SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

41 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

And the other co OC is going to be the play caller!!  He sees the writing on the wall. Bubba is extended thru 2025, but if they fail to win a playoff game, he’s getting canned. 

Maybe that’s a good thing. They will
Fire Bubba and the entire staff, then Danny comes in and interviews as an outside candidate and gets the job!!  Boom!

I was never excited about a Danny move up.   If you're going to start over, then start over with a clean slate, not Bubba 2.0.   Or is it Mussman 2.1?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

really hope someone at the heraldo looks into the pay disparities btw und and the dak 3.....then calls KEM and says were ripping up whatever contract is killing everything at und that isnt @undmhockey

Kennedy tried that and got his walking papers basically.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I think I’m done with our athletic Director. If he can’t find some money to match the damn pay this is embarrassing.

For me......its that the last extension he gave Bubba was ridiculous. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I was thinking Bubba's contract went through 2025 so he'd be done at end of 2025 season not 2024? 

Yeah next year feels like it will be a lost year, I just hope it's not two more of this mediocre Bubba performances. An even more frustrating than normal type year next I think actually. Not sure we keep it within 20 of NDSU in Fargo this fall.  I'm sure I'll be watching and muster up some excitement for the season come August. But like death and taxes.....there will be guaranteed frustration and heartache for UND football under Bubba. 

Contract goes to 2025, yes, but after a losing season in 2024, and losing Danny, plenty of folks - including even Chaves - will be forced to accept that a one year buy out is the best option and it’s time to move on.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Personally, I don't blame Danny one bit for this move. He left for a good program and more money. If the team has success (which they will) then he will get more opportunities. Maybe him and his wife decided they were ready to try moving around and seeing what happens. The alternative was to wait in GF for Bubba to be removed or retire and hope that he would be the next guy, with no guarantees.

I do place more blame on Chaves for letting the program get to this spot with coaching. I've acknowledged many times over that Bubba seems like a great guy and has done some nice things for this program, but if you have watch this team over the past few season, it just seems like he has consistently hit his ceiling.(If I have to continue to watch Bubba ball, then I hope I have to eat crow on that). 

Also disappointed in Bubba if he is really pissed off about the move and couldn't wish Danny well on taking an opportunity that may be best for his family. Seems tacky given the circumstances. I know Danny bleeds green, and maybe he will still come back to UND and coach again, but maybe he also saw how stagnant this program has been from a coaching, funding and leadership standpoint and decided a change was best. Who knows.

If he left to an FBS program, sure, I’d understand. But he is taking a lesser position (no longer play caller) at an in-conference rival institution; that is unreal, especially for someone like Danny who is (was) all about UND. Writing is on the wall. Bubba is cooked. He’s losing some of his best and most loyal assistants to in-conference rivals.

And lastly, but most importantly, this is also an indictment on the UND athletic department; they need to pay their assistant football coaches better or else absolute embarrassments like this will continue to happen and UND football will continue to be mediocre. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Kennedy tried that and got his walking papers basically.  

Kennedy tried it because there was a factual basis to it, but it ruffled the feathers of the rich and powerful, so the attempts were ceased quite quickly. 

Unfortunate. And here we are in 2024 and we’re still experiencing fallout.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

If Danny leaving gives us the opportunity to move pawlek up the chain, I'll take that hands down.

We’ll see what happens now. No great external candidates coming in now at this point. Will be forced to hire internally, but no one here now can coach quarterbacks. Not getting my hopes up. 2024 has lame duck year written all over it. Gonna likely be awful. But at least Bubba will be gone more likely than not. 

Does SDSU have an heir-apparent if Gronowski goes to Northwestern as some of you have said? Maybe Kaminski follows Freund if there is not an already anointed new starter. Is Feeney more likely to stay as the Hawks’ 2024 starter?

Pawlak could be leaving too. Maybe Danny wanted to get Joe a raise and Bunba said no so Danny gave him an ultimatum that he would leave if Joe didn’t get promoted.

Pawlak I thought was most likely to get poached and is STILL LIKELY!!!!!! Even NDSU could pay him more to be a line coach than being the UND OC. Maybe Bubba told Danny that Pawlak jumped him for the next head coach?

