SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- Friday Night Game Thread

stoneySIOUX

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Biggest bonehead play of the game was that HJ penalty when we were a man up. That can never happen. He should get pulled off the pp for a game or two after that one.

Switch James & HJ in the lineup too. HJ is not a Top 6 guy. He had a great start, deserved to get a chance, but it’s becoming clear he’s just not a Top 6 guy. Don’t want another Schmaltz situation. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Switch James & HJ in the lineup too. HJ is not a Top 6 guy. He had a great start, deserved to get a chance, but it’s becoming clear he’s just not a Top 6 guy. Don’t want another Schmaltz situation. 

100% James needs to be top 6

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I talked about this with Virg Foss last night, too many passes. Just shot the F'N puck. 

There was a play where Blake was dangling and cutting and turning, etc and even Brandt commented “you just gotta shoot that biscuit. One too many moves.” 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Can anyone summarize Berry’s post game comments with Hennessy? I didn’t get to hear it. 

i think he almost dropped an f bomb with hennesssy......caught himself and switched it to frickin' if i heard correctly....but yeah same old stuff from bubs after the game.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

The last few games (that I’ve watched) Blake is holding onto pucks way too long. He extremely skilled, but he’s turning over pucks constantly. With his vision he should be moving pucks quickly. He does have decent possession skills, but he walks the line so much that he misses multiple plays each sequence. He won’t make the next level if he doesn’t move pucks quicker.

Biggest bonehead play of the game was that HJ penalty when we were a man up. That can never happen. He should get pulled off the pp for a game or two after that one.

He may have set a single game record for turnovers and giveaways last night. he got picked at least 8-9 times and just drop passed a puck to no one or tried to force an impossible pass another 10-11 times.

I don't think any coach in this era will call out players, the team or the opponent in a post game interview, that is like juggling hand grenades.  The issues will be dealt with (hopefully successfully) behind close doors.  IMHO it's ridiculous to think you will gain insight to the locker room via the post game interviews.

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

The last few games (that I’ve watched) Blake is holding onto pucks way too long. He extremely skilled, but he’s turning over pucks constantly. With his vision he should be moving pucks quickly. He does have decent possession skills, but he walks the line so much that he misses multiple plays each sequence. He won’t make the next level if he doesn’t move pucks quicker.

100%  These same damn things happened last week in Denver.

Blake had a brutal offensive zone turnover last Friday in the 1st that could have easily made it 5-1 Denver by the end of the first.

HJ took an offensive zone penalty 30 seconds into UNDs first power play last Friday too.

It’s as if Bubs and staff got back from Denver and decided to do absolutely zero coaching and film watching this week …

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Yep. Quit reading the news clippings and just play the game. 

I will say that a bunch of the fans aren’t much better.  These guys are college age guys that all of a sudden have confidence in themselves.  Sometimes a fine line between confidence and overconfidence.  You look at some of the predicted scores on this site, and talk about why we didn’t win by a lot, and it seems overconfidence isn’t only within the player group.  You have to respect that Colorado would want to beat the number 1 team and that their goalie has the ability to steal games.  Hopefully they aren’t of the thought process that it was a freak thing and couldn’t happen again, and instead have the mindset that they are going to be ready to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

It was insanity to have him out there for the OT, given how he had been playing all night. I know his OT history has been good overall but he's been a liability defensively and to not have James out there on the first OT shift was a poor choice. 

Disagree.  3-on-3 is a perfect situation for him.  His skills are magnified with all the open space.  Plenty of people would call it insanity to not have him out there.

4 minutes ago, jk said:

Disagree.  3-on-3 is a perfect situation for him.  His skills are magnified with all the open space.  Plenty of people would call it insanity to not have him out there.

Agree, you are betting that their offensive upside outweighs their defensive shortcomings, which is why you see guys like Kaprisov out on 3 x3 for the Wild. 3 on 3 is supposed to be wide open, which is why they instituted it so the action is non stop.  Even in the NHL, goalies are hung out to dry, despite how more players are supposed to be defensively sound.

47 minutes ago, jk said:

Most nights that would be the case. But you also need to play the guys who are playing well in a game like that. Therefore it wasn’t the right time for him to be out there at home with a game on the line. And of course his 100th turnover of the night ended up coming back the other way and in the net. It was fitting. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jk said:

But he was the one losing all the pucks. Agree, he needed to be out there. But given how the game was going with that line, I would have had Pyke out there with Blake and gaber.

5 hours ago, jk said:

I might be in the minority, but Blake and Gabber did nothing this weekend to justify being out in OT.....play the guys that are playing well, stop being infatuated with a name.  If they dont have it that night, they don't have it.

• Upvote 1