SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota @ UND - Rivalry Renewed - Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

If we play like we did in the first period and sustain that for an entire game, I like our chances.  Minnesota is a very good team.  They are fast and skilled.  We matched that and maybe surpassed it in the first period but looked sluggish the second and third.  Too many turnovers and odd man rushes given up after the first and just lacked the intensity and team play we saw in the first.  Our goalie looks legit and we do have some high level talent.  Maybe I’m overly optimistic but I expect we will be a much better team this year and hope by the second half we will find our consistency and our chemistry.  There were glimpses in the first of how good we can be.

We can all agree that this was a disappointing performance. This team was hyped after getting all of the transfers in. Then Manitoba happened. Then the men looked pretty good against the Badgers. Reality hits when you play only 20 minutes of 60 minute hockey, against arguably the best team in the sport. It’s not necessarily that they lost, but how they lost. Your Captain has to be one of your better players on the ice, and not a liability….

• Upvote 1

Can we all agree Schmaltz is a center? McLaughlin and Blake need Johannes to give some physical presence along with skill. I like James as an option there too. 3rd line is Schmaltz centering Strinden and Johannes/James. The V centers 4th line with 29 and 13. Was expecting more from the top line. I thought Berg was terrific vs WI. Last night....meh. That line will be better tonight. Emerson looked good with his limited shifts. Defensively considering UM speed and skill they played well overall. 32 is as good as advertised. This team is put together much better than the last couple seasons. Berry has no excuses if this group misses the NCAAs. The PP....more shots and less passing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can we all agree Schmaltz is a center? McLaughlin and Blake need Johannes to give some physical presence along with skill. I like James as an option there too. 3rd line is Schmaltz centering Strinden and Johannes/James. The V centers 4th line with 29 and 13. Was expecting more from the top line. I thought Berg was terrific vs WI. Last night....meh. That line will be better tonight. Emerson looked good with his limited shifts. Defensively considering UM speed and skill they played well overall. 32 is as good as advertised. This team is put together much better than the last couple seasons. Berry has no excuses if this group misses the NCAAs. The PP....more shots and less passing.

100% on this and he really never was one with a ton of offensive skill/upside which is why I was surprised they were trying him as wing when you have James ready for that slot. I've said this to a few people this summer/fall Schmaltz is a solid third line center on a good team who can kill penalties and maybe even matchup against other teams top lines. Don't force him into what he isn't. 

Just now, I Ranger said:

100% on this and he really never was one with a ton of offensive skill/upside which is why I was surprised they were trying him as wing when you have James ready for that slot. I've said this to a few people this summer/fall Schmaltz is a solid third line center on a good team who can kill penalties and maybe even matchup against other teams top lines. Don't force him into what he isn't. 

But that’s what Berry does, look at the top line from last year. 

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

It looked like we ran out of gas last night, happened lots of times last year also. Maybe time to rethink the training plan. Just my take. 

Agree with this take as well. It seemed like we gave everything we had in the first and then had nothing left the last two periods. Sure hope that isn't the case or that's a scary proposition! Everything came so easy for Minnesota after the first. We had no forecheck and they broke the puck out with ease and fluidity. Never made it hard on their defencemen. 

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

It looked like we ran out of gas last night, happened lots of times last year also. Maybe time to rethink the training plan. Just my take. 

Agreed maybe it’s time to take the cute stuff out of the locker room and just use ole fashion ladder skates on the rink and treadmills and iron weihhts

I think the lack of a returning D corps showed. There are some decent guys back there and it will get better. Goaltender was solid.  We have to be less stubborn up front and be willing to chip it in and go get it when the play isn’t there. Also shoot more!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think the lack of a returning D corps showed. There are some decent guys back there and it will get better. Goaltender was solid.  We have to be less stubborn up front and be willing to chip it in and go get it when the play isn’t there. Also shoot more!

Agree on the shooting, one too many passes a lot last night. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

32 was in his comfort zone last night, nobody scoring for him and his team giving up four breakaways. :lol:

He has been as advertised.  Just a calm presence in the net that doesn't get super out of position.  As the d grows together he could have a great season. 

• Upvote 1

Evolution of our opinions:

Off-season:  The returning players had great moments last year, and this year they'll play like that every shift.  The new guys are the exceptional players their junior coaches describe to Schlossman.  Destined to compete with each other for the Calder trophy in a few years.  

Manitoba and Army:  Peak optimism.  And a little worry that everyone is so good they're all one-and-done.  We're back, baby!

The rest of the first half:  Uh oh.  The other guys want to win too.  And holy crap they're pretty good.  We're in trouble.

Second half:  (Hopefully).  Made sense the new guys needed time to gel.  We're gonna be hard to handle the rest of the way.

37 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The Ralph is famously hospitable to 25 year old Canadians like Close.

This really is an underrated comment.

Like it's only gunna sell at a very specific gallery of comments.. but it's gunna go high to a learned and sophisticated bidder.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Schmaltz is another one who’s had a super long leash. I just don’t see it. Perron has to be on the top PP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Snake said:

If you go back and watch the fourth goal, Persson made the save, no one was near or challenged the Gophers shooter. They didn't clear the puck. That can be fixed. The Gophers played well last night, they got in the lanes and challenged the UND shooters all night long. I expect things will be better tonight. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

It appears to me our recruiting, has really dropped off and you could tell last night, but as Sony Stu would say he’s excited about our upcoming classes as an every classes

Are you still drunk? This year's freshmen and the incoming classes are going to be very good. I recommend listening to Schlossman's podcast. He's has a pretty good handle of the recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Goon said:

If you go back and watch the fourth goal, Persson made the save, no one was near or challenged the Gophers shooter. They didn't clear the puck. That can be fixed. The Gophers played well last night, they got in the lanes and challenged the UND shooters all night long. I expect things will be better tonight. 

I think that 4th goal was just from 0 effort because of the empty netter just before.

• Upvote 1