SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

22 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I'd tell Brad he's embarrassing right to his face, but he always no-shows for the meet-ups.  Kind of like how the team no-shows for all the NCAA tournaments after all these amazing NCHC regular season titles in the greatest hockey league ever to exist....which is why UND has done so well in NCAA play lately.  

Yup. Just one win I believe (?) in ncaa tourney play since winning the natty with Haks players in 2016.  Let that sink in.  Big, big, test tomorrow. Sioux hitting 3 pipes in 3rd period tonight ain’t helped but still a lackluster showing vs CC.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

In the last 25-30 years we’re (at the very least) a top 1-3 team in the country…a top program. US hockey is booming and so hockey. Other programs are starting to pull in blue chip too (some much better). But there is no other team really winning more than us. Other tops programs lose too. 

No one is arguing about the last 25-30 years.  It's about the way things have gone the last seven or so.  The regular season titles are nice, but this team vastly underperforms later in the season under Berry since the title team of Hak's recruits.  

Like I said before this series, CC smells home ice for the first time in many moons.  UND needed to match that intensity.  Everybody needs to bring it, but they definitely need more from guys like Schmaltz and Perron.

Except for the offense, defense and goaltending, I thought it was good.  

But the biggest no show was UND's goalposts - not one save, and they had plenty of opportunities.  CC's posts had a heck of a game, bunch of saves. 

1 minute ago, GDPritch said:

Yup. Just one win I believe (?) in ncaa tourney play since winning the natty with Haks players in 2016.  Let that sink in.  Big, big, test tomorrow. Sioux hitting 3 pipes in 3rd period tonight ain’t helped but still a lackluster showing vs CC.

Yep, just one....and it was AIC.  Even UND couldn't underperform against them. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Too long of a break if you ask me.

The thing is though, CC had the same bye week as we did. This is just such a head scratcher for me in terms of just how poorly we played tonight. 

It is one game but you need to make sure that is all it is. Don't let any of the bad habits, effort, plays, etc. grow into a trend. Own the performance and the ugly effort tonight and tomorrow is a new day where you show what kind of toughness you have by responding.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Yea Hakstol never choked in the playoffs.  How many titles did he win again?  

Whatever. They were still a better hockey team season to season under his watch. College hockey though is cruel in that it is one and done.   The NHL surely recognized that and hired him.  Berry ain’t got no NHL teams knocking on his door.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, CC’s playing with swagger and they’re so dang structured. Also, has CC gotten into the psyche of the UND players now with their 3 wins in a row? -I hope not. Not confident we can come out of tomorrow with a W. 

Just now, SiouxScore said:

It is one game but you need to make sure that is all it is. Don't let any of the bad habits, effort, plays, etc. grow into a trend. Own the performance and the ugly effort tonight and tomorrow is a new day where you show what kind of toughness you have by responding.

Exactly, they need to get back to the team that doesn’t take many penalties, and not focus on taking shots because they are pissed off.  Total need for a reset, knowing that we have a lot to play for in a high seed and conference implications.

Just now, Godsmack said:

Thing is, CC’s playing with swagger and they’re so dang structured. Also, has CC gotten into the psyche of the UND players now with their 3 wins in a row? -I hope not. Not confident we can come out of tomorrow with a W. 

Yeah, that is a good point. They forced us to play their game (with the help of the refs early on). But Wisdom is the real deal.

7 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

Everyone relax. First regulation loss since when?.?.?.?..?.

I remember an  8-1 loss at St Cloud a couple seasons ago and everyone was their minds………..it’s one game. Sun will come up tomorrow.

Lost 8-1 and then won 5-3 the next night. It was the season they lost OT game to Notre Dame in the tournament…which they should’ve won. So many chances…

9 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

No one is arguing about the last 25-30 years.  It's about the way things have gone the last seven or so.  The regular season titles are nice, but this team vastly underperforms later in the season under Berry since the title team of Hak's recruits.  

You nailed it, guy.

• Upvote 2

It's February and that's the first time they haven't gotten at least a point in an NCHC game.  

Hold off canceling the season just yet.  Let's see how the leadership group gets them ready for tomorrow.

I for one am happy that CC is on the upswing.  Life wasn't the same with them being a door mat.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This was an ass-whooping, for sure, but it doesn’t count for two losses.  Response is key. 
Tomorrow’s game starts 0-0. Flush this one and get the split tomorrow.  Don’t let this become two losses. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Our pairwise score went up still.....

??????

After how the beanpot tourney and ratings went though, it should. We lost to a top 15 team on the road at mile high altitude and we were on a huge non-regulation loss streak!  We can’t be near perfect every game.

I wonder what Berry and his staff saw that we didn’t challenging that goal for an offsides. Sure looked clear to me that Veremyev’s foot was firmly planted on the blue line. That decision cost us dearly as we got a delay of game penalty and we proceeded to give up a power play goal. This was a collective effort by players and coaches alike in this loss tonight.

• Upvote 1