SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Figured you wouldn't actually put a name out there. Must easier to keep up the constant complaining when you won't take a stand on anything. They're is also a significant difference between "uninspiring" and "exquisite". There are very few "splashy" hires, especially given the overall circumstances. 

As to your other question, I've increased my donations to help the program, regardless of who the coach is. I remember where we were 10 years ago and the program is in a hell of a lot better spot and I don't want to see it end up back there. 

Oh I’ve definitely taken a stand (along with many others) and that is this program is heading no where great with Bubba. OC for 2024 will be an internal hire (promotion essentially) as per usual with Bubba. No one from outside the program is jumping onboard this sinking ship. I’ll stick my neck out and say probably Sam King or Joe Pawlak but I don’t know for sure. 

As for donations, mine are stagnant at this point with Bubba at the helm. 2021 extension after a losing season was the final straw. When (if) Chaves and the UND admin show they actually want to fund football like a top FCS program, and also demonstrate they have a top-tier vision, then I’d be happy to jump back onboard. In the meantime, simply watching this team in-person consistently lose big games - both at home and on the road - will have to do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I have to believe he is safer long term at St.Thomas vs coming to UND.

agreed but...depending on who we lose in april. (or gain/add).......the cupboard isn't totally bare. if he comes here and we do well maybe he gets what danny didn't want to wait for

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh I’ve definitely taken a stand (along with many others) and that is this program is heading no where great with Bubba. OC for 2024 will be an internal hire (promotion essentially) as per usual with Bubba. No one from outside the program is jumping onboard this sinking ship. I’ll stick my neck out and say probably Sam King or Joe Pawlak but I don’t know for sure. 

As for donations, mine are stagnant at this point with Bubba at the helm. 2021 extension after a losing season was the final straw. When (if) Chaves and the UND admin show they actually want to fund football like a top FCS program, and also demonstrate they have a top-tier vision, then I’d be happy to jump back onboard. In the meantime, simply watching this team in-person consistently lose big games - both at home and on the road - will have to do. 

I will continue my Champions Club donations and keep my football and hockey tickets. I will continue supporting UND in every way I can. But there is no questioning that the athletic department is as low as its ever been in my lifetime (I turn 50 in May). And pretending that things "aren't that bad" will only make the hole deeper and more difficult to get out of.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agreed but...depending on who we lose in april. (or gain/add).......the cupboard isn't totally bare. if he comes here and we do well maybe he gets what danny didn't want to wait for

This^^^^

An up and coming coach with some balls and confidence will take this job.  Three weeks ago this board was on board with the offense being the strength of this team. Nothing changed but the coach.  Two really good QBs, really good young RBs, one of the best WRs in FCS and a well above average OL.  Not a bad start for someone with a pair to prove it and the desire to move up. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, shep said:

In other news, DeBoer is listed as the favorite for Saban’s job.

Never wanna be the guy that replaces THE GUY. He can build something special at Washington,  and I'd assume they will pony up to keep him. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

What ever happend to the sports info department?

we used to have guys who thought they are on the team

nkw what do we have?

Sports info still seems pretty solid, just meant that it was also strong during the Wanless tenure, which showed he cared about all facets of department including elements not as visible to the average fan. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Landry 

same king

bsu oc 

umd oc 

wiu ex head cosch

Vogler, UMD OC had his offense average 37.7 points a game in 2023. I know nothing about the NSIC but he must be doing something right on offense. 

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Vogler, UMD OC had his offense average 37.7 points a game in 2023. I know nothing about the NSIC but he must be doing something right on offense. 

I’d be very surprised if an outside candidate - including even a D2 coordinator - would want to sign with this sinking ship, but you never know. Think back to the D coordinator spot last season - we all know how that went. This program is spiraling out of control and will continue to until a new top man gets the job. 

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

As to your other question, I've increased my donations to help the program, regardless of who the coach is. I remember where we were 10 years ago and the program is in a hell of a lot better spot and I don't want to see it end up back there. 

