SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, AJS said:

His SV % that year was .935. Maybe it’s just a feeling. I felt they could win it all with him. I felt the same with Scheel. I don’t believe Persson could.

I’m not high on Persson either. Just saying UND won with a goalie who was remarkably inconsistent.  Scheel, on the other hand, extremely consistent. 

5 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Do we know non conference opponents for next year?

In 2024-25, UND will have two-game home series against Robert Morris and Boston University. It will take on Minnesota State-Mankato and Cornell in two-game road series. The Fighting Hawks will host Providence in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game, and they'll play a two-game series against Bemidji State with one game in Grand Forks and the other in Bemidji.

Just now, rochsioux said:

Please please please stop scheduling Bemidji every fricken year. Every other year would be more than enough. Get back to scheduling Wisconsin. Try to get Michigan occasionally now that Red is long gone. Get Maine back on the schedule occasionally, anyone but a constant diet of Bemidji. 

Just make Bemidji an exhibition game since most schools play another D1 team as an exhibition or they play a ACHA team. Or make a scheduling deal between Bemidji, St Cloud, and Mankato where the NCHC teams swap CCHA teams each night. 

• Upvote 2

Why does it seem the majority of people think Blake is good enough to go pro? 

He’s small and can be reckless with the puck. Can he score? Absolutely, but I don’t feel he’s close to NHL ready. I think it’d be beneficial for him to stay at least another year maybe even through senior year. 

If he were to leave now, I see a Kawaguchi or Adams situation, going to AHL squad then may not even hang there but moved down to the jungle. Could be proved wrong tho. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Get Maine back on the schedule occasionally, anyone but a constant diet of Bemidji. 

A home and away series schedule with Maine would be pretty sweet. I’d consider going to that away series. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

He’s small and can be reckless with the puck. Can he score? Absolutely, but I don’t feel he’s close to NHL ready. I think it’d be beneficial for him to stay at least another year maybe even through senior year. 

If he were to leave now, I see a Kawaguchi or Adams situation, going to AHL squad then may not even hang there but moved down to the jungle. Could be proved wrong tho. 

You must mean the majority of people on a fan forum… hockey people know he’s not ready. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Blake’s talent and hockey sense are on a level higher than both of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

He’s not ready for the NHL. He’ll only turn 21 just before next season so he has plenty of time. Needs to be patient and develop. Take time to do that now and reap the benefits down the road. 

53 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

You aren’t wrong

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Didn’t Blake already say he was coming back? I swear this was discussed during senior weekend…

Not Blake personally, but a couple people (including Brandt) mentioned that he's told others that he wanted to come back for another season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Not Blake personally, but a couple people (including Brandt) mentioned that he's told others that he wanted to come back for another season.

Those decisions aren’t made lightly, and Brandt isn’t so dense that he’d throw that out to the public without solid information. Idk. Him coming back is crucial for this teams success. He doesn’t, I doubt this teams ability to make a run.

3 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

Scheel definitely was extremely consistent…right up until a couple of uncharacteristic softies against BU that ended their season. Crazy how what you expect (him to be the backbone of that tourney run) doesn’t always go how you think. 

Scheel never faced BU. 

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

He’s way better (and has a way higher ceiling) than the two players you mentioned. He’s the definition of a late bloomer. He’s grown quite a bit in the two years he’s been at UND. Pretty sure he’s listed at 5’11” now. When he was drafted he was like 5’7” 120. 

His O is so much better than many of the college players. He definitely has to play better D however. He’s a significantly better skater than Kawaguchi. 

What Blake is missing is a trigger man (hopefully that doesn’t bring up the getter setter whatever posters :)). But in all honesty…Blake needs an elite shooter with him. He’s going to be an elite robin as opposed to a Batman.