SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

The passing game just looks off.  I am not sure if it on the receivers, QB or just the timing of routes.  In addition, it seems that we have had a number of passes that were dropped in key moments this year.  Again, new QB, new offense (OC and line coach) and bascially new O Line.  Lot's of changes this year.  But, I will take 4-2.  The second half schedule has three key games SDSU and USD at home and ISU on the road.  If UND wins two of three and UND wins the games they should UNI, @YSU and @ISU-B.  They will finish the regular season at 9-3.  Everything is still ahead of them.

• Upvote 1

I really like Isaac.  You can tell he is honest in his response.  He sees Simon with a high ceiling.  Most of the FCS very good QB's can run and pass.

Simon needs the reps to be better.  We have the right OC.  See if he can develop the QB.  Cam was not a great QB first 2 years.  In his 5th year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Listen to Isaac.

Not the usual coach speak, and he’s still keeping a positive attitude.

wish someone asked. “How much easier is it going against the UND D in practice than against a tough defense in games?”

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Listen to Isaac.

Paraphrasing here......He calls certain plays so that his Junior (4th year in the program) can feel comfortable, and the way it sounds there are some plays he maybe doesn't call or stays away from because our 4th year QB isn't comfortable with them yet but will eventually work them in. Got it. Sounds like something Danny may have said after he had to pluck our 4th string true freshman Tommy off the bench to come in and lead us to a win against Sam Houston. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Paraphrasing here......He calls certain plays so that his Junior (4th year in the program) can feel comfortable, and the way it sounds there are some plays he maybe doesn't call or stays away from because our 4th year QB isn't comfortable with them yet but will eventually work them in. Got it. Sounds like something Danny may have said after he had to pluck our 4th string true freshman Tommy off the bench to come in and lead us to a win against Sam Houston. 

Big difference in this example.  Sammy had no film on Tommy.  Danny had the advantage of knowing what the defense would do in the first play out of 2nd half.   Bison had 5 games of film on Simon.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I really like Isaac.  You can tell he is honest in his response.  He sees Simon with a high ceiling.  Most of the FCS very good QB's can run and pass.

Simon needs the reps to be better.  We have the right OC.  See if he can develop the QB.  Cam was not a great QB first 2 years.  In his 5th year.

What’s the ceiling of Simon? Right now he’s probably the worst QB in the MVFC.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Should tell us about the prowess of the backups then

If that’s the case, why did we not hit the portal for a QB? Someone like Clifton McDowell ended up at McNeese State. I’m sure he would’ve loved to play Montana this year 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I think we have seen Simon's ceiling. It isn't good enough to be a starting D1 QB.

Also, Simon is in his 4th year. Not sure how Cam's first 2 years have anything to do with it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I guess I would hesitate to use high ceiling with someone that has been in your program quite a while.  Would be nice to have someone with a high ceiling that starts to attain it early in his career and can be a 3 year starter. 

13 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I agree. Fruechte is great hire. Would like to see him succeed Coach Schweigert as Bubba has opportunities within the athletic department outside of head ball coach. I also think it would a net positive for the football program and athletic program as a whole. Many times, in organizational leadership, a different lead voice can make all the difference. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

If that’s the case, why did we not hit the portal for a QB? Someone like Clifton McDowell ended up at McNeese State. I’m sure he would’ve loved to play Montana this year 

I think in the future the portal needs to be hit hard at certain positions (especially QB)- not sure Bubba’s stance on that, but will find out soon …

16 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Who is going to beat SU in Fargo - there is one school in the country who has a chance at that. 

I was going for hanging in the game and having a chance into the 4th quarter.  This game was over in my mind at A.) 7-0 just watching the line of scrimmage.  Other correct answers could be B.) When the Bison went up 14-0 in the 1st quarter, or C.) When Romfo fumbled to start the 2nd half.  We were never in the game and that sucked for us.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think in the future the portal needs to be hit hard at certain positions (especially QB)- not sure Bubba’s stance on that, but will find out soon …

I used to think recruiting and developing a great QB was the route to go but seeing as Jerry *apparently*  isn't good enough to play, I'm no longer sure.   But I have little faith in getting a top notch QB out of the portal either.   Seems those guys are available for a reason.

So is Jerry that bad that he can't beat out Romfo or is Bubba just not going to let him play?    Wish he'd be getting a few game day snaps.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Should tell us about the prowess of the backups then

Ceiling was the important word. The new OC probably put alot of weight into this years results and who was safer out the gate. Might be time to explore potential. At least a Payton package for Kaminski in my mind.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I was going for hanging in the game and having a chance into the 4th quarter.  This game was over in my mind at A.) 7-0 just watching the line of scrimmage.  Other correct answers could be B.) When the Bison went up 14-0 in the 1st quarter, or C.) When Romfo fumbled to start the 2nd half.  We were never in the game and that sucked for us.

I liked some of what we did towards the end of the 1st half, opening up some holes to move the ball on offense and making some stops on defense. UND started doing some delayed rushes/stunts and at least getting somewhat of a hand in Miller's face but he gets rid of the ball so quickly and we were playing not to get beat deep. His experience shined. Rucker missing him on a wide open shot was a killer. 

They set the tone on the opening kickoff (sounds familiar), we hung around enough were a score to open the second half makes it interesting. That fumble was a dagger.

A bit concerned that Z is banged up, SS missed the week before, Smith only had one touch because he's dinged up and Hunt didn't play. Would hope we wouldn't have to see what we have in Brunell or Parker even though I think both of them have a chance to be very good, need those first 4 to get healthy over the bye week. The staff alluded to taking advantage of the 4 game rule for freshman, probably going to see some of those guys worked in across the lineup, which isn't a bad thing if they can play fast and know what they are doing.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Ceiling was there important word. The new OC probably put alot of weight into this years results and who was safer out the gate. Might be time to explore potential. At least a Payton package for Kaminski in my mind.

Tough to argue with this. Bye week is a perfect time to explore it a little bit more.
You don't see a lot RFr starting at QB unless there's a reason (real special or injury).

The entire UND Football universe is in agreement that Bubba will never get this program to the top tier of FCS. We also have to be a bit realistic with his future. What's the best-case scenario? It won't be the ideal scenario, but what would the majority consider a success?

Retirement following the 2025 season, handing it over to Fruechte. Announce Fruechte as the associate head coach following this season.

What needs to happen during that time, is to improve two of the three categories where this program has fallen way short.

1. Improve road record. Let's start with beating the middle of the pack MVFC programs along with the bottom
  2. Win a playoff game or two
  3. Not embarrass yourself at NDSU (this one will be taken off the board for now, potentially place it back in the playoffs)

Those two goals are still realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

But I have little faith in getting a top notch QB out of the portal either.   Seems those guys are available for a reason.

To be frank, there are second and third string quarterbacks from FBS programs that are much better than anything we have, and they just want their chance. NIL will be key if UND can get someone like that. With that said, don’t get me wrong, developing good high school QB prospects is absolutely critical. Really, need to be capable of both (transfer portal and high school recruiting/development) to be successful. 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Sad truth/reality 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ceiling was there important word. The new OC probably put alot of weight into this years results and who was safer out the gate. Might be time to explore potential. At least a Payton package for Kaminski in my mind.

Payton and Kaminiski are in two different leagues … and playing styles. 

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I think we have seen Simon's ceiling. It isn't good enough to be a starting D1 QB.

Also, Simon is in his 4th year. Not sure how Cam's first 2 years have anything to do with it.

Simon really hadn't played until this year.  Cam play more as a true freshman.