kudos to them.  After we swept them they got their sh!t together and never looked back.  Hoping we can do that again sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Irish said:

Once again Denver gets it done while we sit and watch - with a team that could beat them.  We hear nothing from our hockey program but Bubbs needs to seriously figure it out and get it done.  Are their any changes made?

Carle is a class-act, actually glad they shoved all that hubris down BC's throat. BC maybe thought they could just show up & their talent would dominate DU. 

Berry could learn a lot from watching how Carle handles these high-pressure situations. My main concern is that he will keep sticking with his same philosophy; inputting the same broken formulae & expecting different results. It's rare for an old dog pushing 60 to overhaul how he views the game, but who knows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

Five All-Americans and BC can’t get it done.  Those always impressed by the high end talent and the thinking that they were practically unbeatable should learn a bit from history.  It is becoming more evident though that the culture that Berry dislikes > the culture that has produced year after year of early tournament losses. 

What culture does Berry dislike?

10 minutes ago, .357 said:

Not sure because Mr. Flameout 2024 isn't saying much.  I like a culture that shows up for big games - not one who takes 10 minutes off in the third of a playoff game.  Hard to say with Berry (who mentions culture every time he has a chance to) - time to look at some cultures that show up in the playoffs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, .357 said:

Hennessy has always said while they respect Denver, they do not like Denver’s way of going about things, which could simply be on ice behavior or other behind the scenes stuff.  To me, how is holding up your sticks skating by the bench after you score a goal any different than the little Chelsea Dagger hand motions UND does, or some of the one off celebrations from guys like Blake or Johannes.  
   Whatever the petty differences, they might need to copy Denver’s recruiting philosophy of getting guys that are used to winning and know what it’s like in big game situations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hennessy has always said while they respect Denver, they do not like Denver’s way of going about things, which could simply be on ice behavior or other behind the scenes stuff.  To me, how is holding up your sticks skating by the bench after you score a goal any different than the little Chelsea Dagger hand motions UND does, or some of the one off celebrations from guys like Blake or Johannes.  
   Whatever the petty differences, they might need to copy Denver’s recruiting philosophy of getting guys that are used to winning and know what it’s like in big game situations.

Some our celes lately have been over the top. Not sure if our cele in the second period against Michigan was the best decision. Also, tossing the twig into the stands at CC two seasons ago in overtime was not in good taste either. Credit CC for not returning the favor at the Ralph this year. Crap like that should be reigned in by the coaches.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Some our celes lately have been over the top. Not sure if our cele in the second period against Michigan was the best decision. Also, tossing the twig into the stands at CC two seasons ago in overtime was not in good taste either. Credit CC for not returning the favor at the Ralph this year. Crap like that should be reigned in by the coaches.

I get that celebrations are part of what to expect now because it has been such a part of the lower levels of hockey, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.  Personally when we talk about culture, I think that could be reigned in a bit and not have over the top celebrations on every goal.
   I much preferred Blake’s overtime winner where he didn’t celebrate at all because he was mad it came to that.  Bottom line is act like you’ve been there before and save the huge celebrations for big time games.  

• Upvote 1

You know, three championships in 7 years is pretty damn good and Carle has the formula on winning. 

You can b**** all we want about Berry,  But as everybody has pointed out he ain't going to change his philosophy. Give credit to the pioneers today.

1 hour ago, neoflex said:

Glad the nchc holds the title again, I just hate that it's Denver. Got to give it to them and their coach - all they seem to do is win national titles.

Curious to know if you were cheering for Denver to win?  Wondering if the conference alliance is more important than a rival winning a championship.

4 minutes ago, hockey1 said:

Curious to know if you were cheering for Denver to win?  Wondering if the conference alliance is more important than a rival winning a championship.

We cheered for Denver tonight. They were in the big dance, they represented the NCHC. Wasn’t going to cheer for BC. It was very entertaining game and the DU fans were grateful for the support. 

2 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

You have to be so wildly lucky to win this tourney. Riding a 98 save percentage and winning 3 out of 4 by 1 goal is crazy to think about. 

Of course it helps if you recruit goaltenders like Chrona and Davis that have potential to play lights out for 4 games.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

You have to be so wildly lucky to win this tourney. Riding a 98 save percentage and winning 3 out of 4 by 1 goal is crazy to think about. 

By lucky you must mean "show up for the 3rd period" - so according to this thread Denver is the luckiest team ever and we are the unluckiest.  Nonsense

• Upvote 1