Even if Pawlak becomes the OC I still see lots of top guys hitting the portal. Both QB’s…… gone. Top RB’s…… gone. Bo and Tai……. Gone. The offensive players didn’t commit because of Bubba…… The offense was the only bright spot for the future and now that’s ruined. Why would Danny want to come back after Bubba gets canned and the team cupboards are completely empty. Instead of just staying to keep your top guys. 

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We’ll see what happens now. No great external candidates coming in now at this point. Will be forced to hire internally, but no one here now can coach quarterbacks. Not getting my hopes up. 2024 has lame duck year written all over it. Gonna likely be awful. But at least Bubba will be gone more likely than not. 

Only way to get good candidates at this point is to can Bubba now and hire some one like Luke S. or someone else as HC. Don’t want Danny as the future HC we better find a better backup plan now because if we wait all the good players hit the portal this spring

13 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Does SDSU have an heir-apparent if Gronowski goes to Northwestern as some of you have said? Maybe Kaminski follows Freund if there is not an already anointed new starter. Is Feeney more likely to stay as the Hawks’ 2024 starter?

The backup for SDSU has a higher upside than Gronowski..  He has a better arm and is a better athlete.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Chaves is a step behind with football.  He doesn't fully understand the landscape.  It would be hard to mess up the hockey program because it's premier, so even Chaves can't mess that up too bad playing checkers.  College football today is chess however, and if you are not 2-3 steps ahead you are behind.  

Kind of crazy coming from EWU when they were doing so well. I remember seeing the hire thinking it would be a really great move for football.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If he left to an FBS program, sure, I’d understand. But he is taking a lesser position (no longer play caller) at an in-conference rival institution; that is unreal, especially for someone like Danny who is (was) all about UND. Writing is on the wall. Bubba is cooked. He’s losing some of his best and most loyal assistants to in-conference rivals.

And lastly, but most importantly, this is also an indictment on the UND athletic department; they need to pay their assistant football coaches better or else absolute embarrassments like this will continue to happen and UND football will continue to be mediocre. 

Agreed, you would expect and FBS move and that would make even more sense, but money talks. That paired with working under someone who seems to have stalled out a few years back.

Its strange to move to a rival school for a slightly lesser role, but if they are going to pay you and you get to work on a championship staff, maybe its worth the move. We will know in a few years if he is still there, at a lower level school, out of coaching, or has moved up to bigger and better things.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If forcing Bubba out was gonna happen it would have happened when Danny gave his notice. I question Bubba's ego over what was best for the program. This will set UND football back at least five years. The big UND supporters that pushed the move to DI football  have really let the school down. Trying to run a DI program with DII funding. You could write a book on how The Ralph has caused the demise of sports at UND. They traded one hockey championship once a generation for perpetual mediocrity. With a heavy heart I am wondering how I am going to fill my weekends in the fall.

I slept on it, I’m still pissed. This hockey-only culture is absolutely atrocious for our University from a regional and national scope. Our football program - which includes assistant coaches salary pool - needs to be much better funded. This has been a topic of debate for years and nothing gets done. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If forcing Bubba out was gonna happen it would have happened when Danny gave his notice. I question Bubba's ego over what was best for the program. This will set UND football back at least five years. The big UND supporters that pushed the move to DI football  have really let the school down. Trying to run a DI program with DII funding. You could write a book on how The Ralph has caused the demise of sports at UND. They traded one hockey championship once a generation for perpetual mediocrity. With a heavy heart I am wondering how I am going to fill my weekends in the fall.

In all honestly, it should have happened at the end of the 2023 season. Didn’t happen. Here we are. The major issues are funding and doing what’s right for the football program, which should be facilitating much needed transition. Bubba is now the complacent old guy in charge and there is no energy or novel ideas to come anytime soon with that. That means that the program is at current dead in the water. Change is needed. The next OC hire is a big one for 2024, but I would be very surprised if it is anyone other than an internal hire. Who would want to hitch their coaching career to a soon to be retiring (or terminated) Bubba Schweigert? After beating NDSU in 2023, everything went down hill; Bubba lost his team including now his associate head coach. Inexcusable, and there needs to be consequences.

