SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ BU - Sat Game

brianvf

19 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Did anyone else have issues with the volume of the BU play by play guys? It seemed muted but whenever they’d go to commercial the volume was really loud. (We’d gotten the ESPN+ subscription) 

Yup.  On top of that, the announcers seemed to be almost whispering during normal play by play, but then went full volume yelling when BU scored.  It was an incredibly uncomfortable broadcast to watch and listen to.

• Upvote 2

On 11/4/2023 at 8:36 PM, Oxbow6 said:

UND should want to see BU in the NCAAs. Wasn't impressed. Minny is much better.

TOTALLY agree. This was my assessment of the weekend, summed up. When we got to a puck possession game, we were stronger and more skilled. Celebrini and Hutson are both all-world, but if you take them away, no one stood out all weekend. With the exception of the last 7 minutes on Saturday, we HEAVILY out possessed that team 5 on 5. I would love to see them in the tourney.

• Upvote 2

I posted this after the Goofer series. I will post it again here. Because I think the best is still to come with this UND team:

"You play baseball coach for a moment. Two players run to first. They both have the same time, but one has perfect form, the other, lousy form."

Which one do you pick?

The one with lousy form.

Why?

‘Cause teach him the right form...and he beats the other guy.

Check back in April to see if I am right.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I posted this after the Goofer series. I will post it again here. Because I think the best is still to come with this UND team:

"You play baseball coach for a moment. Two players run to first. They both have the same time, but one has perfect form, the other, lousy form."

Which one do you pick?

The one with lousy form.

Why?

That’s also a reason when, all else is equal, many coaches choose the multi sport athlete over the hockey only kid. There is a higher upside to the multi sport kid once he focuses on one sport. Studies show single sport athletes peak earlier than multi sport athletes in addition to being more prone to injuries. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That’s also a reason when, all else is equal, many coaches choose the multi sport athlete over the hockey only kid. There is a higher upside to the multi sport kid once he focuses on one sport. Studies show single sport athletes peak earlier than multi sport athletes in addition to being more prone to injuries. 

Kids can also get burned out on hockey and quit because they don't enjoy playing anymore.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Which one do you pick?

The one with lousy form.

Why?

This exact idea is another reason why I think seeing BU in April would be as terrifying as seeing Minnesota. Everyone on that young team will be better by then. Celebrini has only been playing college puck for 4 weeks and has more than a point per game. I don't want to see him when it's been 5 months worth... 

But then again I think Justen Close is more likely to steal a game for MN that Caron is for BU.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Yeah, but we're spoiled here.  Midco has an outstanding production for UND hockey.  It's NHL quality, honestly.

I think that all of UND's sports broadcasts are really good. Spoiled is right. 

8 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

This exact idea is another reason why I think seeing BU in April would be as terrifying as seeing Minnesota. Everyone on that young team will be better by then. Celebrini has only been playing college puck for 4 weeks and has more than a point per game. I don't want to see him when it's been 5 months worth... 

But then again I think Justen Close is more likely to steal a game for MN that Caron is for BU.  

I don't think Caron is likely to steal any games, Close will be in the Richter hunt and maybe Hobey. Persson will be too if he keeps playing like he has so far.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Caron looked shaky to me, left a ton of rebounds and got beat high quite a bit

I wasn't impressed with him at all. If there's a weak link on their team, it's their goalie. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Caron looked shaky to me, left a ton of rebounds and got beat high quite a bit

I'm going to say the quiet parts here:

1. He got beat high because we were shooting from the perimeter; and 
2. None of those rebounds were pounded in because we were lacking net-front presence. 

We need to establish "garbage collection" in front. We started last season with the same issue. Someone needs to decide to play in bloody nose alley. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

2. None of those rebounds were pounded in because we were lacking net-front presence. 

We need to establish "garbage collection" in front. We started last season with the same issue. Someone needs to decide to play in bloody nose alley. 

And the smaller skill guys can do it.   Witness Zach Parise.   

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2023 at 9:58 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

It makes zero sense. It's a dive or it's a penalty. 

Agreed, but it is really embellishment vs. a dive, Need to have a penalty to call embellishment.  A dive with out a penalty infraction is just someone falling to the ice.  :)

You can have 

a) a dive
b) a penalty
c) a penalty and embellishment

Dive: You skate past me (no contact) and I go down like I'm shot (see: UW Robbie Earl); penalty on me
Penalty: I slash you; you skate on; penalty on me
Penalty and embellishment: I slash you; you go down like I amputated with a chain saw; penalty on each 

You can not have a dive and embellishment. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, nd jg said:

Agreed, but it is really embellishment vs. a dive, Need to have a penalty to call embellishment.  A dive with out a penalty infraction is just someone falling to the ice.  :)

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You can have 

a) a dive
b) a penalty
c) a penalty and embellishment

Dive: You skate past me (no contact) and I go down like I'm shot (see: UW Robbie Earl); penalty on me
Penalty: I slash you; you skate on; penalty on me
Penalty and embellishment: I slash you; you go down like I amputated with a chain saw; penalty on each 

You can not have a dive and embellishment. 

Right and yeah, I understand the distinction. I just thought that one was a dive haha

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wouldn’t say Perron and gabers goals were from the perimeter. He got beat clean over the shoulder and wasn’t particularly close to getting a piece.