SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ BU - Sat Game

brianvf

Anyone else annoyed by the fact we are calling this weekend a split.  3x3 ot wins are worth little more that a tie.  They are only worth 55% of a win.  Basically a loss and a tie on the weekend.  Not real impressive.  Blew a 2 goal lead and a late 3rd period lead.  This team has the right to get better, but this was not a good weekend.

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Anyone else annoyed by the fact we are calling this weekend a split.  3x3 ot wins are worth little more that a tie.  They are only worth 55% of a win.  Basically a loss and a tie on the weekend.  Not real impressive.  Blew a 2 goal lead and a late 3rd period lead.  This team has the right to get better, but this was not a good weekend.

Would you rather pretend we got swept?

Picking nits is hazardous for your health.

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No, but we didn't split.  It's barely better than the shoot out win Mankato got the weekend before.

Mankato's shootout "win" the weekend before was literally worth ZERO (the game officially goes down as a tie, a 50-50 split). Our OT win last Saturday night was worth 55% (a 55-45 split in our favor). That 5% doesn't seem like much until you remember when the Goofs missed the tournament by .0001 in the PWR a few years back. It could also make the difference between a higher or lower seed. Not that I want to have to rely on that come March, but you never know if it will be significant until Selection Sunday rolls around.

Just now, tnt said:

A little better than you make it out to be.  "Enjoy the season"!

I'll enjoy the season.  OT win is worth 55%, not 67%.  Either way it is not a split.  IMO a good weekend is a sweep at home and split on the road.  That should be the standard of a team looking to win a National Championship.  National Championship should be the goal every year for a UND team.  Like I said they have the right to improve and I expect they will with 8 new defensemen.  Goaltender looks like a great pick-up. 

Only real point is this was not a split.  As Saturday was 55% of a win.

4 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I'll enjoy the season.  OT win is worth 55%, not 67%.  Either way it is not a split.  IMO a good weekend is a sweep at home and split on the road.  That should be the standard of a team looking to win a National Championship.  National Championship should be the goal every year for a UND team.  Like I said they have the right to improve and I expect they will with 8 new defensemen.  Goaltender looks like a great pick-up. 

Only real point is this was not a split.  As Saturday was 55% of a win.

So @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer is full of crap?

3 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I guess I was the one spreading Fake news.  I totally missed that this was changed last year. 

Doesn't change the fact it was not a split.

Then what should we call it? Any ideas?

I really wish they would get rid of these stupid formulas and go back to something that makes sense.

Have an NCAA-wide 4x4 OT for 10 minutes. If it's still tied, then it goes down as a tie. If someone scores in OT, it is a win (not 55% or 67% or anything else).

We have made this way too complicated.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I really wish they would get rid of these stupid formulas and go back to something that makes sense.

Have an NCAA-wide 4x4 OT for 10 minutes. If it's still tied, then it goes down as a tie. If someone scores in OT, it is a win (not 55% or 67% or anything else).

Totally agree!

• Like 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Loss and OT Win.

18 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I guess I was the one spreading Fake news.  I totally missed that this was changed last year. 

Indeed you were, and I never never said it was so you seem to be arguing yourself presently. 

I'm not as concerned about the nuance on if it's a split or 45% of a split as I am with how the team is playing, which I think is pretty damn good(especially for early November).  If you want everyone to feel 5% more disappointed because it wasn't a full split, you're going to be fully disappointed.  There are still fans going nuts for non-conference shootout wins.

In fact, if you want to turn that mirror back at yourself all splits aren't even created equal so why are they called a split?!  A regulation win and loss @ BU is worth much more than a regulation win and loss at home vs Miami.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Big Green said:

How does that crow taste, despite the fact that you are still in denial? It is a split because it goes as a win on UND's record and a loss on BU's record. Additionally, we get at least 67% credit for the "win", whether you choose to call it that or not. 

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

Why do I get the feeling that Big Green would be the first to be complaining about getting swept by BU if the outcome of the overtime would have been reversed. 

Doesn't even make sense.  I would be upset if it was called a sweep when it was a Loss and OT Loss.  Not the same as a sweep.

I sweep implies 1 team got at whole pie and the other not nothing.  A split implies both teams got 1/2. 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

5-1-0-0-1-0

This is the current record for a random college hockey team as presented on USCHO.com. This is just ridiculous. You shouldn't need more than two dashes.

Wins, losses, ties. Please.

• Like 1