SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota @ UND - Rivalry Renewed - Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

41 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Schmaltz is another one who’s had a super long leash. I just don’t see it. Perron has to be on the top PP.

I’ll watch my words here. Schmaltz is fine, but I don’t see him as a Top 6/9 forward. Incredibly low offensive ceiling. I don’t understand why he’s a Top 6 / PP fixture. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I’ll watch my words here. Schmaltz is fine, but I don’t see him as a Top 6/9 forward. Incredibly low offensive ceiling. I don’t understand why he’s a Top 6 / PP fixture. 

He was our top faceoff guy last year and that was the reason I thought he played top 6 last year. Then they moved him to wing so I see no point to have him there if he’s not taking draws. 

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He was our top faceoff guy last year and that was the reason I thought he played top 6 last year. Then they moved him to wing so I see no point to have him there if he’s not taking draws. 

He was owned by Nelson on pp face offs , couldn’t by a win and gophers got the clear , try Berg tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Switch Emerson for Schmaltz. Give Emerson minutes and see what he can do. If he struggles, go back to it next Friday. Put James 2nd / Emerson 3rd / Schmaltz extra. My point is make guys earn spots. Give opportunities to young players. I know it feels like I’m picking on Schmaltz, but he’s not the only one. This year will be better than last (better talent level), but there’s still some guys who are big minute “locks” that are baffeling

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Switch Emerson for Schmaltz. Give Emerson minutes and see what he can do. If he struggles, go back to it next Friday. Put James 2nd / Emerson 3rd / Schmaltz extra. My point is make guys earn spots. Give opportunities to young players. I know it feels like I’m picking on Schmaltz, but he’s not the only one. This year will be better than last (better talent level), but there’s still some guys who are big minute “locks” that are baffeling

I know you watched last season so...........

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would love to see James on the 2nd line wing, he’s ready. And yeah Schmaltz is not a top 6 guy with the talent we have but Berry will never in a million years put schmaltz as the extra skater. Either way I think we need to see Ness tonight. Not a great faceoff guy but steady defensively, good with puck possession and can be opportunistic offensively. 

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schmaltz takes Strinden's spot and Ben is on a wing with Schmaltz. 

14 22 8 27

I think we might be talking about different things. I think you’re talking generally about UND’s 4 centers on lines 1-4. 

I was talking about a potential top power play unit. The options listed were Johannes, Gaber, Perron, and Blake. Who takes the draw on that unit? 

13 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Who’s taking the faceoff though? You have no centers. 

We’ve done it in the past, where once we win the draw, the center comes off the ice. Schmaltz for Johannes. It works. The idea is to use Blake to create space for Perron and Gaber, our best shooters. Right now, it’s just Gaber and Blake passing the puck back and forth. It’s way too predictable.

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

We’ve done it in the past, where once we win the draw, the center comes off the ice. Schmaltz for Johannes. It works. The idea is to use Blake to creat space for Perron and Gaber. Our best shooters. Right now, it’s just Gaber and Blake passing the puck back and forth. It’s way too predictable.

I am actually curious if they’d ever try Johannes at center. I’m pretty sure I heard it said that he has played center before.