More on this; I can’t fathom how one could be content just because this program is doing better than they were at their worst. 2012/2013 were awful seasons, bottom of the barrel, and now you think we’re all good because we’re a “hell of a lot better” than that? That is asinine thinking. This program is better but certainly not anywhere near the best, because in the FCS, that means top 5-10. It’s very top heavy. Bubba has essentially not won a playoff game in 10 years, including some abysmal seasons (3-8 in 2017 and 5-6 in 2021) thrown in there; this program is absolutely just mediocre. It’s all smoke and mirrors to project otherwise. 

New leadership needed. Bubba has been inflated and overrated from the start, hence even the controversy regarding his hiring in 2013.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

More on this; I can’t fathom how one could be content just because this program is doing better than they were at their worst. 2012/2013 were awful seasons, bottom of the barrel, and now you think we’re all good because we’re a “hell of a lot better” than that? That is asinine thinking. This program is better but certainly not anywhere near the best, because in the FCS, that means top 5-10. It’s very top heavy. Bubba has essentially not won a playoff game in 10 years, including some abysmal seasons (3-8 in 2017 and 5-6 in 2021) thrown in there; this program is absolutely just mediocre. It’s all smoke and mirrors to project otherwise. 

New leadership needed. Bubba has been inflated and overrated from the start, hence even the controversy regarding his hiring in 2013.

Again with pretending anyone is content. Again, I ask you to show me that anyone has explicitly said "good enough". 

No one is. The program needs to keep improving. But most of us just don't want to see it slide backwards for that to happen to prove some sort of point or be able to say we were "right" about something. 

Pushing for things like improved facilities, player nutrition, coaches salaries, etc. are things that move the program forward. Not withholding funds and then complaining that things aren't improving. If anything, that seems asinine to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Again with pretending anyone is content. Again, I ask you to show me that anyone has explicitly said "good enough". 

No one is. The program needs to keep improving. But most of us just don't want to see it slide backwards for that to happen to prove some sort of point or be able to say we were "right" about something. 

Pushing for things like improved facilities, player nutrition, coaches salaries, etc. are things that move the program forward. Not withholding funds and then complaining that things aren't improving. If anything, that seems asinine to me.

There is complacency all around. No one is pretending. That narrative can go away. Overall, big picture-wise, there is complacency, and again, recent events suggest it exists also. We should not be losing coaches on lateral moves to peer instructions, and if it’s because a staff is considered to have no future, then they should be terminated now so that the next season (2024) isn’t doomed from the start. Again, complacency and contentment with mediocrity. Another example was the defensive coordinator spot last year; internal promotion, because nobody externally worthwhile was hired. As a result, we end up with a horrific defense. Next season, offensive coordinator leaves. Highly doubtful we will get an external candidate once again. Bubba’s stubbornness is stagnating and even possibly sinking this program.

We can agree to disagree, but your stance (and presumably the admin department’s stance) is the reason this program has been mediocre the past several seasons. But I am hopeful our time will come with eventual changes in light of upcoming new facility upgrades, but it won’t be 2024, maybe 2025 or 2026.

And you clearly don’t understand what an institutional or program-wide rebuild is. Sometimes you do in fact need to tear it down, or in other words take a step back, in order to take two steps forward. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Pushing for things like improved facilities, player nutrition, coaches salaries, etc. are things that move the program forward.

Genuine question, does any of this stuff really move the needle if we have a head coach that is a proven .500 level coach??

At the end of the day, you can go as far as your head coach can take you. Ours take us to mediocre levels and no playoff wins. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, homer said:

This^^^^

An up and coming coach with some balls and confidence will take this job.  Three weeks ago this board was on board with the offense being the strength of this team. Nothing changed but the coach.  Two really good QBs, really good young RBs, one of the best WRs in FCS and a well above average OL.  Not a bad start for someone with a pair to prove it and the desire to move up. 

Who knows if those players will be here come fall...My guess is at least 3 skilled offensive players will be gone.

10 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

Who knows if those players will be here come fall...My guess is at least 3 skilled offensive players will be gone.

A new OC will have spring ball to “recruit” his offensive players to stay and sell his system to them.  

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’d be very surprised if an outside candidate - including even a D2 coordinator - would want to sign with this sinking ship, but you never know. Think back to the D coordinator spot last season - we all know how that went. This program is spiraling out of control and will continue to until a new top man gets the job. 

D coordinator job opened in February, and our defense was a disaster. Very unlikely we would have had an outside candidate that was worthwhile.