SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ BU - Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

Very winnable game tonight, but Ness took that dumb penalty, and a couple of "hope" type passes led to turnovers in our zone, at least one of which gave BU a goal.  90% of the time, they looked pretty good tonight.  The 10% bit them.

Yeah, Ness and Kunz take less than timely penalties, and they are on the fringe of the lineup on a nightly basis.  Wouldn’t mind giving Montgomery a shot in place of one of them.

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Berry doing Berry things. Not preparing the team. Karl needs rethink this power play.

At what point does it fall on the players for not scoring?  Outside of 2 games not including the exhibition they have struggled to score period just not on the PP.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, willythekid said:

UND is the better team...  If they could stop with the dumb penalties and just play solid D, our play-makers will do the rest.   Very undisciplined right now.

You wouldn’t know that by Bernie Corbett.  UND is lucky to share the same ice in his eyes.  Typical east coast arrogance.  Got to be killing him that the Q is the one that got it done for the east.

• Upvote 1

That is the type of game you need to win. BU got some bounces but you have to take advantage of more of your looks against a goalie who didn't look sharp at all. 

Wasn't real impressed with BU. Of the teams we have faced so far I'd have them 3 at best behind Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Officiating as seemingly is always the case when you go out East was pretty weak.

Have to do something with the PP, think you have to look at trying to work from down low more maybe operating more from behind net/goal line extended.

Think maybe a little bit of line tweaking might be in order too, feels like Schmaltz just doesn't fit real well with McLaughlin and Blake. Would love to see Perron get the look there. James and Johannes could be 2 other potential guys there. Move Schmaltz back to center and bump Jamernik down to center the 4th line.

Perron-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Gaber

Johannes-Schmaltz-Strinden

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

That is the type of game you need to win. BU got some bounces but you have to take advantage of more of your looks against a goalie who didn't look sharp at all. 

Wasn't real impressed with BU. Of the teams we have faced so far I'd have them 3 at best behind Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Officiating as seemingly is always the case when you go out East was pretty weak.

Have to do something with the PP, think you have to look at trying to work from down low more maybe operating more from behind net/goal line extended.

Think maybe a little bit of line tweaking might be in order too, feels like Schmaltz just doesn't fit real well with McLaughlin and Blake. Would love to see Perron get the look there. James and Johannes could be 2 other potential guys there. Move Schmaltz back to center and bump Jamernik down to center the 4th line.

Perron-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Gaber

Johannes-Schmaltz-Strinden

I said the same thing after last weekend. Schmaltz isn’t top 6 caliber. Not a threat to score and isn’t a playmaker. Would be just fine in a 3rd/4th line role but need some production out of a 2nd line lw paired with McLaughlin/Blake. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Username Taken said:

I said the same thing after last weekend. Schmaltz isn’t top 6 caliber. Not a threat to score and isn’t a playmaker. Would be just fine in a 3rd/4th line role but need some production out of a 2nd line lw paired with McLaughlin/Blake. 

Johannes and Schmaltz switch spots tomorrow. James would be my 2nd choice.

• Upvote 1

It’s early in the season, yes. But the same three headed monster continues to surface, just like it has  over last couple of seasons…..even strength scoring and untimely penalties.  UND has been very subpar in these areas. I’ve said before, the forwards don’t score on a regular basis 5x5 and it needs to change or close games will continue to go other way. At some point something has to give. 

I have said many times to a few, if UND is above .500 after 10 games, I would be surprised and happy. Will this team make the NCAA tourney, yes, but the swagger is not quite there yet for this team to be elite. The first 10 games will tell a lot, I like this group.  

Lots to be excited about, locker room  leadership  much better than last year, but certainly a ways to go……

1 hour ago, bcblues said:

This officiating crew is awful.

I'm legit not a guy that is one to blame the refs, but goodness it was bad. The faceoff violation penalty leading to a 5x3 goal is just so bad. The ref has to use better discretion. They wanted their spotlight and it was gross. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm legit not a guy that is one to blame the refs, but goodness it was bad. The faceoff violation penalty leading to a 5x3 goal is just so bad. The ref has to use better discretion. They wanted their spotlight and it was gross. 

Went back and watched the replay of this call in slow motion. Schmaltz absolutely did not close his hand on the puck. Horrible call.