SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- Friday Night Game Thread

stoneySIOUX

Wow. I’m a little bit stunned. Great game plan by CC, totally clogging up the middle of the ice. UND struggled to get clean zone entries and when they got O zone time, CC didn’t give them any clear shooting lanes. Plus, UND looked a little flat. Arena sounded quiet most of the game. A frustrating game to watch, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Wow. I’m a little bit stunned. Great game plan by CC, totally clogging up the middle of the ice. UND struggled to get clean zone entries and when they got O zone time, CC didn’t give them any clear shooting lanes. Plus, UND looked a little flat. Arena sounded quiet most of the game. A frustrating game to watch, for sure. 

Well someone had to mention their power play not doing well....:lol:

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Yep! I jinxed them!

What better way for a team to get a slump buster than against the number one team in the nation, on the road no less. Good lord. 

Yeah, they couldn’t manage to win by totally outshooting Arizona State, but they can win despite no shots in the third, and they averaged only .83 goals per game against rated teams but managed 3 against the number one team and a good goalie too.  That’s why people can talk stats all the time, but when they start spouting streaks and everything like we discussed, that’s when I get concerned.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I have never seen a team lose like tonight. CC's last two shots on goal were both goals. And they didn't have a single shot on goal in the third period. Wow, that was ugly.

I never really felt like they were a threat to win that game until they did. Never should have happened. Figure it out tomorrow or it’ll be a very long break. 

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, they couldn’t manage to win by totally outshooting Arizona State, but they can win despite no shots in the third, and they averaged only .83 goals per game against rated teams but managed 3 against the number one team and a good goalie too.  That’s why people can talk stats all the time, but when they start spouting streaks and everything like we discussed, that’s when I get concerned.

I am not going to say I predicted this outcome because I clearly didn’t. But I had two fears going into this game,,,,1) UND coming out a little emotionally flat coming off that emotional road series against DU and 2) Kaidan Mbereko playing like an elite goaltender that I think he can be. He didn’t get tested a whole lot tonight unfortunately but he made a game saving stop on the James breakaway in the third. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Where Goon at to make up a defense to all of this poor play we saw tonight???? Where are the sympathizers at tonight? 

not much of anyone around with only 6 pages for this entire game……

It happens.  Not happy about it, but hopefully lessons learned.  We’ve had a lot of great teams lay eggs from time to time, like the Hrkac Circus losing at home to U.S. International of San Diego.  They responded well after a bad second period, but they need to learn that this is the type of situation that can put you out of the tournament.  When you leave it until the end, the bounce of the puck can go against you, even if you are the team forcing the issue and not giving up much. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

I think the top 2 lines need a shuffle

A few games removed from an explosion in Denver, I think they are fine.  Tonight had everything to do with mindset and will, not line combinations.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

I never really felt like they were a threat to win that game until they did. Never should have happened. Figure it out tomorrow or it’ll be a very long break. 

Personally, in the third when we were getting chances and not scoring, I was thinking it was going to be a situation where they come down on one line rush and the puck finds its way into the net.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Where's Goon at to make up a defense to all of this poor play we saw tonight???? Where are the sympathizers at tonight? 

not much of anyone around with only 6 pages for this entire game……

Dude, why are you chirping me? I don't recall me, the goon, defending anything tonight. It's one E'F game and some are ready to go full freak out. 

Hunter Johannes Cross Check.jpg

CC Score Max Burkholder .jpg

54 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Can anyone summarize Berry’s post game comments with Hennessy? I didn’t get to hear it. 

In the post-game press conference, he wasn't a happy camper. He was pissed. He basically said there were a few passengers tonight and didn't come out ready to play or something along those lines. 

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Can anyone summarize Berry’s post game comments with Hennessy? I didn’t get to hear it. 

"At the end of the day.....at the end of the day......at the end of the day......culture....."

• Upvote 2

CC scored on its last 2 SOG 22 minutes apart.  UND totally dominated the 3rd (SOG 11-0) but if you can not bury one to win it and then you turn immediately it over below the red line leading to a CC rush in OT.....

Just for the record, the sky is not falling. This isn’t last year. Today is a new day and UND 12-4-1, 5-2-0 in the NCHC and I predict a turn around tonight. By the way Schlossman predicted it would be a 3-2 CC win last night. When the score hit 2-2, I was taking pictures and mumbled F-Bomb! 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, tnt said:

Like I said, it’s a crapshoot.  Once UND doesn’t have the puck, Blake and McLaughlin become a defensive liability.  Blake better learn fast that you have to at least play a little defense, or he will be in the doghouse of coaches at the next level. When he just watched a CC player fly by him and would have scored if his teammate could have got him the puck, I saw total lack of effort at the defensive end of the ice.  You know if it was going for a two on one the other way, he would have made the effort.  We need him to be a bit more responsible at both ends, because even though he is by far a huge net positive, when you get to tourney time, the recipe isn’t usually running and gunning.   Michigan and BU haven’t had a ton of success with that formula lately.  

The last few games (that I’ve watched) Blake is holding onto pucks way too long. He extremely skilled, but he’s turning over pucks constantly. With his vision he should be moving pucks quickly. He does have decent possession skills, but he walks the line so much that he misses multiple plays each sequence. He won’t make the next level if he doesn’t move pucks quicker.

Biggest bonehead play of the game was that HJ penalty when we were a man up. That can never happen. He should get pulled off the pp for a game or two after that one.

• Upvote 1