SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

4 hours ago, shep said:

I get all that but how often does a OL Coach become an OC?

Too lazy to research

More often than the WR coach, less often than the QB coach, just spit balling but I believe this to be true.

Looking at the lineup for the fan lunch today and Bubba is not on it. That is very poor thinking. Chavez should have required him to address the current status the the team. I predict low attendance, low energy and lots of concerns at this event. I am sure they are hoping that hockey will rule the event, which is part of the problem. It is tough to be a UND football fan right now. 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Looking at the lineup for the fan lunch today and Bubba is not on it. That is very poor thinking. Chavez should have required him to address the current status the the team. I predict low attendance, low energy and lots of concerns at this event. I am sure they are hoping that hockey will rule the event, which is part of the problem. It is tough to be a UND football fan right now. 

UND hockey is all they care about at this point in time. It’s hockey season; football manners all put on hold.

I agree - very sad state of affairs for UND football (and basketball or any other sport not played on ice at UND).  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

AD doesn't set the lineup. 

They concentrate on getting a few coaches from the main seasons in progress (hockey and WBB this week) and sprinkle in minor sport coaches to fill it. 

Bubba will likely speak after the next signing day. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They concentrate on getting a few coaches from the main seasons in progress (hockey and WBB this week) and sprinkle in minor sport coaches to fill it. 

@jdub27

wanna “make a stand” and predict the number of wins in 2024?

Too early for solid predictions in my estimation, as don’t even know Fall roster or coaching staff at this point, but just curious since you’re kinda a 99% glass full kind of guy for UND…

I’ll just say that at this early juncture - with the right to change predictions based on upcoming staff/roster changes - that I see a 6-6 season upcoming in 2024. Of course, I certainly hope that leads to a house cleaning. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Come on. You're spoiling the narrative again.

When is the next signing day -- February? Kind of expected some kind of release this week on incoming mid-year portal transfers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 wins are going to be hard to come by next year.  7 wins doesn't guarantee you a playoff spot next year in a 12 game season.  If this team does not make the playoffs this year, I don't know how you can keep Bubba.  As previously stated, they aren't going to have Bubba coach a lame duck season in 2025 without a new contract.  So if this team doesn't win at least 8 games this year and at least make the playoffs, Bubba is gone.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Maybe he's looking for an OC?:D

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

6 wins are going to be hard to come by next year.  7 wins doesn't guarantee you a playoff spot next year in a 12 game season.  If this team does not make the playoffs this year, I don't know how you can keep Bubba.  As previously stated, they aren't going to have Bubba coach a lame duck season in 2025 without a new contract.  So if this team doesn't win at least 8 games this year and at least make the playoffs, Bubba is gone.  

I'm not breaking any news here, but I think it's important to get realistic with the situation. It's fact that under the current UND leadership (Armacost / Chaves) that with the Athletic Department, your job performance does not matter. This athletic department performance under Chaves has been an embarrassing dumpster fire. There's no reason to believe it'll change. The post yesterday about Bubba getting an extension. I'm sure that will be the outcome. I really am shocked that as an alumni base / donors that what's happening is apparently ok.  It's so frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hawkster said:

For those that think Bubba is going to see the writing on the wall and retire after next year, I'm betting he won't.   No way is Bubba leaving $265,000 on the table and that's what he gets for 2025 if he get fired.   That's a hell of a nice early retirement gift.

For the love of all things holy couldn't we have negotiated a re-assignment to the athletic department/fundraising for the last two years?!?  Would take Bubba stepping down in a mutual parting of ways...a la Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft (but without the titles)...

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Had fan luncheon at Suite Shots in Fargo on Tuesday.

Had Sather, Vahrenkamp, Boysen, and Goehring.

I have only a tiny knowledge and interest in Chaves or football, but him coming from Eastern Washington, my thought was he would be good for the football program?  So why is he seem to be "quiet quitting"?  what happened at EWU?  Did he see something here that pushed him to this strategy?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I have gut feeling Chaves comes in next week or two and extends Bubba’s contract a year based on this past year. The under lying reason is to bring outside OC giving that person that will be some continuity in the program. This would guarantee at least two or three year commitment. Second if he doesn’t we loose players and have terrible season go backwards  loss in revenues and having back to back seasons limbo could destroy the program even worse then 2013 year and then to get somebody to take over the program may set the program back even further. I believe Chaves wants continuity and having program maintains upper quality level with ability to get to championship level and within long-term goal of staying in budget. I wonder what will be reaction from people on this board if this happens. 

I don't like losing players, but we don't have anyone so good that keeping them justifies a coaching extension.

If we hire the right guy, they can get their own high end players. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Everything starts up front with the O-line.  O-line Coach knows RB and TE blocking responsibilities.  O-Line coaches have a base belief and strong working knowledge of blocking concepts in run/pass game.  O-Line, especially Center has in game checks and their O-line Coach teaches them. O-Line coaches are involved in schematics with OC I believe in most cases. (If we can't block it, we can't run it).  O-Line coach knows realistic timing of each play.

Playing time helps anywhere from a little to quite a bit.  It's never hurt a coach having a ton of playing time.

But do they know when to call a triple reverse?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Had fan luncheon at Suite Shots in Fargo on Tuesday.

Had Sather, Vahrenkamp, Boysen, and Goehring.

They do run the Fargo one a little bit differently due to frequency and distance.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@jdub27

wanna “make a stand” and predict the number of wins in 2024?

Too early for solid predictions in my estimation, as don’t even know Fall roster or coaching staff at this point, but just curious since you’re kinda a 99% glass full kind of guy for UND…

I’ll just say that at this early juncture - with the right to change predictions based on upcoming staff/roster changes - that I see a 6-6 season upcoming in 2024. Of course, I certainly hope that leads to a house cleaning. 

Without know the OC, who else we'll lose in the portal and who we'll gain? No different than you, not going to throw what would be a random guess out there.
I think the defense needs to get a couple more guys (or see significant improvement from the ones on campus), we need to retain our offensive talent (have concerns about 1-2 players at the moment) and get an OC that will be able to use said talent and work with two young QB's.
The schedule isn't going to be a cakewalk with 3 of this year's 4 semi-finalist plus an FBS game. The conference road schedule is decent, so that is helpful given road issues.

Could be as low as 5, could be as high as 11 (assuming everything possible goes right). A ton of variance out there 7.5+ months before the season starts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While I have appreciate the kelly green glasses optimism year after year I'd give this team a 5% chance to win 9 game or more next season.....and 5% is probably high.

• Like 2