SiouxSports.com Forum

OMAHA! @ UND - Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Also, I enjoyed watching Griffin Ness play last night. He was finishing every check and played a great game. I’d like to see more of him he’s a spark plug.

Yes, gotta love those grinders, could definitely use more guys that are willing to get dirty and play both ways.  It seems like we could use more skill guys that are hard to play against like Pinto.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm just happy that @brianvf had to live through a blizzard in Grand Forks this weekend as karma for his Arizona lifestyle.

Ha! I wouldn’t call this weekend a blizzard. ;)

The real karma payback will be when it’s 110°+ for two months straight this summer in AZ. :blink:

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Ness/schmaltz/ Albrecht  should be the fourth line. 

Ness and Schmaltz yes. Strinden needs to be the 3rd line center. I like Kunz over Albrecht but Montgomery is a solid option IMO.

• Upvote 2

Ness did show more effort than most last night, mostly I imagine to try and secure more playing time. It was nice to see him finish the play to score the goal. That play was all Strinden to get the puck where it was. Strinden should move up a line. Schmaltz, Ness, and Kunz makes sense for the 4th line.

18 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Kind of a bizarre season. PWR #7. Second place in the conference. Zero losses in regulation since early November. Yet sometimes it feels like the wheels are falling off. 

Because if we play like that in the playoffs it’s going to be another early exit for the Sioux. Writing is on the wall

17 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I was shocked to hear Berry in the post game interview mention that Ness didn’t get a single shift in the first period and then comes out in the second period on his first shift of the game and scores a goal. Given how lackadaisical the team looked in the first, I’m kinda surprised he wasn’t inserted at least a shift or two as the first period progressed, just to see if he could’ve added some much needed juice. 

Berry has no balls to sit the blue chippas , not sure if he is just stubborn or scared to lose the guys to the NHL.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Berry has no balls to sit the blue chippas , not sure if he is just stubborn or scared to lose the guys to the NHL.

Perron is less of a defensive liability than Blake yet Perron played very little down the stretch with the lead late.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Based on what I saw this series I'd go these forward line vs the Clowns

18 14 17

26 22 9

28 21 27

29 8 11

I like this a lot. But I would be nit picky and have jammer at center and strinden on the wing because Jammer is more consistent on faceoffs and Strinden can use his speed and size well on the wing. 

Other than that I like this. Although I’m still in favor of something changing with Blake to get him with 2 guys that are really good defensively because he’s got a loooong ways to go 

9 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Other than that I like this. Although I’m still in favor of something changing with Blake to get him with 2 guys that are really good defensively because he’s got a loooong ways to go 

Blake unquestionably is a defensive liability, but they have to be careful not to neutralize what he brings to the offense, which is critical to their ultimate success.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, burd said:

Blake unquestionably is a defensive liability, but they have to be careful not to neutralize what he brings to the offense, which is critical to their ultimate success.  

I agree but he’s playing himself into a spot where he shouldn’t be on the ice in a later 1-goal game and should be mostly utilized when on the power play or when scraping our way back into a game. I was terrified with his line on the ice with a little over 2 mins to go because he hasn’t shown ability to change yet. If Blake hadn’t played last night or if he and Perron were switched on lines we night have gotten a shutout because yet again, one of his mistakes led to a goal. 

I really do want him on our team, badly. But for having played 1.5 years, he should be better on both ends of the puck now. Bumping him to a line with Jammer and Johannes would still be enough fire to get him going but also give him 2 line mates who play the game the right way. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I agree but he’s playing himself into a spot where he shouldn’t be on the ice in a later 1-goal game and should be mostly utilized when on the power play or when scraping our way back into a game. I was terrified with his line on the ice with a little over 2 mins to go because he hasn’t shown ability to change yet. If Blake hadn’t played last night or if he and Perron were switched on lines we night have gotten a shutout because yet again, one of his mistakes led to a goal. 

I really do want him on our team, badly. But for having played 1.5 years, he should be better on both ends of the puck now. Bumping him to a line with Jammer and Johannes would still be enough fire to get him going but also give him 2 line mates who play the game the right way. 

Danny Kristo didn't learn how to play in the defensive zone until his junior year. Suggesting Blake needs to have a lesser role essentially ignores his game breaking ability. 

This isn't an excuse as I know for a fact that he's conscious of play defensively as the coaching staff is reminding him. Diminishing his role in any way, IMO, is not the right choice. He's gotta learn and learning comes with continual reps in big situations.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Danny Kristo didn't learn how to play in the defensive zone until his junior year. Suggesting Blake needs to have a lesser role essentially ignores his game breaking ability. 

This isn't an excuse as I know for a fact that he's conscious of play defensively as the coaching staff is reminding him. Diminishing his role in any way, IMO, is not the right choice. He's gotta learn and learning comes with continual reps in big situations.

Agree.

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

... gotta learn and learning comes with continual reps in big situations.

Mentioning that:

2-1 game and under a minute with faceoff in defensive zone and they roll out ... Ben Strinden. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Blais sat his dad for a game because he wasn't playing the right way.  Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to wake you up that defensive responsibility is required of everyone, not just the offensive stars.  Wasn't it just a year ago the argument was being made that Brent Johnson wasn't doing the right things defensively?  I sometimes think that there are some guys that have a different standard for getting to see the bench.  It took forever of Rhett Gardner taking bad penalties, and a lot of fan dissatisfaction before he finally was made to sit.   If there was some effort to do the right things, I would agree with you, but it is the same blind passes to dangerous areas and one last move just inside the blue lines that happen repeatedly.   Even moreso, after the turnovers are made, the hustle to get back is lacking, and if it was an odd man rush the other way, there seems to be more hustle.  When you are talking culture, those are some big issues, as the expectation should be the same of everyone.  

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, tnt said:

Blais sat his dad for a game because he wasn't playing the right way.  Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to wake you up that defensive responsibility is required of everyone, not just the offensive stars.  Wasn't it just a year ago the argument was being made that Brent Johnson wasn't doing the right things defensively?  I sometimes think that there are some guys that have a different standard for getting to see the bench.  It took forever of Rhett Gardner taking bad penalties, and a lot of fan dissatisfaction before he finally was made to sit.   If there was some effort to do the right things, I would agree with you, but it is the same blind passes to dangerous areas and one last move just inside the blue lines that happen repeatedly.   Even moreso, after the turnovers are made, the hustle to get back is lacking, and if it was an odd man rush the other way, there seems to be more hustle.  When you are talking culture, those are some big issues, as the expectation should be the same of everyone.  

What's Blake's +-

5 minutes ago, burd said:

What's Blake's +-

+4

Perron +5

James +9

Now Blake's xG probably puts him at +23 if you're an analytics guy and not an eyeball test guy

I just want to preface this by saying Midco does such a great job bringing the games to us and I am truly appreciative. However, I don’t understand why they can’t figure out that doing intermission interviews and even end of game interviews get drowned out by the noise in the arena. It makes it difficult to hear the questions and responses and you can continually see players/coaches having to adjust the headset just to hear the questions. Why can’t they do the interviews outside the locker room or have the players/coaches outside the locker room or a media room in the player coaches area. It is so frustrating.