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In all honestly, it should have happened at the end of the 2023 season. Didn’t happen. Here we are. The major issues are funding and doing what’s right for the football program, which should be facilitating much needed transition. Bubba is now the complacent old guy in charge and there is no energy or novel ideas to come anytime soon with that. That means that the program is at current dead in the water. Change is needed. The next OC hire is a big one for 2024, but I would be very surprised if it is anyone other than an internal hire. Who would want to hitch their coaching career to a soon to be retiring (or terminated) Bubba Schweigert? 

They’ll probably promote Pawlak to OC, shuffle Sam King to QBs (his college position), hire a WR coach (might as well keep it in the family and call Hardin) and grab a GA for the OL…

Why?!?  Because it’s the UND way…that’s why!!!  Disgusting on all levels…no coach worth his salt is leaving to come here for $86k and a likely firing in a year…

• Upvote 3

SDSU is the playbook for FCS teams where football isn’t king. SDSU is, until the last 10 years or so, been a basketball centric university like UND is hockey.  They did all the right moves. Left D2 when SU left. Secured funds from donors and fund raised for probably the nicest overall facilities in the Missouri Valley. They slowly and methodically got better, and better, continuing to add resources in strength and conditioning, nutrition, better position coaches.  We didn’t move. Our facilities are getting better to be sure and like where they are going, but we are 10-15 years behind.  Geographically they are in a better place for families to come and watch their kids. Recruiting wise it’s close enough to a big town for kids to get on board with wanting to go to Brookings. You got a really want to want to play in Grand Forks. For us to win the way everyone wants us to win, we have to hands-down have the best of everything. And I don’t think the university, nor even the people on this board are willing to pony up and invest to do what it would take IMO. I think UND football will always have one hand behind its back unless the university and fan base/donors truly commit. And I think that’s why Danny left. He might be the only one truly playing chess.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

SDSU is the playbook for FCS teams where football isn’t king. SDSU is, until the last 10 years or so, been a basketball centric university like UND is hockey.  They did all the right moves. Left D2 when SU left. Secured funds from donors and fund raised for probably the nicest overall facilities in the Missouri Valley. They slowly and methodically got better, and better, continuing to add resources in strength and conditioning, nutrition, better position coaches.  We didn’t move. Our facilities are getting better to be sure and like where they are going, but we are 10-15 years behind.  Geographically they are in a better place for families to come and watch their kids. Recruiting wise it’s close enough to a big town for kids to get on board with wanting to go to Brookings. You got a really want to want to play in Grand Forks. For us to win the way everyone wants us to win, we have to hands-down have the best of everything. And I don’t think the university, nor even the people on this board are willing to pony up and invest to do what it would take IMO. I think UND football will always have one hand behind its back unless the university and fan base/donors truly commit. And I think that’s why Danny left. He might be the only one truly playing chess.

There is no question that there needs to be more funding. It’ll take the right type of leadership to secure that, though. People won’t provide funds unless they know there is a well thought out plan in place. It needs to be deliberate and intentional, and directed specifically towards University of North Dakota football. Frustrations are present currently because one of the good guys who has invested many recent years into University of North Dakota football, and looked to be the heir apparent, has now left, signifying the need for more priority and funding once again. Unfortunately, the writing has been on the wall in regards to this particular situation for year, and nothing gets done.

Bubba with Tim on 1440 this morning… “this is a great day to be part of UND football, we have a chance to name a new leader of our offense.  My phone is blowing up with all the interest for other coaches”.

never mentioned Danny once, just said how much excitement there is around the program right now… what a shame 

• Upvote 1

Wow anyone hear bubba on 1440

sounded like he was on coke this morning 

hasn’t met with that team yet but plans to today

says everyone that moves on makes their own bed etc

tim and the he golf guy said it’s a good move up for Danny. That is where I almost puked. So when is sdsu a step up 

they compared it to harbaugh leaving Michigan for nfl 

3 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Bubba with Tim on 1440 this morning… “this is a great day to be part of UND football, we have a chance to name a new leader of our offense.  My phone is blowing up with all the interest for other coaches”.

never mentioned Danny once, just said how much excitement there is around the program right now… what a shame 

I heard it to. Sounded very weird. Something is off

4 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Just listened as well. Confirmed even more that Bubba needs to go. This program is cooked

• Upvote 2