SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ BU - Sat Game

brianvf

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/jackson-blakes-overtime-winner-gives-und-5-4-victory-in-wild-game-at-boston-university?fbclid=IwAR3_T7Oxr3v0Cf4aBozLOT2z8qldiYr4_y58c2-tSqeIJBYw73u8uW4OIqs

Jackson Blake had the puck on his stick in overtime.

The UND sophomore forward skated up the right side, and decided to make a move.

"I just saw they had a guy flat-footed," Blake said. "I knew he was a forward. I figured I could try to beat him one-on-one."

How'd he know the defending player was a forward?

"I usually can tell on those," Blake said. "I saw it was number 11. I knew he was a forward."

Blake attacked Boston University forward Luke Tuch, danced around him, cut across the crease and flipped a backhand past goalie Mathieu Caron to give UND a 5-4 win in a wild, back-and-forth game in Agganis Arena.

UND coach Brad Berry shuffled the lines for the series finale, putting Blake with Owen McLaughlin and captain Riese Gaber — a combination the Fighting Hawks used at times last season.

That unit clicked. Blake finished with a goal and three points. McLaughlin also had a goal and three points. Gaber scored and added an assist. Ben Strinden and Jayden Perron also scored for the Fighting Hawks.

UND finished its first stretch of nonconference play with a 5-2-1, including three wins over top-10 teams — Wisconsin, Minnesota and Boston University.

"You want to win them all, but in this day and age, there's so much parity in college hockey," Berry said. "When you play nonconference games against a team like this, in a building like this, to come out with a split is productive for us."

• Upvote 1

Wish I could have been there but watched on ESPN+.

I think we watched this years Hobie this weekend between Lane H and Blake. 

If Lane or Macklin get injured BU season is over, they each must have had 30+ minutes ice time, don’t think Lane came off during the 5 minute penalty. 

1 hour ago, mattim said:

Wish I could have been there but watched on ESPN+.

I think we watched this years Hobie this weekend between Lane H and Blake. 

If Lane or Macklin get injured BU season is over, they each must have had 30+ minutes ice time, don’t think Lane came off during the 5 minute penalty. 

Hutson might be the most dynamic player I’ve seen play college puck in a bit. And there have been some good ones lately. Celebrini obviously the real deal too. He’ll go 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattim said:

In his podcast, Schlossman mentioned Lane Hutson's incredible TOI stats. He's smallish but boy can he play hockey.

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

In his podcast, Schlossman mentioned Lane Hutson's incredible TOI stats. He's smallish but boy can he play hockey.

I don't think UND hit him enough, granted with the way the game was being called UND completely shied away from the physical play or they would have been playing 5x3 all night.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

Well .67 or whatever- this was a win! On the road. Vs a good pairwise opponent. Never lost lead  in the game. Growth as a team. Confidence in each other and coaches. Against poor refs. 
This was a mega success all in all. 

.67 for an OT win x 1.2 for a road win = .804 of a win + a Quality Win Bonus for any team beaten in the top 20 of the RPI(assuming BU is in this at EOY). In other words, no one truly knows how much of a win this is until the regular season ends.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think UND hit him enough, granted with the way the game was being called UND completely shied away from the physical play or they would have been playing 5x3 all night.  

True. The Gophers made him a non factor in the semifinal game last year as he had to defend more than he likes to. He was with team USA at the World Championships last year and they primarily used him on the power play and when we had an offensive zone faceoff. He was outmuscled and beat for the overtime goals in the semi final and bronze medal games. He definitely needs to add some muscle but he is beyond dynamic with the puck.

Not doubting Hutson's brilliance, but is he that much more dynamic than Perunovich was at Duluth?  Injuries have been an issue, but he's 25 and has played 21 career NHL games.  P is listed at 5'10" 175.  H at 5'10" 161.  

He is a fantastic player to have on your college team, but you eventually have to defend.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

2-1 against the B1G and 1-1 against a likely top 3 in HEA.
1-0-1 vs CCHA 
1-0 vs AHA

Can’t have our Thanksgiving letdown against Bemidji and take for granted the rest of our non conference games, but this puts us in good position.  Would be nice to challenge for a high #1 seed so we will be put in Sioux Falls in a year in which we aren’t hosting a regional and Missouri is the next closest regional.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Did anyone else have issues with the volume of the BU play by play guys? It seemed muted but whenever they’d go to commercial the volume was really loud. (We’d gotten the ESPN+ subscription) 

No issues when I muted him after two minutes. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Did anyone else have issues with the volume of the BU play by play guys? It seemed muted but whenever they’d go to commercial the volume was really loud. (We’d gotten the ESPN+ subscription) 

Yes! Every time they went to a commercial. The feed froze many times also, maybe due to my nephew's TV. 

6 hours ago, jk said:

If ever there was a face-off to win, it was to start OT.  Was nice to see Hutson and Celibrini on the ice when Blake scored, but it would not have been fun to see them with the puck.

I have Phil Kessel on line 1.  He says he was minus 165 in the NHL, and still got to play.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 7:24 AM, Wilbur said:

He’s pretty tough to hit :) 

18 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Yes, it was a brutal production. Good picture, but the PxP announcers needed to turn up their mics. They were absolutely brutal, too. 

• Upvote 1