SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND - Hawks vs Hawks to go to the Frozen Faceoff

brianvf

Winner goes to Frozen Faceoff.
Hopefully we see a UND team with a little more than they showed against UNO.

UND is 4-0 against Miami this season.  Although Miami had a few injuries last time they played UND.
The Friday night game was the one where Blake scored in OT then just skated off the ice in frustration that it even went to OT. ;)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-preparing-to-face-a-different-looking-miami-team

Miami will look a bit different this weekend than last time UND saw the RedHawks. Miami's top line will feature Matthew Barbolini and Raimonds Vitolins. When the teams met in February the first-line forwards were among the handful of key players missing from the RedHawks' lineup. Both have since returned.

Barbolini is Miami's leading scorer with 11 goals and 25 points in 29 games. The senior winger has tallied three-straight 10-goal, 20-point seasons for Miami. Vitolins is Miami's fourth-leading scorer with 17 points in 26 games. The center is a transfer from Vermont.

This needs to be a curb stomp both nights.

Need to prove they're  a team hell bent on winning and going to destroy an opponent like this with extreme shock and awe just for the annoyance of having to play them.

Killers kill.... sharks do sharky things...  Winners Win.

Time to win.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Playing at home has proven to be a distinct advantage for the Sioux this season. That being said, Miami is going to throw everything including the kitchen sink at UND Friday night.  I look for a very aggressive forecheck from them.  UND needs to make them pay if they try to pressure for a full 200 feet.

This is the weekend that starts our run to #9. The guys need to come out and put fear in the rest of the NCAA field, they need to take it to Miami with a relentless fury that makes anyone playing us in the National tournament become defeated in their hearts when they find out they are playing us. We have seen greatness throughout this season that I think will be elevated in post season play. Gaber is a guy with the fire in his heart and the passion to guide this team to the top. TIME TO HANG 9!!!!!!

• Like 1

The Midco Sports channel, shown on Xfinity in the Twin Cities, is showing Summit League Basketball.  I'm guessing that the games will be shown on Midco 2; similar to last weekend in Omaha?

Looks like I'll be tuning in on the NCHC.tv feed.

• Upvote 1

I hope the Hawks give UND all they can to better prepare us for the NCAAs. We need to find a way to respond to play against the ways UNO and CC played us. IMO I see us having to defeat CC or UNO at some point during the NCAAs. I can’t see UND being the only NCHC team playing in the South Dakota regional

13 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

IMO I see us having to defeat CC or UNO at some point during the NCAAs. I can’t see UND being the only NCHC team playing in the South Dakota regional

It's certainly looking to be lining up that way, isn't it?
I feel like the boys would welcome another shot at either of those teams.  But their playing styles have certainly caused us fits all season...I would hope that by then the coaching staff would have been practicing ways to counter that style.

7 minutes ago, burd said:

What does “xG” mean?

Expected goals

It's essentially the statistical odds of a particular shot going in the net depending on where the shot is taken on the ice.
Schloss really started pushing the xG stats last year, when UND was really struggling but the xG stats were showing that the team should have been doing much better.

13 minutes ago, burd said:

What does “xG” mean?

I thought it was a movie rating for even cleaner than a G rating: the characters don't even say "golly". <-- xG! 

Like Hollywood would make something like that. ;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

I hope the Hawks give UND all they can to better prepare us for the NCAAs. We need to find a way to respond to play against the ways UNO and CC played us. IMO I see us having to defeat CC or UNO at some point during the NCAAs. I can’t see UND being the only NCHC team playing in the South Dakota regional

It's beast mode time. Now till April 13th. :devil:

19 hours ago, brianvf said:

It's certainly looking to be lining up that way, isn't it?
I feel like the boys would welcome another shot at either of those teams.  But their playing styles have certainly caused us fits all season...I would hope that by then the coaching staff would have been practicing ways to counter that style.

The good thing about getting swept by those teams is that it was the regular season when the loses don't end your season.  Hopefully any rematch with either of those schools the coaches have put together a new game plan.