SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Three incoming freshmen are playing in the World Junior Summer Showcase right now.
Swanson (1st line center) and Emery (2nd D pairing) are on Team USA White and Strathmann (3rd D pairing) is on Team USA Blue.

Both Swanson and Strathmann were getting PP time.  Swanson got an assist on Day 1.

• Upvote 2

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12764576-world-junior-summer-showcase-team-usa-player-evaluations-defense-goalies

Chris Peters posted his thoughts after the WJ Summer Showcase.  Emery and Strathmann were there:

EJ Emery, RHD (NYR)

Emery had a shaky first few days, but settled in. At his best, he is a high-end stopper who can defend the rush and kill plays. Defensively, there’s really no doubt about what he can do with his size and skating ability. He can stand to get stronger, but that's going to be true of most players his age. The offensive elements of his game still have a ways to go, but once he unlocks that, he has star potential. While there are few locks to make this U.S. blue line, I would put Emery in the "likely" category for inclusion on the roster.

Andrew Strathmann, LHD (CBJ)

Strathmann seemed to have some trouble this week. He got a chance on the power play to showcase himself and it wasn’t overly effective. Without providing much offense and having trouble in his own end, it’s hard to see a path for him to make the team. He’s going to be transitioning to college hockey this year and it should be interesting to see how quickly he gets into the mix in North Dakota to give himself a chance.

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12764576-world-junior-summer-showcase-team-usa-player-evaluations-defense-goalies

Chris Peters posted his thoughts after the WJ Summer Showcase.  Emery and Strathmann were there:

Swanson too, he posted the F article 30 or so before. Sounds like Emery may be our only chance at representation barring a huge first half. Swanson was getting tons of PP looks but it appears it just wasn’t clicking. Quick event; he would have a chance next year too. Onto the season. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Swanson too, he posted the F article 30 or so before. Sounds like Emery may be our only chance at representation barring a huge first half. Swanson was getting tons of PP looks but it appears it just wasn’t clicking. Quick event; he would have a chance next year too. Onto the season. 

Nice, didn't see the Forwards article until later.
Yeah, Emery prob our only bet this year for the WJC team.

Mac Swanson, C (PIT)

Swanson showed why he was a top player in the USHL this year. He made effective plays, played competitively and showed good work ethic. The size situation with him will always be part of the discussion and I think USA has enough players that do what Swanson does at a similar or better level and also come with a bigger frame and a bit more versatility. Swanson will still be monitored at North Dakota, but I don’t know that he has a path to making USA’s roster. Not this year, at least.

OK, so Swanson per UND's roster is 5'8" and 175 (see also Jayden Perron). How's he use it? 

I say that because I've seen big dudes ( cough - Kunz - cough ) not use their size as an advantage, or at least take time to learn how to. 

"Sparky" wasn't big but he seemed to be the one coming off the boards with the puck always. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, so Swanson per UND's roster is 5'8" and 175 (see also Jayden Perron). How's he use it? 

I say that because I've seen big dudes ( cough - Kunz - cough ) not use their size as an advantage, or at least take time to learn how to. 

"Sparky" wasn't big but he seemed to be the one coming off the boards with the puck always. 

From what I’ve gathered…Swanson either isn’t an elite skater or he’s not a burner. Supposedly his shot isn’t plus either. So while his vision is elite, he’s supposedly minus in a couple other key areas. The smaller players that get drafted early typically are trigger men (I.e Caufield, DeBrincat) and/or they absolutely fly.

• Upvote 1

I run "linear density" also (lbs/in). It's a measure of thickness but has no real meaning.

Kunz is the big man here (3.09) followed by MacDonald (2.99)
Someone get EJ (2.29) and Sacha (2.38) a sandwich.

Part of this is training; part of this is the difference between 18 y/o male and 22 y/o male (think: testosterone). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Based on the online roster this team (average) is 2 inches and 6 pounds bigger than just two seasons ago. 

5'11" is now 6'1"
187 is now 193

What is the median height and weight?  

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Nice, didn't see the Forwards article until later.
Yeah, Emery prob our only bet this year for the WJC team.

Reading some of the reviews our guys have had at these types of camps/games over the summer, reminds me how big of a transition it can be jumping to the next level of competition. Reading strathmann struggled, Emery eventually did well after a slow start, and Swanson was decent enough all tempers some of the expectations I may have had going into the season.

We play a really tough non conference schedule in the first month and can’t get buried in the pairwise too early  as we also have a brutal conference schedule ahead of us. Duluth will be notably better this year, we see Denver twice, and we only get the cellar dwellers of Miami once.

I’m not trying to put the cart ahead of the horse, but these boys need to grow up really fast. Blake played a role in 40% of our goals last year between goals/assists; and 34% of our goals are gone from Blake Gaber, and Johannes. 
I think we have good depth at forward and definitely expect offensive jumps from Perron, James, and Kunz (assuming he plays a bigger role most of the year). Adding in Wilkie will be solid but it’s unlikely he is a PPG guy in the NCHC like he was out East.

With a very young d corps and some learning curves to expect, I hope we aren’t trying to play catch up in the 2nd half in a conference schedule that could eat us alive.

That being said, I think having Simmer in the mix makes a huge difference for the defense and I’m not going Chicken Little on the season 2 months before it starts. I’m just reminding myself to not get my hopes too high. This team could be decent or very good this year and it is one season away from being scary good as this team ages up with our stellar freshman class coming in this fall. 

sorry for the TL;DR opportunity here

61 days :D

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Nice to have them back on the schedule. Someone wanting an outdoor game at Target Field in 26 or 28.

Great to have Goldy back in the mix.  BTW, What kind of effed up Hawk logo is that?:huh:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

A source tells me that LJV was at the airport for a photoshoot with his jersey, and it happened to have the letter C on it :whistling:

This would be the least shocking development of the off-season lol.

3 hours ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

A source tells me that LJV was at the airport for a photoshoot with his jersey, and it happened to have the letter C on it :whistling:

:love:

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This would be the least shocking development of the off-season lol.

Ha!  Certainly wouldn't be surprising. 
Deserving captain.

Captain Jammer leading us to the promised land...here we go.

9 hours ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Open secret since spring. 

Who earns an A is what has me guessing.