SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

44 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he does not have a strong arm...he has to get his whole body into  his throws and that leads to ia state throws that land in the stands instead of an easy TD throw.......when he tried to hit that wr down the northeast sideline.....that's a long long throw for a small guy and it showed....he put everything he had into it and it landed 20 yards short or something....wr was kinda open iirc.

Pin page

• Upvote 1

yes...love it we haven't done ANY trick plays

would have loved to see deng come in on that turtle series when we went up the middle 3 times and kicked the chipshot......lineup deng on top and just throw itto the pylon and let him go at it.....

te is getting some looks/throws....need more

more screen passes....a jet sweep to kai.....

option with simon and a rb...i think wasington did that with jayden on his last td last night....i think he had the option to pitch it or turn it in (yes garbage td for my ffl team so loved it)

4 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

A win is a win. But UND will be facing stacked boxes moving forward. I hope UND makes it work. Things are more fun when the Dakota schools put a decent team on the field.

We know we will end up seeing stacked boxes as people figure it out. That is why there is still a lot of concern for many. Nice win for sure, but long ways to go and a long way for improvement.  

6 hours ago, wheelsup said:

As I recall.. last year you were calling Tommy Noodle arm and advocating for Jerry and Feeney.  Somehow this kid with no throwing ability (according to you) beat out both of those guys in an open competition.  Danny could have picked either one of those guys.. Fruechte also could have picked either of those guys and yet they both picked somebody else.  Lets give Romfo a chance here.

Whens the last time we beat the #4 team in the country..  Last year I think NDSU was #6 or #7 but I cant remember and the running game was the star of that show as well.  The impact of a great running game on our defensive performance cant be emphasized enough.

Agree with you on the interceptions.. they were basically the same play two different games.. I think he got hit on both throws..

maybe it's not danny's choice or fruchte's choice......there is a reason why bubba's winning % is hovering around 52%.

and if simon won bc of his "completion %"...what happens when his game time completion % is hovering around bubba's winning %......meant to be i guess.

i gave a romfo a chance....if you know anything about QB's that performance on saturday (throwing wise) was as bad as you can get at this level....majority of those throws were nowhere near where they were supposed to be...not close!

get jerry in there and use simon as the brockstar.......

Screenshot 2024-09-09 5.19.20 PM.png

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AJS said:

He clearly won't be an elite down-field passer, but you have to think we're seeing Romfo's floor right now. No way he wins the starting job if this is what he was showing in Fall camp. Need it to be sooner than later, but I have faith we'll see steady improvement passing starting this week.  

I agree we are seeing his floor. While he has some room for improvement and he may start getting more comfortable and make some better throws and better reads as he gets more snaps,  I just don't think his ceiling is all that much higher than it currently is when it comes to passing downfield, but I hope I'm wrong. He was accurate on some crucial slants though which if he is off on those it's a different game. When the easy ones are there for the taking, definitely have to have success on those. 

Also even though we all wanted to stretch the field....might as well take those fly patterns out of the play calling for a while...both were picked off. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I’m sure Isaac doesn’t want to show everything the whole play book

what we did Saturday was ground and pound

I would think with the next three opponents he won't show too much else either, we shouldn't need it.....or I wouldn't think we should. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe it's not danny's choice or fruchte's choice......there is a reason why bubba's winning % is hovering around 52%.

and if simon won bc of his "completion %"...what happens when his game time completion % is hovering around bubba's winning %......meant to be i guess.

i gave a romfo a chance....if you know anything about QB's that performance on saturday (throwing wise) was as bad as you can get at this level....majority of those throws were nowhere near where they were supposed to be...not close!

Quite a conspiracy theory there.. somebody else mentioned that one to me the other day as well.  My bet is the OC picks the QB..  I would guess if it was up to the HC only or was some political thing he would have picked Feeney or Jerry to better maintain the Moorhead or Wisconsin connection versus the Calvin ND connection. 

all that being said.. hopefully Romfo continues to improve his throwing.  It will be hard to win running only and if he can only run we will need the backup qb before the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kinda funny but during the game or before they did a flashback video of a game v montana a few years back and ketts was dropping 50 yard bombs left and right for td's.....

