SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, shep said:

This is the new normal.

Get young guys onto the field. If they develop well, they're off to greener pastures (more money). 

Rinse, repeat.

To some extent, yes, but how many key players transferred from NDSU, SDSU, USD this offseason? Two from NDSU, were there any from the South Dakota schools? Without the Coaching changes at UND you see two less key players and the outlook is completely different. Take out the 5th year transfers now, and it'll be even less.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that schools like the Montana / Dakota's who are investing in Athletics can keep the "key" player losses to 3 or less each year. Some years you might see more, some less. 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

To some extent, yes, but how many key players transferred from NDSU, SDSU, USD this offseason? Two from NDSU, were there any from the South Dakota schools? Without the Coaching changes at UND you see two less key players and the outlook is completely different. Take out the 5th year transfers now, and it'll be even less.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that schools like the Montana / Dakota's who are investing in Athletics can keep the "key" player losses to 3 or less each year. Some years you might see more, some less. 

Which two would have stayed and if you make the case for two why would any of them have left?

I suppose my cynical point is, it's not going to be about coaches as much as it will be about money. 

Not saying that coaches don't matter, but the almighty dollar reigns supreme. 

How many adults work for jerks but get paid well for doing it?

4 minutes ago, shep said:

Which two would have stayed and if you make the case for two why would any of them have left?

I suppose my cynical point is, it's not going to be about coaches as much as it will be about money. 

Not saying that coaches don't matter, but the almighty dollar reigns supreme. 

How many adults work for jerks but get paid well for doing it?

Borud / Hagen would have stayed without the coaching changes. Hagen was on Izzo's show and said as much. Pretty easy math with those two given they didn't leave after Fall camp. Kilty did leave for $. 

Nobody will disagree with your premise; I just don't believe for Football it has to be as prevalent for FCS schools that invest in their programs. Look no further than the other Dakota schools / Montana this past year. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Borud / Hagen would have stayed without the coaching changes. Hagen was on Izzo's show and said as much. Pretty easy math with those two given they didn't leave after Fall camp. Kilty did leave for $. 

Nobody will disagree with your premise; I just don't believe for Football it has to be as prevalent for FCS schools that invest in their programs. Look no further than the other Dakota schools / Montana this past year. 

Hagen followed a coach and just had to choose which one to follow. There was probably tampering involved but no way to prove it or stop it. 

14 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Hagen followed a coach and just had to choose which one to follow. There was probably tampering involved but no way to prove it or stop it. 

Coach left because UND program is perceived by those on the inside as being on thin ice. Response by leadership was to extend the leader and “motivator” that led them onto said thin ice. Real risky “bold” move I’d say. If one wishes for ongoing success despite the old voice still in place, then need to hope the new facilities brings in an upper tier of talent previously not seen at UND, and hope the new OC is a prodigy. 

Which true freshman do we think will contribute? With the 4 games, more than back in the day maybe but any that will go over 4 games? I always take a look at the numbers the players have and if they are the only ones with that number, they may be ones playing more. Not a perfect science by any means. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Which true freshman do we think will contribute? With the 4 games, more than back in the day maybe but any that will go over 4 games? I always take a look at the numbers the players have and if they are the only ones with that number, they may be ones playing more. Not a perfect science by any means. 

I am going to say Langden College due to him coming in early this spring and the lack of returners on the defensive line. Also add in Eric Paye as he looks college ready physically. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I am going to say Langden College due to him coming in early this spring and the lack of returners on the defensive line. Also add in Eric Paye as he looks college ready physically. 

Deng Deng came to mind for me. He might be a little raw but if he really is putting in work with Bo, you never know. If we weren’t as deep at RB as we are, I’d say Colton Brunell too. 

Since joining the MVFC, UND has been below average in the league defensively every year. The Hawks are DUE to have a strong defense. Maybe a bunch of fresh bodies compared to last year will help? Shouldn't take a ton to improve in each of these categories. Second season of Joel's 'simplified' scheme - lots to prove. Green goggles are on due to camp starting today!

2023 MVFC rank: 

Total defense - 9th

Scoring defense - 7th

Rushing defense - 9th 

Pass defense - 8th 

Sacks - 9th

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Since joining the MVFC, UND has been below average in the league defensively every year. The Hawks are DUE to have a strong defense. Maybe a bunch of fresh bodies compared to last year will help? Shouldn't take a ton to improve in each of these categories. Second season of Joel's 'simplified' scheme - lots to prove. Green goggles are on due to camp starting today!

2023 MVFC rank: 

Total defense - 9th

Scoring defense - 7th

Rushing defense - 9th 

Pass defense - 8th 

Sacks - 9th

You would hope it couldnt get any worse, last year was the worst I’ve ever seen!

• Upvote 1

I'm hearing rumors that UND can increase the number of hockey schollies from 18 to 26.   Now that money has to come from somewhere.   I suppose the GOBC will pitch in but after that it might siphoned off from other programs.   We could cut women's hockey, but they already did.   Hmmm, what other major program could they steal from?   Hmmmm.

And remember, an increase in hockey schollies means an increase for some women's sports too.

I'm not against increasing hockey, but seriously, where's the money coming from?

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Deng Deng came to mind for me. He might be a little raw but if he really is putting in work with Bo, you never know. If we weren’t as deep at RB as we are, I’d say Colton Brunell too. 

But in today's NIL/Portal climate, do you really want to see a true frosh show what he's got?

10 hours ago, shep said:

But in today's NIL/Portal climate, do you really want to see a true frosh show what he's got?

I can't tell if you're joking or not......

Please tell me you are joking

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I can't tell if you're joking or not......

Please tell me you are joking

I'm not sure I was joking as much as commiserating about the new normal in the game.

Young guys are going to look to greener pastures once they establish themselves as players. They will be more valuable with 3 years of eligibility rather than 1 though as we saw with Kilty, if you're really good, one year is still worth some big bucks.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

SMH, this program is not doing nearly what it should be and there is nothing anybody can do about it.  

I am looking forward to the opening night games vs the Griz (with half of seats I've had for 2+ decades) but after that we'll see.

15 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I'm hearing rumors that UND can increase the number of hockey schollies from 18 to 26.   Now that money has to come from somewhere.   I suppose the GOBC will pitch in but after that it might siphoned off from other programs.   We could cut women's hockey, but they already did.   Hmmm, what other major program could they steal from?   Hmmmm.

And remember, an increase in hockey schollies means an increase for some women's sports too.

I'm not against increasing hockey, but seriously, where's the money coming from?

Given the size of the hockey fanbase, the success of the former players, and zero need to have ever fundraise for hockey facilities (thanks to Engelstads), perhaps they could leverage that to start a fundraising drive to endow the added hockey schollarships?

Curious if UND ever solicits donations from NHL alumni.  I'm guessing they probably donate anonymously because UND has a surprisingly large endowment for athletics, and some of the older guys seem to be involved, but I don't know anything.  I think a hockey focused fundraising effort would make a lot of sense though.

• Upvote 2