I’ll take Romfo over Kett 10 out of 10 times.. Kett could throw a heck of a ball.. but man was he a head case.  He single-handedly lost multiple games and I’ll never forget the game that he was screaming at the home crowd after a few of the faithful were booing him from the end zone.. 2019 would have been a much better year if they never gave him the starting spot back after Tommy won the Sam Houston game.

anyhow.. Romfo obviously needs to improve in the throwing category.  Put me in the category of those who think we have seen the floor.  If he was this bad in the spring and fall camp I can’t imagine he would be starting.  If he was this bad and still is starting we might want to be careful about hoping for the backup.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I would think with the next three opponents he won't show too much else either, we shouldn't need it.....or I wouldn't think we should. 

Maybe Deng can throw a coming out party on Oct 5th.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kinda funny but during the game or before they did a flashback video of a game v montana a few years back and ketts was dropping 50 yard bombs left and right for td's.....

And interceptions.  and flipping the bird to fans.  Strong but throwing in two double coverage.  He had a few game way too many turnovers.

26 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

And interceptions.  and flipping the bird to fans.  Strong but throwing in two double coverage.  He had a few game way too many turnovers.

I remember that bird, was standing right above him when he did it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

I’ll take Romfo over Kett 10 out of 10 times.. Kett could throw a heck of a ball.. but man was he a head case.  He single-handedly lost multiple games and I’ll never forget the game that he was screaming at the home crowd after a few of the faithful were booing him from the end zone.. 2019 would have been a much better year if they never gave him the starting spot back after Tommy won the Sam Houston game.

anyhow.. Romfo obviously needs to improve in the throwing category.  Put me in the category of those who think we have seen the floor.  If he was this bad in the spring and fall camp I can’t imagine he would be starting.  If he was this bad and still is starting we might want to be careful about hoping for the backup.  

your joking right?

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

your joking right?

Maybe a little optimistic but certainly not joking.. If you remember the 2018 (6-5, missed the playoffs) and 2019 (7-5, lost to NS in the playoffs) teams.  Kett won some games and also clearly lost some very winnable games while also flipping off the home crowd.

Im optimistic that we have seen the floor with Romfo (could be wrong.. Im just a guy on the internet).  I think his floor is higher than Kett's but Ketts ceiling was probably higher.  This years team, and likely the 2018 and 2019 teams would have been better off with a higher floor guy and not the wide swings.

I also hope we get to see some Jerry time.. just like I wish we had gotten to see more of Feeney last year.  Hopefully due to us having a big lead and not injury related.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I'm not going to say Jerry it the automatic answer ... if he was, why didn't he win the job out of camp.... and I certainly don't have the inside info.

But I would really like to see UND pull away early in this one and get Jerry on the field. Let's give the kid a chance to at least get some real playing time and make some throws. Maybe you find a new wrinkle to this offense that would come in handy. Heck, I'd even like to just see how well Jerry can scramble. No doubt Simon can run and make plays, but if he continues to start, he needs to be able to do more with his arm.

At the end of the day .... just keep winning!

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not going to say Jerry it the automatic answer ... if he was, why didn't he win the job out of camp.... and I certainly don't have the inside info.

But I would really like to see UND pull away early in this one and get Jerry on the field. Let's give the kid a chance to at least get some real playing time and make some throws. Maybe you find a new wrinkle to this offense that would come in handy. Heck, I'd even like to just see how well Jerry can scramble. No doubt Simon can run and make plays, but if he continues to start, he needs to be able to do more with his arm.

At the end of the day .... just keep winning!

why didn't jerry win the job?

ask bubba why he can only win 52% of his games......if it's one thing...it's the next...... along with time management and coaches decisions.....u asking to solve a million dollar question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ask bubba why he can only win 52% of his games......if it's one thing...it's the next...... along with time management and coaches decisions.....u asking to solve a million dollar question.

if your so smart, why doesn't Bubba ask you?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

He was less accurate and less mobile during the entirety of camp, plus he's only been in the program for a year so doesn't have as good of handle on things. For those reasons, the new OC, who had no allegiance to any of the QB's, picked someone else.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He was less accurate and less mobile during the entirety of camp, plus he's only been in the program for a year so doesn't have as good of handle on things. For those reasons, the new OC, who had no allegiance to any of the QB's, picked someone else.

But, boy, could he sling it.